ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-09, 11:00 AM

Ian_B will become famous soon enough
Tips and Tricks

I'm 31 and was recently diagnosed with ADHD-PI. Since the diagnosis, I have been trying to come up with little tricks to help deal with my weaknesses. My best idea so far is to hire a secretary, but unfortunately my budget rules out hiring someone, and my wife doesn't want the job.

The best one I've found is setting a bowl in my entranceway for my wallet and keys. Obviously, I often forget to use it, but I'm remembering more often, so I spend less time retracing my steps to figure out where I set them down.

Another is creating an inbox for unpaid bills. Right now the box is on my desk, but I think I'll move it next to the key/wallet bowl.

I know these aren't terribly creative or insightful, but this is the type of organizational stuff that just doesn't come naturally to me (and I suspect to many of you). I'd appreciate any tricks that help you minimize the day-to-day frustrations of life with add.
Old 11-20-09, 11:40 AM
Contributor

FreewayFlyer04 is just really niceFreewayFlyer04 is just really niceFreewayFlyer04 is just really niceFreewayFlyer04 is just really nice
Re: Tips and Tricks

I am new to this forum, but this could be a really good thread for those of us that are giving the online help a try.

I have an accordion file, with 31 numbered slots, right on the desk, next to my computer monitor. When I open the mail, I write the due date on the outside of the bill envelope, and put it in the file on the day it is due. Any bill that I can't or won"t pay online, I write the due date, and then below that, the mail by date, and put it in that slot.

I write the date on the envelope, so it is visible, while the envelope is standing on end, and then I also look down into the file, to make sure any envelopes have not tipped to the side.

This is working pretty well for me, I don't miss too many, becasue I am always checking the email. (And now here....)
Old 11-20-09, 12:38 PM

FastForward will become famous soon enough

whenever i go out i need to physically touch my keys and make sure i have them.... it's like "thinking i have my keys" is not enough... i always take them in my hand and look at them....

Same thing for my sports-bag... whenever i make it, i go through the list of things i need to take... shoes "check", towel "check", socks "check"...

I notice that touching things helps a lot !!

Another thing i've recently started doing is the "don't put this thought away but do it at once"-principle... whenever i think of something i'll try to do it "right away" and not say to myself "i'll do it later" because i just know i'll forget... that helps a little as well... (like "i have to take out the trash... but i'll do it later"... then i'll go "no, i'm doing it now"... or when i get a bill i'll be like "i'll put it on the table and pay it later" and then i think "no, i'll do it right away"... the more i put off, the more things don't get done !)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-09, 12:46 PM

sixxdixx is on a distinguished road

I prefer the getting yelled at method until I get sick of being yelled at, then I remember. It would be great if Financial institutions, car keys, and loved ones could all work together and cope with the absent mindedness and quirks that are attached to this diagnoses.
Old 11-20-09, 01:08 PM
Jr Member

ninjapirate is on a distinguished road

[quote=Wonderboy;808147]"thinking i have my keys" is not enough... i always take them in my hand and look at them....

Lol, I do that before shutting my car door. Now I don't feel so weird.
Old 11-20-09, 07:34 PM

Sissaphus will become famous soon enough

same color socks
a to-do bag near the door of anything you need to take with you - you can drop things in as you think of them
use phone alarm and alarms in general
sometimes i set one every hour if i'm procrastinating so i can at least be aware of time passing
when i need to pack for a long trip. i put my suitcase out about a week before, make a list of what i'll need and put it in the suitcase, in addition to that I put things in (which i forgot to list) as i think of it.

sorry, i don't know how to do bullet points for ease of reading
The Following User Says Thank You to Sissaphus For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (11-21-09)
Old 11-20-09, 07:40 PM

Ladon is on a distinguished road

Keys and wallet are a frequent problem for me. My phone is another. But does anyone else have trouble remembering to take their meds?

I can never remember to buy one of those pill organizers, so I just grab my daily done from the bottle (concerta 27). Except without it my short term memory is shot, so a few days every month I have to take 10mg Ritalin tablets to make sure I don't get psychosis from taking two concerta... Bit of paranoia obviously

But the keys... If I don't put them in my pocket when I get dressed, I'm screwed. For a few weeks I tried putting them on a shelf next to the door, and I'm sure my neighbours got used to hearing "SLAM..........NOO!!!!!!" every day. Just couldn't remember!
Old 11-20-09, 07:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,933 Times in 7,991 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

stickies - a small downloadable program to remind you to say "don't burn stuff on the stove" and you can set if for 10 minutes or 10 hours or longer or shorter, darned fine little program. Also good for timing yourself for doing jobs.
Prioritize- What's the most important things you want to change, pick a couple don't try and change everything at once.

