ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 04-16-14, 06:33 PM
Jr Member

Twiz is on a distinguished road
Question Many questions! (sorry for the length)

Hello!
I am hoping this is the right part of the board to post my experience and questions. If not, I expect it will be moved to the appropriate place.

I'm a long time member, who I believe has never posted!
I guess I will make up for that with the length of this post. Sorry!

I was diagnosed with ADHD/combined type about 7yrs ago after some very thorough diagnostic testing. I am currently 43yrs old. Prior to the diagnosis, I spent my entire life battling treatment resistent, severe depression/ocd/eating disorder/anxiety. Once I learned about the ADHD and had a few trial rounds of medication, most of my co-morbid conditions subsided. Due to insurance (or lack of), I have been unable to stay on concerta for any great length of time. But with a greater understanding of how ADHD affects me, I have generally become a much healthier and happier person.

Until....

A few months ago I was in a car accident (hit head on). I sustained injuries that will, at the very least, take a long time to heal from. The first few weeks following the accident I was working a full time + 2 part time jobs, in excruciating pain. In addition, I was dealing with everything that goes along with an accident. I can't even begin to explain how overwhelmed I was feeling. BUT, I was functioning...barely.

Two weeks after the accident, I was unexpectedly let go from my full time job. I was told it was due to finances. They tried all they could to figure out a way to keep me on. Although I have yet to see a reference letter, I am told they will give me rave reviews.

I survived on adrenalin or something for about another week. Then I crashed. The pain was not getting better. In fact it was getting worse. The depression set it, lack of appetite, energy, increased anxiety, etc. Then I noticed...a great exacerbation of my ADHD symptoms. On the days when my body can coordinate a relatively good mood/energy level + lower pain, I find I cannot concentrate on ANYTHING. I literally cannot get anything done. Forgetting things. Unable to read, hold conversations, follow directions, ruminating, restless (in mind and body)...the list goes on.

So my FIRST question(s)...
Can a traumatic event cause an exacerbation in ADHD symptoms? How is this? A chemical in the brain? Overload of emotions and information going through you? I greatly suspect the lack of structure in my life at the moment, with no full time job is contributing. Do others find structure (even if you hate it) to be incredibly helpful in managing some symptoms?

Moving on...
I have managed to get a months worth of concerta 36mg (yes, from a dr!). I'm not quite sure how I will get another months worth after this. Hopefully I will find a way. I maintained a great deal of hope that it would help, but tried not to have many expectations when I took my first dose this a.m. I do believe there may be a light at the end of the tunnel!!!! Or, maybe it's a placebo effect. i would take that, too! I can't say I was "productive" in getting necessary things done. But, I did notice great calmness in my mind. I spent a good majority of my day resting and reading. Yes, READING!!!! I have not been able to read since before the accident. I didn't have to get up every 20 minutes to do a meaningless task (or smoke a cigarette). I wish I could have slept, because I have had terrible sleep the last few days. I think had I tried, I would have.

My mood feels slightly lifted. I have not been ruminating on the accident, pain, or job situation. It's like the my mind has a million open doors that constantly let in unwanted thoughts/stimulation. Today only a few of them were left open. It's much less exhausting.

Second set of questions:
I don't recall Concerta necessarily lifting my mood in the past. Can it have an anti-depressant effect...and one which is so immediate? Or maybe just having my brain not feel so overloaded is enough to increase one's mood?

In the past I think I was just nauseated from the get go when taking concerta. I could always tell when it was wearing off, because I would become ravenous. Today I had no disruption in my hunger, but eating did cause nausea for an hour or so. Normal?

Pain- my pain was considerably less today, and has yet to drastically increase as it usually does by this time. Even on days that I do relatively nothing physical (like today), I usually get an increase in pain. Could concerta have any relationship with pain receptors in the brain?

I'm curious to see how the next few days go. I'm hoping to get a good nights sleep and make an effort toward being productive with a few necessary things tomorrow.

Thanks for listening and answering any questions I have asked.

