ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 04-13-18, 11:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,503 Times in 824 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
Tell boss of pre-emptive job search??

Should I tell my boss I am looking in kind of a preemptive way. Letting him know I'll be out of his hair soon or is that worse and can lead to him cutting me loose even if there weren't immediate plans to do so?
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 04-13-18, 12:14 PM

Thanked 3,718 Times in 1,890 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: Tell boss of pre-emptive job search??

I think it can go either way.

Is he mad at you about something right now that makes you think he's about ready to fire you?

Something happened a long time ago to me once. we lost an over $1 million dollar contract cause my company proposed me as the manager for a project and we didn't know that one of the judges for that project didn't like me. That judge made it sound like there was something really wrong with me saying I did the exact opposite of what they asked for (it's possible I didn't hear what they said due to my adhd).

I was afraid I was going to be fired so I spoke with a lawyer. Lawyer told me to set up a meeting with my boss.

At that meeting, tell my boss i wanted to make him happy and do the best job that I can. And ask him how I can do that. What areas or what would he like me to do something differently in?

The lawyer told me to watch and listen to my boss. He said that based on his body language, tone of voice, and what he said, I would know if my boss wanted to fire me or not. that lawyer was absolutely right. I felt 98% certain my boss wasn't going to fire me after that meeting and he didn't.

The lawyer had said to disclose if he was going to fire me but don't disclose otherwise. Disclosure can buy you time to find another job for sure but the risk of people knowing about your adhd (that knowledge might spread to other companies as well) might make it that you are better off just being fired than disclosing (though I didn't feel that was the case in my situation).

My recommendation is to set up a meeting like that with your boss to see if you think he's going to fire you if you aren't really certain right now. If you are certain, then it's really about his personality on what you do.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (04-13-18)
Old 04-13-18, 04:15 PM

finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
I think it can go either way.

Is he mad at you about something right now that makes you think he's about ready to fire you?

Something happened a long time ago to me once. we lost an over $1 million dollar contract cause my company proposed me as the manager for a project and we didn't know that one of the judges for that project didn't like me. That judge made it sound like there was something really wrong with me saying I did the exact opposite of what they asked for (it's possible I didn't hear what they said due to my adhd).

I was afraid I was going to be fired so I spoke with a lawyer. Lawyer told me to set up a meeting with my boss.

At that meeting, tell my boss i wanted to make him happy and do the best job that I can. And ask him how I can do that. What areas or what would he like me to do something differently in?

The lawyer told me to watch and listen to my boss. He said that based on his body language, tone of voice, and what he said, I would know if my boss wanted to fire me or not. that lawyer was absolutely right. I felt 98% certain my boss wasn't going to fire me after that meeting and he didn't.

The lawyer had said to disclose if he was going to fire me but don't disclose otherwise. Disclosure can buy you time to find another job for sure but the risk of people knowing about your adhd (that knowledge might spread to other companies as well) might make it that you are better off just being fired than disclosing (though I didn't feel that was the case in my situation).

My recommendation is to set up a meeting like that with your boss to see if you think he's going to fire you if you aren't really certain right now. If you are certain, then it's really about his personality on what you do.
Thank you for replying.

If I were spending 1 million dollars on something I would make sure that everyone heard me and knew exactly what I wanted and how I wanted it. I don't think your ADHD had a whole lot to do with it.

I am an RN so the mistakes we may make can injure/kill someone, our license can get suspended or revoked and/or get fired. The law can even be brought into it *See below.* It is much, much easier to fire nurses which is good and bad. Nursing is a strange creature which could not be a worse fit for someone with ADHD- Inattentive.

I'm not tell him about my ADHD just telling that I was looking for another job. It's my thinking is that he would be relieved and since I'm on my way out, firing would be harsh. It wasn't one the definite fireable offenses although they could.

He mentioned retraining and talked of how to ensure this won't happen again. I already feel inadequate there for reasons that may just seem big to me due to ADHD and low self-esteem but no one else cares. The retraining and how that plays out will only make it 100% worse. Maybe telling him I'm looking for another job would affect the retraining since I'm leaving? Retraining isn't even the issue!! ADHD and this type of job being a mismatch (like my last RN job) is the real issue!! Getting a job in healthcare where my strengths can shine is the answer!!

