ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat > ADD Tech Corner
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD Tech Corner Discuss issues with software, hardware, viruses, security and other technology issues here.

Old 01-23-17, 09:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,478 Times in 3,092 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What's the verdict on Windows 10?

How do you put up with the 3 hour updates? (That completely ignores your update settings) That's all I ever get with Windows 10. Never had a problem like that with Windows 7 and I download a lot of ****.
Old 01-23-17, 10:01 PM

Thanked 21,513 Times in 11,541 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
How do you put up with the 3 hour updates? (That completely ignores your update settings) That's all I ever get with Windows 10. Never had a problem like that with Windows 7 and I download a lot of ****.
Its a great big hairy mess and it does whatever it wants to whenever it wants to.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 01-24-17, 10:41 AM

Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,061 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
You're still getting 3 hour updates? I don't seem to be getting updates that interrupt me that frequently or long anymore. I thought MS was trying to cut down due to the number of complaints in the beginning (when I do remember long updates). Feels to me like most updating on my laptop happens in the background or when I turn off my laptop. They can take as long as they want when I turn the laptop off as I've already set my laptop aside anyway so maybe I just don't notice how long it takes. The updates at startup seem to happen very quickly for me.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-17, 10:59 AM

Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Every Single Day they change the opening photo to somewhere in some ungodly place I despise and ask, "Do you like this?"

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 01-24-17, 11:01 AM

They quit asking for feedback when I typed up unearthly diatribes of filthy invective for them and read every other filthily typed up invectives from everyone else underneath me.
I suppose it may have worn them down. There will be more, I'm sure.

Old 01-24-17, 01:57 PM

Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,061 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Hmm, I don't get any of the issues you have Little Missy. I'm guessing the difference is your settings. I actually went to settings and went through every single option they had (which was a ton) and set everything the way I wanted it. I did that with Win 7 too so maybe that's why I don't feel a difference. Perhaps the autosettings with Win 7 are better. Autosettings seem to be something apple does way better than MS.

If you don't want to go through all the setting options, you might try settings/system/notifications and then just adjust notifications to be what you want. Also, check out settings/personalization and the options within that area. Maybe if you set a certain picture for your background and lock screen and turn off any "tips" it should get rid of your photo issue. Not sure if that will solve your problems but that's a couple of the things I did and I don't have a problem. If that doesn't help you, maybe someone else knows what's going on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (01-24-17)
Old 02-07-17, 10:04 AM
Suspended Account

Wuvmy3kitties will become famous soon enough

I don't mind Windows 10, but there are a few things I dislike. Like how they substituted the games with "trial" versions, making you sign up for a monthly subscription to some site or other. I uninstalled them and found a package of the old Windows 7 games, then installed those.

Same with Word and Excel. Instead of giving you the full versions you get a "trial" instead. Those got uninstalled and replaced with OpenOffice right off the bat.
I love freeware and open source programs, and try to support them as often as I can.

I'm still wondering if there is a way to see the documents/files you last accessed in a certain program in Windows 10, just like there was in Win 7. I miss that.
Old 02-07-17, 11:37 AM

Thanked 8,348 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

which came last Vista or 7 ? ......I liked them both ......I hated 8 with a passion, and 10 drives me nuts, but not as much as 8 .......

even so, I think, but I could easily be wrong, that your main whatever you call it can make a difference ....my friend Janet ( who I stay with in the winter) and I both hve 10 now, but she runs firefox ( foxfire ?) and I run chrome.....I think that's what I mean .....my computer knowledge has been won by just using a computer ......I'm old and didn't grow up with them .....I didn't hit the internet until about 10 years ago .....

...anyway, I can't figure out anything on her computer, she runs into problems and I can't help her cause I know how to do some stuff on mine but they don't translate over to hers.....we both use PCs.....

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
The Following User Says Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
Wuvmy3kitties (02-08-17)
Old 02-08-17, 03:22 PM
Suspended Account

Wuvmy3kitties will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by salleh View Post
which came last Vista or 7 ? ......I liked them both ......I hated 8 with a passion, and 10 drives me nuts, but not as much as 8 .......
Vista came out, followed by 7, followed by 8, and now 10.

My mom had Vista and it was a pain in the (ahem). I had 7 and I really liked it, though I missed some features of XP. Never had 8, although I've heard nothing good about it.
Still not crazy about 10.