ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-14, 06:04 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,352 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What kind of music do you listen to?

Mostly metal- about 95% of the time (symphonic, folk, gothic, viking, black, heavy etc), some '80, '90 and modern pop/rock but I'm very selective, some ambiental/New Age, gothic, classic, folk. Generally, my tastes are selective and repetitive, almost obsessive. In fact I can listen to on band daily for a whole year and it can take me over a decade to get bored with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
phantasm (01-21-14)
Old 01-21-14, 07:00 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,743 Times in 881 Posts
Baal Moom has disabled reputation

I listen to bit and pieces from here and there; I have very little idea about genres. What I do return to from time to time is some Scottish folk songs -- mostly the ones that are about death and misery. There's this hilarious line in one song -- it's all about how the singer would cheesily walk with his beloved in the mountains plucking flowers, how he would "build her a bower", etc. Until... "If my true love she were gone, I would surely find another." I died right there. I guess they were very used to their loved ones expiring on them... Such jolly people.

I also like listening to songs in languages unknown to me, as I like the musicality of language and the mystery of foreign speech. I like the guqin, a traditional chinese instrument. I listen to Russian rock (or is it metal? I've no idea) occasionally, which I reckon has some wonderful, poetic lyrics. Some old time Israeli songs, a couple of Soviet ones (I remember the Red Army Song by heart). I like what I've heard from Swedish duo Nordman. Cantonese songs occasionally. I suspect I listen to much less music then anyone I know, though. Just about the only bands I've listened to an entire album of (and liked it) are The Offspring and Volbeat. I don't understand The Beatles and Pink Floyd, mostly. Too complex for me?

And of course, "I'm a barbie girl in a barbie world! It's fantastic, life of plastic! You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere! Imagination; life is your creation! Come on, Barbie, Let's go party..." I'm not pulling your leg -- I remember that by heart. Unless there's a mistake there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baal Moom For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (01-21-14), phantasm (01-21-14)
Old 01-21-14, 07:13 AM

Thanked 11,307 Times in 5,520 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

70s and 80s rock

90s gangster rap

and hardcore style metal
Anastasia (01-23-14), eclectic beagle (01-21-14), phantasm (01-21-14), Rebelyell (01-21-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-14, 07:25 AM

Thanked 27,110 Times in 13,166 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Sarek! dead can dance, haven't listened to that in ages.
Mostly I listen to classical at the moment. ipod has piano sonatas and led zepplin and the cure. Let's just say "eclectic"...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Anastasia (01-21-14), phantasm (01-21-14)
Old 01-21-14, 07:28 AM

Thanked 10,946 Times in 5,878 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Someday Id like to go to the whacken metal Festival\m/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (01-21-14), phantasm (01-21-14)
Old 01-21-14, 10:22 AM

Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
Someday Id like to go to the whacken metal Festival\m/
Me too! Though I have been to smaller festivals and it was awesome. It's nothing like being front row at your favorite band, something which I could never pull off at a big gig like Wacken. Also, big festivals are expensive, whist small ones are dirt cheap if you have a tent and transportation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
phantasm (01-21-14)
Old 01-21-14, 11:41 AM

Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,126 Posts
phantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant future

I love hearing what people listen too. I have a pretty open mind to trying new things, and when someone tells me they LOVE a group, I will check them out because I wanna know what it's all about.

Ball - Your choices fascinate me since I never heard of 95% of your choices. Except the barbi song, boy, that's sad. Now I need to go you-tube all of them.

I don't mind if they don't sing English either. If the sound is good, that's all I takes sometimes. Mana comes to mind. They are sooooooo good!

There are no limits to what you can accomplish when you are suppose to be doing something else.
The Following User Says Thank You to phantasm For This Useful Post:
Baal Moom (01-21-14)
Old 01-21-14, 12:05 PM

@Baal,

I love the Red Army Choir! It's the most underestimated "band" of all times! Sadly, I can't even admit to liking it because I'd be considered a Commie.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
Baal Moom (01-21-14), phantasm (01-21-14)
Old 01-21-14, 12:10 PM

Thanked 10,946 Times in 5,878 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Kill a commie for mommie
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Baal Moom (01-21-14)
Old 01-21-14, 01:47 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,743 Times in 881 Posts
Baal Moom has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantasm View Post
I love hearing what people listen too. I have a pretty open mind to trying new things, and when someone tells me they LOVE a group, I will check them out because I wanna know what it's all about.

Ball - Your choices fascinate me since I never heard of 95% of your choices. Except the barbi song, boy, that's sad. Now I need to go you-tube all of them.

