ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-03-12, 06:34 AM
Jr Member

taskavoidance is on a distinguished road
How long after taking Adderall XR does citric acid stop interfering with absorption?

Hello! I recently read that fruit juices, soda and other foods or beverages high in citric acid interfere with the absorption of Adderall, so I've been trying to avoid those things as I really don't want to reduce the effectiveness of my medication (especially if it means requiring a higher dose for the same effect I would have otherwise had on a lower one). My question isn't so much about the citric acid itself but the time frame it might interfere with the absorption of Adderall, especially in relation to the extended release form.

Also, my posts are always far too long, so I'm going to start adding headers to better organize my thoughts

Current Medication

Right now I'm taking 25 mg of Adderall XR in the morning, and then I have 10 mg of Dexedrine (in tablet form) sometime in the mid-afternoon to assist with a longer duration (or the time frame I get to pretend I'll be productive hehehe). Starting tomorrow I'll be on 30 mg of the Adderall XR and have the option of increasing to 15 mg for Dexedrine. I'm hoping the 30 mg helps with extending the duration enough that I'll still be able to stay on the 10 mg of Dexedrine though, rather than increasing it as well. Anyway, I just wanted to mention the increased dose in case that also factors in to how long the medication takes to absorb.

Confusing Paragraphs

Anyway, the main point is that I'm curious when I can start drinking juice, soda, etc. after taking 30 mg of Adderall, and then when I should stop drinking juice, soda, etc. before taking 10-15 mg of Dexedrine. It might not even be worth all of this, haha. Maybe I should just drink something else. Sometimes I prefer having those options though, I just don't want it to interfere with the effectiveness of the medication.

I've posted this specifically in the Adderall forum because the Adderall XR seems to complicate things the most for me. I have found some information online, not directly related to ADD/ADHD, but in terms of how long you should wait before taking something might interfere with absorption, and the general rule of thumb seems to be 2 hours. But does the 2 hour rule of thumb still apply when it's Adderall XR? My assumption is that the citric acid still interferes with the absorption since the extended release portion hasn't been properly absorbed by the time you've waited the standard 2 hours, but I'm not certain.

Also on an unrelated note, does anyone know if coffee interferes with the absorption of Adderall? I usually feel like the effects are slightly increased since coffee is a mild stimulant, but I've generally felt worse when I've opted for a soda while being on Adderall. I might be projecting some kind of nocebo effect or maybe my recollection has been distorted by reading this information a few days ago, but I do sincerely feel like I remember noticing in the past that drinking soda wasn't helping at all, and that I actually felt worse, which is why I stopped having it during the day. I'm even more convinced of this because I didn't notice that effect with fruit juice (which also has citric acid) and had it on occasion while I was studying. There's just something about soda and Adderall that I remember as making me feel lousy. Is that normal? Again, totally not sure if any of this has merit haha.

The Only Part That Actually Matters

This is just a summary of the questions I'm asking:

1) If I take 30 mg of Adderall XR in the morning, how long after should I wait before I drink fruit juice or soda? Other medications with similar absorption issues seem to recommend 2 hours but I'm not certain if it's the same for ADD/ADHD medication.

2)Does drinking fruit juices or soda interfere with delayed release of the Adderall XR? I assume the beads that won't be absorbed until later are still in your stomach, so wouldn't the fruit juice or soda still interfere with the absorption even if you waited the recommended 2 hours? Especially since that's starting to approach the time frame in which the delayed portion should be absorbed.

3) If I had fruit juice or soda earlier, how long should I wait before taking my medication? I mentioned this as relating to Dexedrine but I assume it also applies to Adderall XR and other ADD/ADHD medications.

4) If I take Adderall XR in combination with other medication, and I'm also this worried about absorption, should I just not even bother with having these items during the day? I suspect this might be the case since there seems to be an ongoing overlap in when the previous medication is absorbed and when the next one should be taken. I'm not even sure there is a good time to have it, at least based on the 2 hour rule.

5) Unrelated but does caffeine also decrease absorption of Adderall XR in a manner similar to citric acid? To me it seems like coffee has the opposite effect but maybe I'm not assessing it properly. For example, maybe there's initial effects from the coffee but the overall absorption of the XR is worse.

I'd love to have input on any of the previous questions Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to taskavoidance For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (10-06-13)
Old 12-06-12, 06:36 AM
Contributor

dbellca82 has a spectacular aura aboutdbellca82 has a spectacular aura about
Re: How long after taking Adderall XR does citric acid stop interfering with absorpti

First of all even if you take higher doses of your medication it's really not going to matter if you have an acidic stomach, you need to cut out things with citric acid period as it causes less to be absorbed into the body or blood and causes more of it to be cleared either through urine or renal unchanged, for example if you take a 20mg IR, it will cause lets say half so 10mg to be cleared via renal or through your urine. Amphetamines are very senstive to the PH level in your stomach, antacids such as Tums or Rolaids have calcium carbonate which work to nuteralize the acid level in stomach as needed. Products like Prilosec & Zantac are proton pump inhibitors so they actually work to prevent the acid from being formed in the first place.

Honestly, I've taken Adderall every which way possible with every combination. Soda an Fruit Juice regardless of the time difference either before or after taking Adderall is gonna cause it to be less effective period, best thing is to cut it out completely.

Dexedrine is simply just Dextroamphetamine. Dextroamphetamine is an isomer of amphetamine itself. Basically think of it this way. You have amphetamine which is the actual drug, well imagine it has a left side and right side that are exactly identical to each other but cause slightly different effects. Adderall is called mixed amphetamine salts because it contains roughly 75% dex amp which works on the mental and mood side, and 25% levo amp which works more on the actual CNS system itself producing the actual physical effects. If you are going to take caffeine with Adderall do like I do and pop no-doz or caffeine pills.

Basically Citric acid, fruit juices, soda's etc...won't simply cause a delay in absorbtion, rather it will cause a portion of the medication to be kicked out of your body completely. The more neutral your stomach PH is, more base for example the more it will potenitate and cause more of the medication to be abosorbed. Acid = less, No acid = more. Lookup baking soda and adderall in google.

1 mg methylphenidate = 0.5 mg D-amphetamine = 0.5 - 0.75 mg Adderall

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry, alcohol is a solution.
Old 12-24-12, 06:48 AM

singerguy2k is on a distinguished road
Re: How long after taking Adderall XR does citric acid stop interfering with absorpti

I really dont think that answered his question. Bump? I am wondering the same thing. I take adderall xr 25MG everyday with a 5mg "extension dose" later in the day if I so choose. Same question. How long after I take my XR dose is it okay to drink citric acid and the like? Also, does citric acid affect the absorption of the second "release" into the small intestine, or does it only affect the absorption of the first dose in the stomach? Additionally, if citric acid DOES affect small intestine absorption, is there any time frame on when one might be able to drink citric acid before the second dose kicks in, or is it more of a "no citric acid or bust" type of situation?

Cheers,

Justin
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-12, 03:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

Drinking anything acidic won't affect the delayed release beads of adderall XR. Those beads release upon reaching a higher, more basic level (6-8 range) which exists in the small intestine.

If you are that concerned about it I would wait at least an hour after taking Adderall before chugging anything acidic. By that point most of the initial release beads would have been dissolved and the adderall levels would be rising in your blood. From my experience I haven't found much of a difference whether I take mine with water or diet pepsi. Amphetamine absorbs very poorly in the stomach as is, 40-50% is lost because of the stomach's low pH environment.