ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & Fibromyalgia
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-09, 01:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

leana is on a distinguished road
Whats best meds for fibro?

I struggle with fibro,along with a few other problems daily.i was wondering what works best for other people.

1.i take pain meds,for the pain{have back problems as well}
2.i take vyvanse in the am,and adderall at 3pm as booster.i take these for add,but stimulants are supposed to help with the fatigue as well.
3. Miralax for the constipation
4.valium,if needed for spasms.
5.ativan- for sleeping problems.
Even with taking these meds,im always wondering if im taking the right meds.expecially the vyvanse and adderall.they dont really get me up,and get me going like you would think.does anyone know what works the best for fatigue? My insurance wont cover provigil,so i cant try that.and i feel tired so much all day,i wont take a valium if needed until after supper.with the cold weather coming,ive been getting more stiff,and its hard just to try to get dressed by noon,and get any errands done.i usually wont leave the house until 3pm,then i head strait to get a coffee first,to get me moving.is this how it always is with fibro people? Or is there a different med out there that would improve my life during the day?
Old 09-30-09, 06:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Whats best meds for fibro?

Lyrica is the only drug I know of off the top of my head approved for the treatment of fibromyalgia. I think I've heard of gabapentin being used off label for it as well.
Old 09-30-09, 10:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller View Post
Lyrica is the only drug I know of off the top of my head approved for the treatment of fibromyalgia. I think I've heard of gabapentin being used off label for it as well.
yes,but both of those cause weight gain,and more fatigue!
The Following User Says Thank You to leana For This Useful Post:
Sit-n-Spin (04-01-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-09, 10:08 PM

Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Have you taken them before and had these side effects? They may cause weight gain and may cause more fatigue. That doesn't mean they will.
Old 10-01-09, 11:01 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller View Post
Have you taken them before and had these side effects? They may cause weight gain and may cause more fatigue. That doesn't mean they will.
yes,actually i did try both of them.i was much more tired,and i did gain some weight,they seemed to make you retain water.anyway,after going that route,it seems it best to address each separate problem with the correct med.im just a little confused on whats for what sometimes.
Old 10-01-09, 11:23 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

*KJ* is a name known to all*KJ* is a name known to all*KJ* is a name known to all*KJ* is a name known to all*KJ* is a name known to all*KJ* is a name known to all*KJ* is a name known to all

A friend of mine sent this to me, I thought you may find it interesting:
http://honestmedicine.typepad.com/eb...Naltrexone.pdf
Old 10-07-09, 02:26 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

stress and anxiety cause conflict in the mind and will tax both you and your nervous system. Most of the these drugs treat the symptoms and not the cause but thats a different story. Honestly , IGF1 or Growth Hormone probably would treat this without fail.
Old 11-12-09, 09:50 PM

kivlanmaron is on a distinguished road

a lot of people in the forum I'm in take Lyrica...seems to work for some and not for others. I'm a huge proponent of natural remedies because I have seen them work for close friends with fibro. Believe me, I was always a total skeptic when it came to that kind of thing, until my friend Lisa finally found some relief after years of different meds. I try to tell everyone about this guy because I can't even tell you the difference it has made in her life. His name is Dr. Howard G. Groshell, Jr. and he lives in Florida but there is a great website with lots of resources and info on his work. I'm not sure where in the country you're located but if you have the means, go see him! or get in touch. there's also a great social forum on his site - fibrofreelife.com, and some stories about patients he has helped. hope this helps, if you have any questions please let me know.
Old 11-16-09, 11:27 PM
Forum Guru

INaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivlanmaron View Post
aI'm a huge proponent of natural remedies because I have seen them work for close friends with fibro.
what kind of remedies?
Old 11-29-09, 09:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Louder Than Love is a jewel in the roughLouder Than Love is a jewel in the roughLouder Than Love is a jewel in the rough

I don't know of any remedies,per se.... My mother is a sufferer of FMS, and she's pretty well controlled with 100 mcg fentanyl, and 60- 80 mg Oxycodone daily.

Im trying to get her to try accupuncture....
its oh so blissful..
But, shes happy.
Old 12-08-09, 05:23 PM
Contributor

ToadysFroggy will become famous soon enough

I have had diagnosed Fibro since 1997 but have probably had it since a head on collision in 1988... I have found a good cocktail for my management of Fibro... 300 mg of Trazadone and 30 mg of Cymbalta for sleep management as well as Depression.. 50 mg of Lyrica up to three times a day and I take 50 mg of Vyvanse for my ADD. I try not to take anything else for pain but if I do, it is generally just Advil because taking Lyrica three times a day, generally does the trick. Before being on Lyrica up to three times a day, I was in need of Vicodin, Dilaudid or anything strong like that. Sometimes I still do need those heavy duty medications but not as much as I once did.