(on a side note...I wrote this entire post w/o getting up ONCE! Typically this would have taken me HOURS...because I could not get my thoughts together and needed to move, over and over and over again.)
Old 04-16-14, 11:02 PM
Contributor

USMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Many questions! (sorry for the length)

It's really not an answer to your first question, but some traumatic brain injuries are treated with stimulants.

Yes, stimulants can have an anti-depressant effect (immediate relief in many). Stimulants are prescribed for depressed patients, but generally only after all other treatments options failed (off label use).
Old 04-19-14, 10:52 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmccop View Post
It's really not an answer to your first question, but some traumatic brain injuries are treated with stimulants.

Yes, stimulants can have an anti-depressant effect (immediate relief in many). Stimulants are prescribed for depressed patients, but generally only after all other treatments options failed (off label use).
Thank you usmccop!
It makes sense that stimulants could have an anti-depressant effect. Just being able to calm down the bazillion thoughts that race through one's mind, and having an easier time accomplishing (even small) tasks is enough to lift one's spirits...even once the medication has worn off!

I'm not convinced the concerta had anything to do with decreasing my pain anymore. The pain level has been extremely high the last few days. I suspect the increase pain has to do with my desire to get up and do more.

I believe the concerta is giving me the boost I needed, as it has in the past. I suspect I may need a tad more, but time will tell. I don't even know if I will be able to get another month's worth ($$$$). I will just be grateful for the month I have, and do the best I can to use my time wisely and hopefully get some momentum going. I really, really need to get a new portfolio finished for my job search. It's been impossible to manage my attention + physical pain level enough to sit at a computer for extended periods of time. Hopefully if my attention is a tad better, I can use it to my advantage when the physical pain is a little less.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-14, 12:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

Karamo is a jewel in the roughKaramo is a jewel in the roughKaramo is a jewel in the rough

Hey, sorry to hear about your hardships... I can't even try to understand how hard it must be... I can't really answer your questions but I do have some of my own if you don't mind?

First off, why on EARTH would you have a full time job and two part time jobs? I don't know how it is where you're from, but if you have a full time job here, there are laws that grant you "minimum wage" depending on age. A full time job, at any age really, is more than enough to live well on, on your own, driving your own car, having all the "everyday luxuries". No matter your debt (if you have any), you will only be forced to pay a small amount every month based on your salary.

Secondly, why on EARTH AND BEYOND would you work after such an accident?!!? If your job is LEGAL, then you'd be granted emergency leave with full payment for a LONG time, til you're good to go back and your employer would have no say in it, and he/she would not be able to fire you during, or immediately after (and never based on the accident).

Only the US have such a medieval "you're on your own" medical care mentality in the developed world, as far as I know...

Sorry, I get so angry when I think of it, people shouldn't have to go through what you have and get derped up the rear afterwards...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAWTFoP7Jfk
Old 04-19-14, 12:32 PM
Jr Member

Hi Karamo-
To answer your questions...
My p/t jobs used to be pieced together to equal full time work. They are not enough to live off of with living expenses and debt anymore. They are very part time, I enjoy working them (for the most part), and since I have been with them for up to 20yrs a lot of the people there are like family. I've also found them to be quite helpful when I am between FT jobs. As a nanny, long term positions are usually only 2-4yrs.

We have unemployment compensation in the U.S. BUT, you have to actively be looking for work AND work any regularly scheduled jobs you might have. If I do not work my p/t jobs, then I am not qualified to receive my weekly benefits. Quite the conundrum, eh? I'll get through it. It's just going to be very, very difficult for a while.
Old 04-19-14, 01:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

Karamo is a jewel in the roughKaramo is a jewel in the roughKaramo is a jewel in the rough

I see, but, if you are unable to work? I mean, recovering from INJURY for example? People have worked with broken bones and water in their lungs and suffered from it shortly afterwards on a permanent basis, when all they should have done was to REST snd HEAL... Oh well, never mind.. I just think that there should be some form of empathy when people fall ill

I wish you all the best and I'm glad to hear about your part time jobs being a delight (for the most part ;D) with good people around you..

Really, I hope you come out stronger and better, you seem like that kind of person =) Hugs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAWTFoP7Jfk