I don't mind if they don't sing English either. If the sound is good, that's all I takes sometimes. Mana comes to mind. They are sooooooo good!
To make it easier, here's links to some of my favourites. Hopefully I'm not overstepping my bounderies. (Dammit, I forgot youtube videos are embedded. Ugh... Well, I didn't mean to hijack the thread with a million and two videos, but it took me a lot of time to compile this measly list [I'm a terrible worker]. I hope you'll forgive me this time.)

The Red Army Choir: "The White Army, the Black Baron" (a call to arms. The cartoon explains it all, really -- and it's a piece of history, apparently, as it uses the pre-Soviet orthography. Bolshevik propaganda warning)

Chorny Kofe (Black Coffee): "Vladimir's Rus" (this song is about the integral part the church supposedly has played in Russia. Quite underground for Soviet times, obviously, what with state Atheism, though the Wiki says it was released during Glasnost. I think the song is great; churches aren't my thing, the clip is all about them.)

DDT (Yuri Shevchuk): "The Last Autumn" (about the last days of Alexander Pushkin. Shevchuk is amazing in general, I think.)

Aria: "Calm" (about cannibalism on a stranded ship)

Jackie Chan (yes, he sings too): "A Man of Determination" (Mandarin. I talked about Cantonese, but I like the Mandarin version more)

Nordman: "Du Behöver"

(warning, in case you want to look into Nordman: another great song by them, "Om Gud Var Jag, has got a horrid video. No joke there -- it's properly disgusting. Vile.)

"Omrim Yeshna Eretz" (They say there is a land), written by Shaul Tchernichovsky and performed by Yarden Bar-Cochva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
Kill a commie for mommie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baal Moom For This Useful Post:
phantasm (01-23-14), sulfurousIo_4 (01-30-14)
Old 01-21-14, 02:42 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

addthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to all

what ever I am in the mood for. sometimes Opera, Jazz, Techno/Industrial, 90's alternative,Grateful Dead.
Today I had the Pixies playing in my car. Not so much noise metal or 80's hair bands like quite riot.
Any music that is made for listening. Some music is made for money and not for listening.
Most contemporary pop music is made for money. However I think Lady GaGa is pretty cool.
Cheers

Last edited by addthree; 01-21-14 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: forgot to add
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to addthree For This Useful Post:
phantasm (01-21-14), psychopathetic (01-21-14)
Old 01-21-14, 07:50 PM

phantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal Moom View Post
To make it easier, here's links to some of my favourites. Hopefully I'm not overstepping my bounderies. (Dammit, I forgot youtube videos are embedded. Ugh... Well, I didn't mean to hijack the thread with a million and two videos, but it took me a lot of time to compile this measly list [I'm a terrible worker]. I hope you'll forgive me this time.)
That's seriously awesome that you took the time to post those. I checked out the first few already, I like Chorny Kofe a lot.

Although....I'm not into Cannibalism but if we go down in a fiery plane crash in the Andes mountains during the winter, you better sleep with one eye open if ya know what I'm sayin'. I am a force to be reckon with when I haven't eaten.

There are no limits to what you can accomplish when you are suppose to be doing something else.
Baal Moom (01-22-14)
Old 01-21-14, 07:51 PM

Thanked 4,240 Times in 2,409 Posts
eclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond repute

rock
metal
synth

Right now I'm listening to Kalmah.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eclectic beagle For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (01-24-14), phantasm (01-21-14)
Old 01-21-14, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addthree View Post
Any music that is made for listening. Some music is made for money and not for listening.
That's totally it! If I see a band playing, be it on tv or in person, and I am not familiar with them. All it takes is to see their passion come through and I am totally interested. Who can enjoy any performance if it's all for show, and no passion.

I went to a Beyoncé concert because my girlfriend got free front row seats and I couldn't wait to get out of there. Aside from the fact that Beyoncé is ridiculously hot, I couldn't get into that concert to save my life.

Some of the best performers I've seen are Metallica, Ozzy, and Prince. Can't take my eyes off em. (I'm talking about back in the day, before they got too commercially.

Old 01-21-14, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal Moom View Post

Nordman: "Du Behöver"

(warning, in case you want to look into Nordman: another great song by them, "Om Gud Var Jag, has got a horrid video. No joke there -- it's properly disgusting. Vile.)

Eating cockroaches is kind of up there with cannibalism. I better be on the verge of death if that's my only meal of choice. Cool song though!

Baal Moom (01-22-14)