ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-18, 03:46 PM

Muminn is on a distinguished road
Is medication good or bad for substance abuse

(To skip my rant go to the bold part of the text)

I am a young adult in my twenties from Sweden.
I study computer science at the university. I dont have a diagnosis, yet anyways, but I want a prescription for vyvanse.

I have a really hard time concentrating on work. And the only times I do well is when I use different substances to get motivated and concentrated
on my studies. My biggest problems seems to be daydreaming, lack of motivation and focus. I use substances because they help me so much with those issues.

But i have been smart about using. I have never been trough a real withdrawal. But I guess some people would label me as an addict. Even though i don't look at myself that way. I simply use drugs to get my life in order. Drugs i have used to help me study: Kratom, opium, ritalin, vyvanse, coffe, tobacoo, alcohol and more .

Like I said, I am still young and I know that this cant go on forever. My thinking is that a prescription for vyvanse would be better because then my use would be more in control i guess.

But my question is. Is taking regular amphetamines going to be good or bad for my "substance abuse problem"? I am thinking like i said that it might be good because then my usage would be more in control under the supervision of a doctor.

But i have also read that using stimulants actually triggers parts of the brain that are responsible for addiction and drug seeking? So my fear is that prescription might actually make me become a even more of a "real drug addict".

Don't know what to make of medication yet. To be fair I don't only rely on substances, I found that working out, eating well and scheduling my time also helps somewhat. But nothing works so well like the drugs, and all those things together works the best!