ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat > ADD Tech Corner
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD Tech Corner Discuss issues with software, hardware, viruses, security and other technology issues here.

Old 11-14-15, 02:12 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 22,816 Times in 13,482 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
How do I secure internet connection?

So nobody else can use it without permission?
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

Old 11-14-15, 04:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,508 Times in 11,538 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do I secure internet connection?

Psycho will know. Or ask The Hound!

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (11-14-15)
Old 11-14-15, 05:01 PM

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,180 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Some type of access code. One way is to turn off access at modem, they will have given you a code for your signal. You keep it tell no one else.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (11-14-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-15, 10:09 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,968 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Strategy #1: Turn it off.

Strategy #2: A difficult password is required to get a connection. If you had a password but you told it to the wrong people, get instructions on how to change your password.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (11-15-15)
Old 11-15-15, 06:31 AM

midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

My internet provider told me if I switch the internet box off it will affect the phone line

Old 11-15-15, 06:42 AM
Registered

Thanked 17,745 Times in 8,895 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Star, come see me on Yahoo, we shall sort it out.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-15-15), midnightstar (11-15-15), namazu (11-15-15)
Old 11-15-15, 06:42 AM

Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
My internet provider told me if I switch the internet box off it will affect the phone line
Did you ask your internet provider?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (11-15-15), namazu (11-15-15)
Old 11-15-15, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Did you ask your internet provider?
Yes and they said switching the internet box off would upset the phone line.

Old 11-15-15, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Yes and they said switching the internet box off would upset the phone line.
I understand that but did you ask them how to secure your internet connection? Surely they will tell you how.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (11-15-15), namazu (11-15-15)
Old 11-15-15, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
Star, come see me on Yahoo, we shall sort it out.
OK just logging in now thanks FAbiulous

Old 11-15-15, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
I understand that but did you ask them how to secure your internet connection? Surely they will tell you how.
They said I got to plug the yellow wire thing into the laptop but the yellow wire doesn't seem to like the laptop

*sits in corner wearing dunces hat*

Old 11-15-15, 07:37 AM

Quote:
They said I got to plug the yellow wire thing into the laptop but the yellow wire doesn't seem to like the laptop

*sits in corner wearing dunces hat*
Then make a service call and they will come and do it for you.

midnightstar (11-15-15)
Old 11-15-15, 07:38 AM

Managed to coax laptop to accept the yellow wire (finally!)

But putting the wire in booted me off yahoo Abi

Old 11-15-15, 07:39 AM

whoops, didn't see above. Abi will get it done for you!

midnightstar (11-15-15)
Old 11-15-15, 07:48 AM

I've contacted the internet provider directly, their website says it's possible to turn off wireless so in order to access my connection anyone would need to have the wire connecting their computer to my internet box