ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you remember good or bad memories more easily?
Good ones of course! 7 46.67%
Bad ones! :-( 8 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-14, 08:28 PM
ADDvanced Member

DistractedLemur is just really niceDistractedLemur is just really niceDistractedLemur is just really niceDistractedLemur is just really nice
Do you remember good stuff or bad stuff more?

I came across this article about how we tend to remember good things more than bad things, which struck a chord because I find the opposite! Lately anyway.

Do you find you remember good or bad things more?

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-27193607
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DistractedLemur For This Useful Post:
eclectic beagle (05-04-14), Karamo (05-04-14)
Old 05-04-14, 08:39 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,346 Times in 7,393 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you remember good stuff or bad stuff more?

I can usually remember both very good and bad things that have happened to me.

I tend to think more about the bad ones though. I remember the good ones and dwell on the bad ones usually.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Karamo (05-04-14), LmpySpcPrincess (05-04-14)
Old 05-04-14, 08:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

Karamo is a jewel in the roughKaramo is a jewel in the roughKaramo is a jewel in the rough

I remember good stuff almost exclusively. Or well, I remember significant events on both ends but the positive ones always appear when reflecting "back upon a time".

I reckon it is weird because I am a very, VERY negative person, a trait, one of many, that I loathe about myself. Of course this trait is attributed to my depression and not by definition to my own core person. When amongst people in real life, I am always faking (successfully) a cheery, happy, carefree and optimistic persona so no one would ever guess.

The problem is that constantly remembering the good things, the few successes I've had in life and the little happiness that I've enjoyed truly and totally paralyzes me. It FREEZES me and tears me up. It furthers my negativity so immensely and effectively removes any motivation or will to do or accomplish anything. GAH!

Coo-coo! xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAWTFoP7Jfk
The Following User Says Thank You to Karamo For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (05-04-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-14, 09:12 PM

drvenom will become famous soon enough

I remember all the good delicacies life has offered me
Karamo (05-04-14)
Old 05-04-14, 09:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,575 Times in 870 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

Hands down, the bad ones. I wish it weren't this way but it is.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 05-04-14, 09:57 PM
Contributor

Crosswired is a jewel in the roughCrosswired is a jewel in the roughCrosswired is a jewel in the rough

Unfortunately, I tend to ruminate exclusively on the bad memories and past failures. I know it's counter-productive to dwell in the past, but I can't shake it.
Old 05-04-14, 10:16 PM

TheatreKid is a jewel in the roughTheatreKid is a jewel in the roughTheatreKid is a jewel in the rough

I also remember both but dwell on the bad stuff when I'm feeling bad.

Transgender - male pronouns please.
Old 05-04-14, 11:37 PM
Jr Member

LmpySpcPrincess is on a distinguished road

I'd say close to equally good and bad, unfortunately the bad stuff tends to suck me in. I happen to be in a very good place now despite some past darkness and upsets, so I try my best to redirect my thoughts when I start to dwell.
The Following User Says Thank You to LmpySpcPrincess For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (05-05-14)
Old 05-05-14, 12:13 AM

wyleops is a name known to allwyleops is a name known to allwyleops is a name known to allwyleops is a name known to allwyleops is a name known to allwyleops is a name known to allwyleops is a name known to all

All of the bad things in my life are eventually converted to good once I see how they've made me who I am. As I get older, there is less and less bad things to think about.
The Following User Says Thank You to wyleops For This Useful Post:
LmpySpcPrincess (05-05-14)
Old 05-05-14, 02:11 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,271 Times in 8,601 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

I try to exist in the exact moment as much as I can, and usually memories only detract from that endeavour.

But if i have to remember anything I remember the good ones. They give me energy i can use right now. My brain is a machine which can be manipulated in such a way.

Remembering bad memories is futile. It has no useful function in my life.

I did tons of debriefing and what-iffing in the past. But at some point I started to realise its an exercise in futility.
Greyhound1 (05-05-14), Unmanagable (05-05-14)
Old 05-05-14, 03:38 AM

Thanked 27,110 Times in 13,166 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Both equally, but it depends on my mood.
Old 05-05-14, 04:20 AM

Thanked 6,037 Times in 2,500 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

The article points out that those with problems recovering positive memories often have serious depression.

I'd second that, and say that living with undiagnosed ADHD is likely to have a depressive effect over time.... plus there may well be more bad memories to remember!
Old 05-05-14, 04:29 AM

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,352 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a pessimist by nature. I can't say I don't remember the good stuff, because I do, but the bad stuff had more of an impact; negative memories create negative feelings for me in the present, while positive ones either don't create anything or they create nostalgia. Happiness and excitement are things I feel related to the present or the future.
Old 05-05-14, 05:15 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,633 Times in 15,114 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

It makes sense that bad things take up more memory space in our heads. Think about it, if you are trading birth stories with other women, most will talk about the difficulties and pain associated with childbirth much more than the joy and magic of bringing a child into the world.

I carried a watermelon?