ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > ADD FORUMS LIVE CHAT
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-04, 04:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
A long, rambling introduction to the ADDForums Chatroom

Some of you have probably noticed that we've been pushing the chatroom recently and trying to get people involved. Some of you are probably getting sick and tired of it, and this article isn't for you. The rest of you are probably wondering what it is, or what goes on, etc...this article is for you.

The ADDForums Chat is open 24/7 to all registered members. It can be accessed by clicking "Chat" on the little navigation bar on the top. It's right to the left of your "New Posts" search, you can't miss it. The chat operates on a Java client which is actually pretty cool, despite the grumping I do about it. It is fully functional, and very easy to use.

Though the chat is open 24/7, it's not actually teeming with people this whole time. A lot of people come in and are disappointed when the chat isn't bustling with activity...this is unfortunate. There are peak hours, and there are normally at least 2 people in there during scheduled chats, but the only way we can get people in the chat is if people go in the chat! If you go in there and have nothing to do, and no one is in there, idle! Turn on your beepall (type /beepall to activate audio notification) and let it sit in a background window! Eventually, someone will come along and that's how chats get started.

I am normally in the chat all the time...because I have no life. You don't have to be like me, you can just come in, hang out for a little while, and go about your business. I'm actually doing my business while I'm in the chatroom...for isntance, I'm in the chatroom right now while I'm writing this. I'll be in the chatroom tonight when I am doing all my homework. It's all good.

If, sometime, you go in the chat and idle for 3 hours and nobody comes along, that's a shame...but that doesn't mean nobody will ever come along! Keep on trying, eventually someone will come. The Forums are international...there are people in almost every time zone in the world on the Forums, which means people will be around to be in the chat basically any time...so just keep on trying, eventually you'll see someone!

So what goes on in the chatroom? Well, sometimes, we are just in there goofing off...however, we realize that in the end this is a Support Forum. We are all here for one reason...we all have the same, or similar, problems. The topic is almost always somehow vaguely centered around ADD, or our hectic lives, or something on the forums. That's what it's there for! The chatroom is a place where you can share your troubles, speak your mind, and get support in real-time, with real-time interaction. I love to just sit in there and listen, and I love helping people and offering counsel and comfort, and many of the other regulars in the chat are the same way. We are all here for eachother...that is, after all, the point.

That doesn't mean, however, that we are always sitting in there complaining about our lives or worrying about things...a lot of fun comes from those chats, especially later in the night when everyone's medicine is wearing off. So if you are ever bored and looking for a place to go practically any night, stop on by.

Scheduled chat doesn't mean you have to be there only during those hours, either. The chat is, as I said before, open 24/7. You can hang out there any time. I would love to in the near future go to the chat after class and find people there, and I'm sure you'd all love the same thing!

So now that we know what the chat is like, let's get it active!

Keith Miller
Chat Committee
Old 10-13-04, 07:53 AM

clawless has disabled reputation
I would just like to say

"well done Keith"

you have been great, putting all this effort into getting the chat room going

The best inheritance a person can give to his children is a few minutes of his time each day -- O. A. Battista
Old 10-13-04, 10:41 AM

Ian has disabled reputation
Thanks KMiller.. you've presented it well.
ian
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-08, 09:54 AM

debbiejj is on a distinguished road
Re: A long, rambling introduction to the ADDForums Chatroom

I'm an newbie to this site, Already proven that a hunt and peck typer with add
Old 07-30-08, 10:54 AM

debbiejj is on a distinguished road
Question Re: A long, rambling introduction to the ADDForums Chatroom

I typed for nearly an hour, and I have to addmitt it was good a good message. This is the second time I have done this. I HAVE to laughed at being known as a TWIT on a ADD forum!
Can some one tell me the key to hit when I finish a reply to a thread?

A thread, another concept I can naot get.
Can some one tell me in ADDER language?

debbiejj
Old 07-30-08, 11:09 AM
Contributor

lostranslation is a jewel in the roughlostranslation is a jewel in the roughlostranslation is a jewel in the rough
Re: A long, rambling introduction to the ADDForums Chatroom

Hi debbiejj!

A thread is more or less a conversation. In most forums, people seem to like to stay on topic. Here? Um, not always. But we try. (sometimes)

When I reply to a post, I usually use the "quick reply" option, because, heh, Lets just say that my short term memory isn't so good, (so I need to be able to scroll back up to what I am replying to) and because I just like things to be quick.

If I need to type a long post, sometimes I type it out on a word processing program first, then cut and paste to here. That way I don't lose everything when I hit the wrong button.

Dx: Alcoholism, ADHD, PTSD, BP II, and PMDD.

Meds: Ritalin, Lamictal and Zyprexa PRN. Med list may change without notice, because I don't notice stuff.