ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 09-05-10, 06:09 AM
ADDvanced Member

BeachBum has a spectacular aura aboutBeachBum has a spectacular aura about
Re: About to apply for disability :( I can't believe its come to this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddinrochester View Post
I am fighting doing this. I am worried as I am not allowed to take the medications anymore how I am going to hold a job. I refuse to go out without a fight and will be trying to do this without assistance, but if I have to I will try for it.
If you really think that you need to keep fighting than just keep on fighting but the longer you wait, the harder it is to be granted SSDI. And once you do apply, unless you are one of the few lucky ones that get disability the first time you apply, you will be in for the fight of your life trying to get an approval. I was one of the lucky ones who was approved in the first try but I have talked with people that took up to seven years of trying before they were approved. Save your fighting energy for SSDI, you are going to need it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeachBum For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (09-05-10), Possum (09-05-10), Retromancer (09-05-10)
Old 09-05-10, 08:09 AM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,202 Times in 9,398 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

I've just about decided to do this. I mean, I have the ADHD, the depression (suicidal, even), the generalized anxiety disorder, what is probably PTSD. Oh, and being unemployed for 12 years my work history isn't a history at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (09-05-10)
Old 09-05-10, 10:23 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,771 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddinrochester View Post
I am fighting doing this. I am worried as I am not allowed to take the medications anymore how I am going to hold a job. I refuse to go out without a fight and will be trying to do this without assistance, but if I have to I will try for it.
Todd, go down and put your application in this week! I agree with BeachBum. Also, if you wait too long and that can impact the amount of money you are ultimately awarded.

I became sick from chronic carbon monoxide poisoning thanks to a faulty home furnace - I almost died. Ane even after a new furnace was put in my symptoms did not resolve. It was like I slim from semi-functional ADD to ADD poster child with all the brain dysfunction that implies.

I was very stubborn and kept trying to work, thinking that sooner or later I'd get better. I went from having the rank of full professor at a state college to pushing a mop after hours at car sales outfit. I was eventually fired from that job, too because I was too slow.

I ran through my savings, sold many beloved items and was left with nothing to my name. Only then did I apply for SSDI.

Don't go through what I did. I imagine you not being able to take meds is equivalent to me getting worse thanks to the CO.

If you start the application process, only to discover at some point that you are able to work a reasonable job, you can withdraw your app at any time.

But better safe than sorry. And get an NT you trust to go over the completed application - mine was held up because of some silly errors I made. Also, be sure that you write down your appointments with social security and post them somewhere highly visible, so you don't forget them.

I had to wait an extra 2 years on my SSDI because I forgot my appointment with their doctor.

Social security lives in the dark ages as far as alcoholism and addiction goes. Don't give them the names of any of your doctors who may have written in your records that you are an addict. Best idea would be to get a new doctor and tell him that stims just don't work for you. That's not a lie either.

Best of luck to you!

BTW, you can now apply for SSDI on line - makes life a little easier.
The Following User Says Thank You to Possum For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (09-05-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-10, 07:36 PM
I eat shades of red.

Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, so this week I'm starting the process of application and the like. I don't have extensive history for any of my conditions except anxiety, but I've heard they basically set you up to see doctors they choose (but you have to make the appointments).

I know I pretty much have to hire an attorney. I can't really handle the paperwork and appeals myself because my fun combination of depression, anxiety, and ADHD is putting me in a personal hell right now just contemplating the process. And I have to get over my anxiety about using a phone to make any kind of appointment.

Also, I don't have my own transportation and the people here who do have transportation make any request for transportation into an ordeal that also makes it difficult for me to ask.

I need to move forward on this, I'm not getting a job or doing anything else, and the lack of income is super stressful for me because I am unable to buy anything I need, let alone the occasional luxury (and I do not care about anyone who thinks being on benefits means you have to live a spartan lifestyle).

So need to get this started.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (09-26-10), Abi (09-27-10), APSJ (09-26-10)
Old 09-26-10, 07:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,939 Times in 5,874 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Carbon monoxide builds up in the body and 1 it displaces your o2 its hard to ge tout of your blood system.your very lucky! I use to work in automotive and I was always sick and had headaches .I dont think any 1 is gonna criticize you for helping yourself fortune.5 years ago I was almost in this situation of SS.Actually it was much worse I came back from the DR with my church I was like High and then 3 weeks later I crashed.I came home from work very lonley,My 1 co worker I( had worked w day in an day out treated me like crap,I had come home from work w my head throbbing w another damn migraine and I was gonna throw in the towel an OD on my meds.I had had enough of life at that point,I had to go back to my GP I couldnt afford the high priced Pysche at the time.I fell asleep before I did anything rash and then I went to the local mental health center and got help and got my meds straightened out.I dont know what I was thinking at that time but I just know It was a very dark time and I guess I was desperate and very stupid for thinking I was gonna do something crazy like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Fortune (09-26-10)
Old 09-26-10, 08:00 PM

Thanked 13,643 Times in 5,041 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

I have to go and apply for a new SS card (name change). I am supposed to be receiving survivor's benefits- $225/month, whoopie- but need to talk to someone about applying myself.

I wrote hubby's application for benefits. We were never required to see any of their docs and he was approved immediately, but we had two things going for us- he was nearly 55 when we applied and he was terminal. They move quickly and don't ask questions when you walk in with a five inch stack of paper that comprises medical history (we accumulated that in three MONTHS) and can whip out a statement from the oncologist that states that all treatment would be palliative only.