Later in the day, he asked me to write a statement about what happened right there on the spot. I wrote about the part of the mistake that was black and white not adding the part that is done by others with zero thought given. I suspect that the physician who is involved had a particular issue with it as he was already upset with the real mistake. I don't know if that could be used against me or not.

Before leaving for the day, another RN was helping me with the same task I had done "incorrectly" and she was going to do the exact same thing that I did without one thought given but we didn't need it. smh........

Also, a supervisor who was also in the meeting was joking with me later on which gave me hope that I would not be fired so that gave me hope. Should this give me hope??? I don't know.

*All states and territories have enacted a nurse practice act (NPA). Each state’s NPA is enacted by the state’s legislature. The NPA itself is insufficient to provide the necessary guidance for the nursing profession, therefore, each NPA establishes a board of nursing (BON) that has the authority to develop administrative rules or regulations to clarify or make the law more specific. Rules and regulations must be consistent with the NPA and cannot go beyond it. These rules and regulations undergo a process of public review before enactment. Once enacted, rules and regulations have the full force and effect of law.*

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-18, 05:14 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 19,666 Times in 9,834 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Don't tell them until you have a new job in hand and are giving notice.

Telling them in advance gains you nothing, in my opinion, and could backfire in unfortunate ways.

As long as you're just looking, you don't have a job to fall back on, and they don't know when you'll "be out of their hair". If they felt the retraining was necessary (either for real, or to cover their rears), it's unlikely they'd let you out of it just because you claim you're planning to leave. They might decide that rather than put time/effort/money into retraining you if you're planning to leave soon anyway, they should just cut you loose now.

So keep looking for a new, better place to shine, but at your current job, try to work as though you were going to be working there long-term.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (04-13-18), Greyhound1 (04-24-18), Little Nut (04-14-18), peripatetic (04-13-18), stef (04-13-18), SuperSparks (04-16-18)
Old 04-13-18, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post

Telling them in advance gains you nothing, in my opinion, and could backfire in unfortunate ways.

As long as you're just looking, you don't have a job to fall back on, and they don't know when you'll "be out of their hair". If they felt the retraining was necessary (either for real, or to cover their rears), it's unlikely they'd let you out of it just because you claim you're planning to leave. They might decide that rather than put time/effort/money into retraining you if you're planning to leave soon anyway, they should just cut you loose now.

So keep looking for a new, better place to shine, but at your current job, try to work as though you were going to be working there long-term.
Thanks for replying. I didn't think of it that way but it makes complete sense!!! That might be exactly what they could do!

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-14-18)
Old 04-16-18, 06:17 PM

SuperSparks will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post

What namazu says is the way to go in my opinion. Don't cloud up the waters for nothing. Just think about your own personal advancement in this and tell the boss when it's actually time to leave. This is how things are done formally and I see no reason for deviation. My 2p.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperSparks For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (04-16-18)
Old 04-16-18, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparks View Post
What namazu says is the way to go in my opinion. Don't cloud up the waters for nothing. Just think about your own personal advancement in this and tell the boss when it's actually time to leave. This is how things are done formally and I see no reason for deviation. My 2p.
Thanks for replying. I did not say anything to him. You are correct in that telling a boss in advance isn't how it's done.

Old 04-22-18, 01:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

cobain67 has a spectacular aura aboutcobain67 has a spectacular aura about

IMO don't let him know until you've solidified something else.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobain67 For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (05-08-18)
Old 04-22-18, 01:51 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 21,693 Times in 12,794 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

I would say do not tell them you're leaving until you have another job lined up, if they know you're leaving before you got something else lined up they could make your life a misery.
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-18, 09:04 PM

Thanked 2,533 Times in 1,186 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

The only time you wanna announce you are leaving ... is if you're someone with say 3 or 4 x your salary in the bank ... not in retirement account... but in savings account in addition to retirement ... and in addition to no cc debt, fully paid car and so on.

Companies sometimes seem to have this thing of humiliating people who announce they wanna quit.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-18, 04:58 PM

Quote:
The only time you wanna announce you are leaving ... is if you're someone with say 3 or 4 x your salary in the bank ... not in retirement account... but in savings account in addition to retirement ... and in addition to no cc debt, fully paid car and so on.

Companies sometimes seem to have this thing of humiliating people who announce they wanna quit.
I don't have that kind of $$ at all! I can see the humiliation happening so easily there!! There are people there who fly just under the radar of officially humiliating people.