ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 08-01-18, 09:42 AM

piglet0131 is on a distinguished road
Alternative medicines?

Good Morning?
My name is Tracey. I have ADHD. I have had it since I was 8. I was not medicated for it til I was 24. I have 2 children that are adhd. My oldest who is 18 has been medicated since 2012. He is currently on concerta. My youngest who is 15has been medicated since 2007. He is currently on Concerta, Ritalin. My youngest wants to try to go into the army. Has ask me if we can take him off his medication. That will be interesting to say the least. I am willing to look into other treatments, diets, vitamins.

Before you ask we have tried Focalin, and albify, and Adderall.

Has only had any luck in anything other then medicines?

Thanks in Advance
Old 08-01-18, 02:51 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to behold
Re: Alternative medicines?

Short answer is no.

The reason for the no ADHD meds in the military is because if he goes active duty in a hole in the wall place how can he get the prescription? Same thing about how can he get the vitamins or tea, or whatever else may be an alternative?

People can live off the drugs, it just makes paying attention and remembering instructions more difficult and could affect how high he can go up the chain of command. However, the military understands many types of personalities and if they have to give one instruction at a time they will.
Old 08-01-18, 02:53 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to behold

P.S. last time I checked you had to be ADHD drug free for 12 months, not 36, so you don't HAVE to unmedicate him unless he is within 12 months of graduating.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-18, 10:28 AM

piglet0131 is on a distinguished road

Yes to go into the military its 12 months, letter from the doctors that he has been off the meds. Since my son been on the meds since in was 8. I was thinking slowly taking if off of it so he could figure out how to act with out the meds. Currently he takes 54 mg concerta with 10 mg Ritalin in the AM. 4 hours later = lunch he takes 20 mg Ritalin. 4 hours later = 3 pm he takes another 10 mg of Ritalin

I know in the Army the deal with ADHD with Diet and extra extra PT.

What they have told me the main reason they don't let you go to boot camp medicate is that they don't any solider to have advantage or another.

So right now since he is going to be a Junior. I am looking at things on what I can do to help him.

However, more of the issue. I am divorce and he has more issues at his dad house then mine. If this makes sense at all even on meds his hyperactivity, impulsitivy is worse over there.
Old 08-06-18, 03:02 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet0131 View Post
Yes to go into the military its 12 months, letter from the doctors that he has been off the meds. Since my son been on the meds since in was 8. I was thinking slowly taking if off of it so he could figure out how to act with out the meds. Currently he takes 54 mg concerta with 10 mg Ritalin in the AM. 4 hours later = lunch he takes 20 mg Ritalin. 4 hours later = 3 pm he takes another 10 mg of Ritalin

I know in the Army the deal with ADHD with Diet and extra extra PT.

What they have told me the main reason they don't let you go to boot camp medicate is that they don't any solider to have advantage or another.

So right now since he is going to be a Junior. I am looking at things on what I can do to help him.

However, more of the issue. I am divorce and he has more issues at his dad house then mine. If this makes sense at all even on meds his hyperactivity, impulsitivy is worse over there.
Lack of structure can cause more of the ADHD to show, that's for sure. And holy crud that's a lot of meds!!!!! My son took one 54mg in the morning...that's it. Also, my sons dr doesn't even prescribe the short acting ritalin stuff, she says it's too addictive. My best suggestion is to find a different Dr and start over on his meds.
Old 08-06-18, 03:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,590 Times in 11,926 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
Lack of structure can cause more of the ADHD to show, that's for sure. And holy crud that's a lot of meds!!!!! My son took one 54mg in the morning...that's it. Also, my sons dr doesn't even prescribe the short acting ritalin stuff, she says it's too addictive. My best suggestion is to find a different Dr and start over on his meds.
I'm not familiar with Ritalin. My granddaughter was taking Concerta in middle
school but it didn't last the whole school day, never mind homework time.

I wanted the doctor to add a booster of Ritalin, but she kept increasing the
dose until my GD was taking 72 mg. Still worked. Still didn't last long enough.

So a dose of 54 mg Concerta with a 10 mg Ritalin booster at lunch and again
at 4 or 5 pm doesn't seem unreasonable.

Three boosters does seem like like a lot.

There's a LOT of structure in the military, and some adhd people do well in
that environment.

There is a minority of people who benefit from taking Omega 3 fish oil gels.
It's just a supplement like vitamins. Might be worth giving it a trial.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me