ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-16, 04:00 PM
Contributor

mrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to all
Bad motor coordination and ADHD together. Common?

I'm a bit of a weird case and I was wondering if this anyone else has similar experiences. Before I was diagnosed with ADHD-PI I had horrific motor coordination, meaning I struggled at tasks that required fine motor coordination, and had a really bad tremor. It was one of the most noticeable things about me and while my ADHD-PI wasn't given the attention it needed (wasn't diagnosed till age 20), my motor coordination issues were always noticed. Meaning they were so bad in middle school instructors actually recommended I play tennis and I was one of the last three people in my entire grade out of like 50+ people to learn to tie their shoes.

Anyways when I was put on vyvanse my motor coordination really improved. Meaning I wasn't always doing that awkward thing where I step the same way as a person toward me so we almost always walk into each other, I had enough fine motor coordination to a lot more difficult tasks like using a microscope, chem lab, and sewing and dancing. Is having bad motor coordination (like very shaky hands and bad fine motor coordination) like I mentioned and ADHD together pretty common? Do you find that your meds help that and is there any relationship between bad motor coordination and ADHD?

The thing is a bunch of my bad motor coordination was probably due to inattention (the walking into people mostly), so it's even harder to account for some of this. Semi-related: I also used to have tics (mainly hand-related ones) before I was put on my meds for ADHD, and meds actually treated and got rid of my tics, that's one of the first things my psychiatrist noticed on meds. Maybe that relates too? Anyone else had this?
Old 05-16-16, 08:02 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all
Re: Bad motor coordination and ADHD together. Common?

I know what you mean about the dodging people who walk towards you. Sometimes I just give up and stop. On my good days it is not an issue at all. I was always chosen last in gym for teams , especially for anything that involved catching a ball...I still can't catch.

I shake a lot when my Ritalin wears off...
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Bill For This Useful Post:
mrh235 (05-16-16)
Old 05-16-16, 08:17 PM
Contributor

mrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bill View Post
I know what you mean about the dodging people who walk towards you. Sometimes I just give up and stop. On my good days it is not an issue at all. I was always chosen last in gym for teams , especially for anything that involved catching a ball...I still can't catch.

I shake a lot when my Ritalin wears off...

Yea, I really HATE that dodging people who walk towards me issue. I just stay still or just move one way and stick to it. I'm so glad my meds fixed that meaning it rarely happens. That stuff was so annoying to deal with on a daily basis.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-16, 11:55 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,217 Times in 994 Posts
KarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

The dodging people thing might be a handedness issue as well. We folks with ADD have a higher number of left-handed folks than normal. Most people dodge to their dominant side, which means if we're left handed, we will reflexively dodge in a way that will collide with 5/6 of the population.

But in general, I've heard that inattentive ADD folks tend to have poorer than average fine motor control, but while I've heard that separately from a number of docs, each time it's been anecdotal experience on their part, not a formal study on the subject.
The Following User Says Thank You to KarmanMonkey For This Useful Post:
mrh235 (05-17-16)
Old 05-17-16, 12:08 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,221 Times in 5,355 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is common. Kunga Dorji has a thread about it here.

I have more fine-motor issues (was diagnosed as having a learning disability involving sensori-motor integration, which basically means I have trouble with planning and executing movement based on what I see).

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following User Says Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
mrh235 (05-17-16)
Old 05-17-16, 02:04 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmanMonkey View Post
The dodging people thing might be a handedness issue as well. We folks with ADD have a higher number of left-handed folks than normal. Most people dodge to their dominant side, which means if we're left handed, we will reflexively dodge in a way that will collide with 5/6 of the population.

But in general, I've heard that inattentive ADD folks tend to have poorer than average fine motor control, but while I've heard that separately from a number of docs, each time it's been anecdotal experience on their part, not a formal study on the subject.
Haha, I am left handed and that makes sense. Being left-handed is basically the bane of my existence. >
Old 05-17-16, 02:05 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan View Post
Yes, it is common. Kunga Dorji has a thread about it here.

I have more fine-motor issues (was diagnosed as having a learning disability involving sensori-motor integration, which basically means I have trouble with planning and executing movement based on what I see).
This makes too much sense. Thanks so much for your post. This study is scary accurate with how well it fits what I'm going through.

Last edited by mrh235; 05-17-16 at 02:21 PM..
Old 05-17-16, 05:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

Drogheda2 has a spectacular aura aboutDrogheda2 has a spectacular aura about

at one point I had a nervous tick, at another point I had a sort of nervous stutter. I"m also a professional actor so that can be confusing to some.

I won't jump to any conclusions and say that everyone can be a dancer. however in oral communications a few people have come in with horrible stuttering problems to come out the other end with a much less pronounced one. the theater professor/oral com (that sounds odd, heh) said that this was almost always the case for those who worked to better themselves in some way.

it can be sort of a self confidence thing, thats the nervous stutter. a world of self doubt interrupts the train of thought, and sometimes the best way to get over a self confidence stutter/tick is to take an oral com class and face those fears. or a world with unclosed loops can be a distraction to the mind and take away coordination.

it's sort of like passive learning. if (and I won't say all, that would be silly) you take karate class you will get better at coordination.

that being said I know that isn't everyone, but I also know how self diagnosis can lead to a perceptual co-morbid of the self, meaning you will start acting in the manner in which you have molded your perceptions. so I guess what I'm saying is, don't rule out everything tell you know, and don't rule out a failure because you failed to improve, perhaps there is another approach (therapy to close some of those open loops so then you can take a class in karate without all the distraction, for instance), or perhaps you haven't given it enough time, passive learning is kinda like active learning, you don't learn calculus in a day, you aren't a master in a day at karate.