ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-04-11, 05:40 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,792 Times in 8,903 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation
Re: About to apply for disability :( I can't believe its come to this..

I'm curious how married couples handle attempts at disability assistance. For example, the 44 yr old wife has been recently diagnosed with adhd, severe depression, and mood disorder. She's been employed at the same place for 12 years, but these issues have previously (approx. 5yrs. ago - that was diagnosed as severe depression only and resulted in a 2 month period of short-term disability), and are once again, becoming critical at the workplace and could easily result in termination. The husband is successfully employed and makes a decent wage. Would any amount of assistance likely be approved for her if she ends up jobless or would she not qualify due to her husband's employment?
Old 06-04-11, 07:41 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,202 Times in 9,398 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

If she qualifies for disability, she could qualify for SSDI, which she can do whether married or not and there are apparently no limitations on owned property as there is with SSI.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (05-30-13), namazu (11-18-11), Retromancer (06-05-11), Unmanagable (06-04-11)
Old 06-05-11, 02:18 AM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

That's the good news. The bad news is that since she is married she is pretty much screwed as far as state benefits go -- which many rely on while they are waiting for their Soc. Sec. Disability claim to be resolved. Hopefully the two of them can live on the husband's income and use his health insurance policy. [Cross fingers that husband stays employed...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune View Post
If she qualifies for disability, she could qualify for SSDI, which she can do whether married or not and there are apparently no limitations on owned property as there is with SSI.
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-18-11), Unmanagable (06-05-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-11, 04:11 PM

jeffwrent is on a distinguished road

Don't feel bad or ashamed about needing to apply for disability. You paid into the system when you were working. Many people of all ages develop medical conditions that make it difficult to work. I hope you are successful and best of luck to you.
Old 08-23-11, 03:22 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,316 Times in 642 Posts
Hyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant future

Yeah Disability can be hard to get. Some people with ADHD have it so severe that they just can't work. But the system usually puts people through hell trying to get on. I heard it's even worse when your married.
Old 08-23-11, 05:12 PM
Committee of One

Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

For SSI -- no work history -- being married can be a barrier. For SSDI -- work history -- being married shouldn't be a barrier, as it wouldn't be for Social Security after age 62.
Almost everyone that qualifies for SSI or SSDI that has the AD(H)D diagnosis has another disabling disorder ("comorbidity") such as clinical depression. That is the case for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperman87 View Post
Yeah Disability can be hard to get. Some people with ADHD have it so severe that they just can't work. But the system usually puts people through hell trying to get on. I heard it's even worse when your married.
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-24-11), namazu (11-18-11), Unmanagable (12-06-11)
Old 10-28-11, 05:10 AM
ADDvanced Member

Illiterati has a spectacular aura aboutIlliterati has a spectacular aura about

I applied for SSI and SSDI a few months ago and just sent back the ability to work forms.

I'm claiming major depression, add and migraines.

I employed a disability attorney from the outset, as I have memory issues and was afraid I'd bork something up unintentionally.

I was turned down for SSI because they say my car is worth too much (2500). Apparently, I can sell my car and that will make everything alright.

Idiots.
Dx'd Clinical Depression, ADD, Fibromyalgia & Migraine
Rx'd Nortriptyline & Ritalin
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Illiterati For This Useful Post:
Fortune (10-28-11), namazu (11-18-11), Unmanagable (12-06-11)
Old 10-28-11, 07:24 AM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,202 Times in 9,398 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

The fun of mandatory poverty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-18-11)
Old 11-01-11, 02:16 PM

Mikahl will become famous soon enough

Whoa! Just saw this pop up. I'm not disabled. I'm ADD but not disabled. Quite the opposite. I don't even like calling it impaired. My ADD gives me so many advantages. But I have disadvantages too...just like anybody else. My medication helps me with those disadvantages. But I'm not disabled and not angry for you for believing you are... but I don't think ADD qualifies. Sorry
Old 11-01-11, 02:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikahl View Post
Whoa! Just saw this pop up. I'm not disabled. I'm ADD but not disabled. Quite the opposite. I don't even like calling it impaired. My ADD gives me so many advantages. But I have disadvantages too...just like anybody else. My medication helps me with those disadvantages. But I'm not disabled and not angry for you for believing you are... but I don't think ADD qualifies. Sorry
And this, my friends, is exactly what I'm talking about.

ADHD qualifies as a disability whether you like it or not. This is a support forum. If someone wants to post about how they need to be on disability, it isn't up to you to tell them that they don't qualify because of your own personal beliefs.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (11-18-11), salleh (03-08-12), Unmanagable (12-06-11)
Old 11-01-11, 02:38 PM
Committee of One

@Mikahl: Precious snowflake I would suggest you actually read the entries before popping off with your alleged ADD advantages. The topic is for people applying for disability after having exhausted all other options. People that have learned just how far those ADD advantages take them in a cratered economy -- especially with those fabulous "comorbid" disorders (clinical depression etc.) that often accompany ADD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikahl View Post
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (11-18-11), pechemignonne (11-01-11), salleh (03-08-12), Unmanagable (12-06-11)
Old 11-15-11, 09:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

Anna3000 has a spectacular aura aboutAnna3000 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingshadow View Post
I have the papers - yes its a lot of forms I am going to slowly take my time and read them and fill them out - if it takes me a month to send them in - be it - I am going to make it clearly submitted - no mistakes. I would plan to be on it for only a year, my step mother was once on disability as well for a year - she is a nurse practitioner and she has had some depression in the past. She is a fully functional working person although the year of disability did help her out a lot.
You already have a plan for how you are going to handle this situatin... give yourself more credit!! As others have said, you paid paid for these benefits, you are entitled to them.. use them when you need to! Let us know how this process goes for you... it's good that you have supportive people in your life who have been through this too!
The Following User Says Thank You to Anna3000 For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (12-06-11)
Old 11-18-11, 07:14 AM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,112 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute

Mikahl I agree with both Retro and Pechemignonne, it's all well and good for you to pop on here and sprout off how YOU think ADD/ADHD isn't a disability or impairment but I hate to tell you some people DO in fact feel disabled or impaired by their ADD/ADHD and in most western countries (and others too no doubt) it is in fact considered to be a disability because it can and does interfere with ones overall functioning, for some people it's mild and others it's pretty severe.

Perhaps you're one of the "lucky" ones who don't have the old ADD/ADHD too badly?? If so then good for you but seriously don't start acting all high and mighty and carrying on with crap!

I have read somewhere that the OP has now got a job so congrats to Zach aka Movingshadow.

Selena
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Crazygirl79 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (11-18-11), bree (11-18-11), namazu (11-18-11), pechemignonne (11-18-11), salleh (03-08-12)
Old 11-18-11, 10:15 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,581 Times in 15,085 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Mikahl if your adhd is wonderful and full of lollipops and rainbows.than yippee but don't come onto a thread about disability and say it doesn't qualify.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (12-05-12), pechemignonne (11-19-11), salleh (03-08-12)
Old 11-18-11, 11:28 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Massari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of light

The job for you is the job where you know how to do something better than anyone else. Like, I synthesize perovskite nanocatalysts better than any chief pHD. One night they woke me up, brought me to the lab drunk to make the particles because no one else could and they needed to test something fast. If I stop working, the lab is dead...they can't make their catalysts and it would take them years to form another chemist on how to do it and chances are he'll do a sheettier job because the procedure is more than complicated.

If you just try to do something random like data entry on a computer, you'll keep getting fired because other people will do it faster and better than you since they don't have ADHD.