Sometimes we have to be willing to gain a few pounds to rid ourselves of pain... funny, as I am writing this, there is a commercial for Lyrica.

Good luck!
Old 12-10-09, 12:20 PM

NurseNikki is on a distinguished road

Ok well I have ADD/ADHD, Fibro, Cronic Fatigue Syndrome, Insomnia, and of course anxiety and depression. I actually am a nurse too. I can tell you my personal experience.
I have been on everything for fibro and Lyrica is the only thing that works for me but I'm on 300mg at night. I've tried all the narcotics, and patches but i like to try to stay off those and they didn't really work anyways, just kinda got me high, which isn't good. I can't sleep cause the pain and stiffness. I also take flexiril or robaxin for the stiffness every night. I avoid the valium becuase its extremely sedating as well. flexiril and robaxin are muscle relaxers. I try to minimize my Lyrica during the day so take a super low dose if needed. I find if I get enough sleep the pain is much better during the day for me. I also find if I miss and forget to take my muscle relaxers I have more pain in the morning.
For the ADD/ADHD I take Adderall XR 20mg because I'm in school and XR is longer release. My boyfriend has to make sure I wake up and he watches me take it when he gets up at 5am or I'm not getting up before 10am. The adderall XR helps with my fatigue. I was on , Ritalin=> Adderall=> Adderall IR=> Adderall XR. Once on XR it really helped because I didn't need a 'booster'. My doctor told me if I need a booster then its just my meds aren't working for me.
I used to take provigil and it works wonders for my fatigue without clouding my brain but i don't have insurance and had to minimize my expenses, it didn't make the cut.
So all together I'm on, and my monthly cost
Lyrica 300mg at bedtime $260
Flexiril or Robaxin at bedtime $120
Adderall XR 20mg at 5am $$294
Lyrica 25mg as needed for pain during the day... thank fully still have left and haven't had to fill

I also take prenatal vitamins because its way more vitamins and I find I have a horrible time keeping a good diet. I also take JuicePlus $30 a month.

I can't say that what works for me would work for you. If my fibro gets worse my lyrica goes up. I have anxiety and depression, well because I'm sick and have health problems. I try to stay off those meds unless I get really down. I also find that although I hate it and am too tired I go to the gym, sometimes I just sit in the steam room or walk the tread mill is i'm feeling good. But I go every day no matter what, most of the time I don't do much if any. Some days I actually do but all the others, eh. It just helps if I go there then deal with the hurdle of doing something or steaming, or hot tub.

So i hope this give you some insight into somebody else who kinda has a similar boat. Provigil might be an out of pocket pill you pay for but if it works for you then it works. a ton of the pharmacuetical companies have programs to help you pay for their meds if they aren't covered.

hope this helps
Old 12-10-09, 12:25 PM
Forum ADDvocate

sarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of light

^^
its Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but the name it is also gone by or has better defintion(as it is not just fatigue, and is a heck of alot more than that,i should know...i have it) is
Myalgic Encephalopathy/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

I am who I am, and sweetie, your approval isn't needed, no matter how much you think it is!
Old 12-10-09, 12:54 PM

There are currently three medications approved for fibromyalgia: Lyrica, Cymbalta, and Savella. Does anyone have any experience with Savella? It's new in the US as of this year and I haven't heard much about it.
Old 12-10-09, 01:03 PM

NurseNikki is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarey View Post
^^
its Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but the name it is also gone by or has better defintion(as it is not just fatigue, and is a heck of alot more than that,i should know...i have it) is
Myalgic Encephalopathy/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Yes I forgot the h in chronic sorry... Not trying to tell her she has it or confuse her with anything else besides the fibro and ADD/ADHD. And things I have been trying to aide in my fatigue as well as my pain and ADD/ADHD.
Sorry I offended you but you seem a bit touchy with this. I am only trying to address things she has relation to and help her understand hat works for others who have similar problems. I didn't find the need to go into my hair color, sex of my cat or the fact i also have diabetes and wear acrylic nails.
I don't know your severity but everyone is different. Currently most of my problems are at a minimal stage after a severe attack lasting for quite a while.