What I know is that the closer you are to 55, the easier it is. If you can get a doc to state that you and employment aren't likely to ever be friends, it helps.

I didn't use the form that they sent. Not nearly enough room. I wrote a two page document that answered all of the questions. The person that did the interview with us got glassy eyed when she saw the list of docs that contributed to that stack of medical records... there were twenty of them.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
Abi (09-27-10), Fortune (09-26-10)
Old 09-26-10, 08:24 PM
I eat shades of red.

Tigger,

Sounds like they handled it pretty well. I'm glad they did not drag out your hubbie's application, because yeah, totally cruel and arbitrary. I've heard enough stories so far.

My anxiety is, basically, I do not have extensive medical records because I have not been able to see doctors very frequently and have not seen a psychiatrist in 15 years or a therapist in eight, and I think the only thing anyone wrote down in my records was anxiety. In short, it feels like my disability has hindered my ability to document that I have any disability.

Rebelyell,

I'm not really worried about people thinking less of me. I'm just having anxiety attacks because the thought of spending upward of two years appealing denials is like my bureaucratic nightmare.

Oh, and glad you made it through that time!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
Abi (09-27-10), namazu (11-18-11)
Old 09-26-10, 08:40 PM

Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,053 Posts
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune View Post

My anxiety is, basically, I do not have extensive medical records because I have not been able to see doctors very frequently and have not seen a psychiatrist in 15 years or a therapist in eight, and I think the only thing anyone wrote down in my records was anxiety. In short, it feels like my disability has hindered my ability to document that I have any disability.
No doubt it has hindered documentation. No doubt there's never a better time to start than now? In the end, the squeaky gear will get oiled, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ For This Useful Post:
Fortune (09-26-10)
Old 09-26-10, 08:48 PM
I eat shades of red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleisch View Post
No doubt it has hindered documentation. No doubt there's never a better time to start than now? In the end, the squeaky gear will get oiled, right?
Well, I am going to do it now, although I really don't have a good idea of what will happen when I get things started. I don't really have reliable access to doctors at all for anything currently.

The anxiety and my general inability to cope with paperwork are real barriers here, and I at least know to work with that, but it's more:

What can I expect when I get this started?
Old 09-27-10, 01:44 AM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

Have you applied for WA State GAU -- or Lifeline as they are now calling it? It is there to allegedly support you while you are applying for Social Security. $339 a month is a sick joke but you do become also eligible for Medicaid which will pay for doctors visits etc. You can apply on-line.

https://fortress.wa.gov/dshs/f2esaap...osa/intro.aspx

Quote:
Well, I am going to do it now, although I really don't have a good idea of what will happen when I get things started. I don't really have reliable access to doctors at all for anything currently.

The anxiety and my general inability to cope with paperwork are real barriers here, and I at least know to work with that, but it's more:

What can I expect when I get this started?
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
Abi (09-27-10), ADHDTigger (09-27-10), namazu (11-18-11)
Old 09-27-10, 02:05 AM
I eat shades of red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retromancer View Post
Have you applied for WA State GAU -- or Lifeline as they are now calling it? It is there to allegedly support you while you are applying for Social Security. $339 a month is a sick joke but you do become also eligible for Medicaid which will pay for doctors visits etc. You can apply on-line.

https://fortress.wa.gov/dshs/f2esaap...osa/intro.aspx
Thank you for the heads up, I'll look into that.
Old 09-27-10, 02:56 PM

qinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to all

http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/Se...CC_byAddr.aspx
Federally-funded health centers care for you, even if you have no health insurance. You pay what you can afford, based on your income.
Yep there's a few nearby to me.. Gonna have to check this out sometime. Don
Old 09-27-10, 04:25 PM
I eat shades of red.

That lists the clinic I go to and they do not always have a sliding scale relative to your ability to pay, hence them basically wiping me out for anything for more than half a year for a dental procedure.

But they are really inexpensive, yeah.

(not a complaint)

(okay, maybe a complaint about basically getting locked out of medical care because I couldn't afford the procedure)

(just a bit)
The Following User Says Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
qinkin (09-27-10)
Old 11-17-10, 11:48 PM
I eat shades of red.

So I have begun the process at DSHS to apply for state benefits, which means I will get a two-hour assessment at the end of the month - one hour to take the Personality Assessment Inventory, and one hour to talk to a doctor about the many ways my brain is dysfunctional, and after that I'll get on state medical assistance which means, finally, treatment and counseling.

This is a good thing, although I have zero faith in being employable as the social worker tells me the goal is. Treatment may help, but if they deem me "no longer unemployable" and I get a job, I won't get medical, plus pre-existing conditions garbage, which means I'll be right back where I started.

Still aiming for SSI, though.
Old 11-18-10, 12:13 AM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

WA State GAU (X)/Lifeline exists primarily to keep you alive until you become eligible for SSI/SSDI. Saying that the goal is for you to become employable is for public consumption -- not that I am discouraging you from enrolling with the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation.

Quote:
This is a good thing, although I have zero faith in being employable as the social worker tells me the goal is. Treatment may help, but if they deem me "no longer unemployable" and I get a job, I won't get medical, plus pre-existing conditions garbage, which means I'll be right back where I started.

Still aiming for SSI, though.
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-18-11)