ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-20-09, 06:26 PM

CDRacingZX6R is on a distinguished road
Just took Adderall for first time, some questions about heart rate.

Just got diagnosed with ADHD, took 20mg of adderall. Overall I feel fine, but my heart rate is up around 110 BPM, when normally resting was between 90-100. (Always had a higher heart rate, it runs in the family).

Is this a major deal. My doctor told me my heart rate would increase for the first few weeks, I just want to make sure I'm not going to die.
Old 03-20-09, 06:42 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Crackerjack is a jewel in the roughCrackerjack is a jewel in the roughCrackerjack is a jewel in the rough
Re: Just took Adderall for first time, some questions about heart rate.

Are you feeling anything else?

Besides the yes or no to the above, I'd suggest calling your doc and letting him know just to be safe.
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

-- The Doctor, "Dr. Who: The Face of Evil (1977)

Old 03-20-09, 06:50 PM

CDRacingZX6R is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
Are you feeling anything else?

Besides the yes or no to the above, I'd suggest calling your doc and letting him know just to be safe.
Not really feeling anything negatively. Feel more alert, awake. Etc. Maybe slight Euphoria and less of an appetite. No chest pains, or anything like that. My heart doesn't feel like it's really pounding, at least no more than it did before. I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't looking for it.

My doc warned me it would elevate initially, but I was looking to see if thats happened to others, to ease the mind. Not big on medication taking really, so I'm trying to ease into it.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-09, 09:10 PM

amberamber is on a distinguished road

I had a higher heart rate my first few days too. It seemed to be working harder than usual. No palpitations or anything, I just had an awareness that it was moving faster than average. I had a whole slew of crazy side effects the first couple of days, but they all melted away with time.
CDRacingZX6R (03-21-09)
Old 03-20-09, 09:33 PM

luvlife is on a distinguished road

the first day i took adderall, my heart started racing and i was home alone. i was so scared until i laid down on the sofa and left the medicine on the coffee table so just in case i died, my boyfriend would have an idea of what killed me when he found my body. since i am still here, when my heart rate picks up, i know the adderall is kicking in. now it doesn't race as bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to luvlife For This Useful Post:
CDRacingZX6R (03-21-09)
Old 03-20-09, 09:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

KillZone can only hope to improve

My heart rate kinda increases the only side effect I get is euphoria and a big rise in sexual desire, but it causes you to go some what limp, but not always. Oh I forgot I sometimes do get heart palpatations My first day a few weeks ago it scared me to but your heart will get used to it but I suggest taking Fish Oil it's good for the heart.
The Following User Says Thank You to KillZone For This Useful Post:
CDRacingZX6R (03-21-09)
Old 03-20-09, 09:49 PM

the sex part i don't know about, boyfriend under too much stress from salary cut in half at work and trying to pay the bills with one fourth of the income that coming in and given a job that is more stressful.
Old 03-20-09, 10:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

Talking Re: Just took Adderall for first time, some questions about heart rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlife View Post
the sex part i don't know about, boyfriend under too much stress from salary cut in half at work and trying to pay the bills with one fourth of the income that coming in and given a job that is more stressful.
OMGosh! The whole sex thing for me is unbelievable. Once I see something or think about something that is sexual, I'm not able to get off the subject all to easily, but I was taking a test and ended up finishing it. Afterwords I was off to home and yeah you know.
Old 03-20-09, 10:15 PM

hopefully one of these days i know how it feels, right now i am trying to suppress the feelings until he is up to it.
Old 03-20-09, 10:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
hopefully one of these days i know how it feels, right now i am trying to suppress the feelings until he is up to it.
Wait? If he's under stress shouldn't he be wanting you? It only makes sense. But I also forgot everybody reacts differently. From a females perspective does adderall make you more sexual?
Old 03-20-09, 10:33 PM

he don't really express his feeling a lot, that's why the job is putting more stress on him. (i know because i worked at the same place) he is the type that when asked to do something and they put more work on him, he just will not say no. now he will get the job done but come home and complain about it. i, on the other hand would tell them no. that's why i quit the job, because i was tired of being used. and if you do complain, you are labeled as lazy. at work, everyone says that he is a good worker and will do anything that is asked of him. they called me lazy, so what, that way they would leave alone so i can try to concentrate and finish the first thing they told me to do. (low attention span) one thing also, he was in management and then they cut the position and placed him in a job on the floor with less pay and more stress. he takes meds for high blood pressure, acid reflux, and about 4 other conditions. so when he come home the last thing he want is me bugging him for sex.
Old 03-20-09, 10:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
he don't really express his feeling a lot, that's why the job is putting more stress on him. (i know because i worked at the same place) he is the type that when asked to do something and they put more work on him, he just will not say no. now he will get the job done but come home and complain about it. i, on the other hand would tell them no. that's why i quit the job, because i was tired of being used. and if you do complain, you are labeled as lazy. at work, everyone says that he is a good worker and will do anything that is asked of him. they called me lazy, so what, that way they would leave alone so i can try to concentrate and finish the first thing they told me to do. (low attention span) one thing also, he was in management and then they cut the position and placed him in a job on the floor with less pay and more stress. he takes meds for high blood pressure, acid reflux, and about 4 other conditions. so when he come home the last thing he want is me bugging him for sex.
Ooh! If his high blood pressure isn't so bad he could start taking Fish oil very good for lowering HBP. Just a little tip.