Watches and clocks -- set ahead by an uneven number say 7 or 9 minutes to help you out that door on time. The odd numbers make it harder to calculate so you just use the stated time.

Just do it now - (someone already mentioned this) but those little put away jobs that you'll get to later, don't fall for that again, just do it now.

- a basket for your socks, when I do the laundry all socks go into the basket, then if I feel like it I'll go thru them at a later time and pair them and put them away. You always know where all the socks are.

- send messages to yourself on your phone

50 strategies for ADHD
http://www.addresources.org/article_...well_ratey.php
Old 11-20-09, 08:51 PM

Diane 1986 will become famous soon enough

I have a lot of these!

My apartment keys are physically attached to my wallet. Since I can't lock my apartment from the outside without my keys, I don't forget my wallet anymore! Just to be safe, the keys and wallet are hanging from a hook at eye level right next to my door. If next to the door isn't enough for you, I'd suggest getting one of the sticky hooks they have for college dorm rooms and hanging your keys actually on your door. If they are literally right next to the door handle and your hand bumps against them when you're leaving, you'll probably remember them.

I also have a table right next to my apartment door that has everything I need to take with me when I leave my apartment. Things like my sunglasses, my cell phone, my checkbook, and my snacks (for when I forget to eat because of my meds) all have places on the table. Every time I leave my apartment, I go to the table and get what I need. Every time I come back to my apartment, the FIRST thing I do is put everything back in its place on the table. This has seriously cut down on my traditional "oh my god, where the heck did I put that stupid thing, I swear I had it just yesterday, where is it, why can't I find it, I'm going to be so late!"

I also have a bill inbox, but I keep paid bills in it as well. After I pay a bill, I write "paid" on it in big letters and put it back in my bill inbox. I check the box regularly, and if I notice, for example, that it's been nearly a month since I last paid my internet bill, I know that I've probably managed to lose a bill. That way I can find the missing bill and pay it before I end up with late fees!

Another thing that really helps is a notecard system that I came across here: http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/5749.html (the Hipster PDA). I have a stack of notecards held together with a binder clip that I keep with me at all times. If I think of something I need to do, I write it down on a notecard. Usually I'll have notecard to-do lists labeled today, tomorrow, this week, next week, and eventually (for stuff like cleaning out my closet). I also use notecards for grocery lists, to keep track of things I need to ask my therapist, and to jot down ideas for Christmas or birthday gifts as soon as I think of them. One card that I just started is a list of "staples" that I always need to have. It includes things like milk, soap, and pet food. Before I go to the store, I check to make sure I have everything on that list. That way I don't come home from a grocery trip just to discover that I have to go right back because I forgot I was out of milk. The notecards are awesome as long as I keep up with them. Unfortunately, I sometimes neglect them and they end up just as jumbled as my head.

The other two things I'm bad about are remembering to take my meds and remembering to eat. I've set alarms in my phone, put sticky notes up in my apartment, and written reminders on my notecards, but I still manage to forget. So I just carry my medicine and a bag of almonds with me at all times. If my head starts to come unglued, I know I need to take my medicine, and if I start to get dizzy or irritable, I know I need to eat. I also have a journal to write down when and what I eat, when I take my meds, and how well I'm able to concentrate. That should theoretically help me keep on top of my eating habits and figure out what dosing schedule is ideal for me. I never remember the journal though, so thus far it's useless.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diane 1986 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (11-21-09)
Old 11-21-09, 07:05 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

AliKatski has a spectacular aura aboutAliKatski has a spectacular aura about

I have a white fridge in my kitchen, I'm a teacher, so I borrowed a whiteboard marker and now write everything on the fridge. One side: shopping list and to-do list, front: daily reminders. When I go shopping I take a photo of the list on my phone, and when I leave the house I have a picture of the to-do list. I can draw things on the freezer door and have another list of reminders on the bathroom mirror.

It annoyed my wife at first, but she got used to it

-Do Not Enter. Hyperfocus in operation-

In Pagan times, uninspired people made sacrifices at the altar, and today, thanks to marriage, many still do. - Danny McCrossan - Northern Irish Comedian.

I didn't mean to offend you, it was a slip of the mind
The Following User Says Thank You to AliKatski For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (11-21-09)
Old 11-21-09, 08:27 AM

Thanked 1,130 Times in 623 Posts
CircularingCats has a spectacular aura aboutCircularingCats has a spectacular aura about

Whatever method you choose to establish or follow, the main thing is to keep things in the same place alllll the time.

After you use it, put it away where it belongs.

The Following User Says Thank You to CircularingCats For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (11-21-09)
Old 11-21-09, 12:42 PM

Thanked 13,642 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned this one in another thread but will repeat it here. I got an over the door shoe bag that has 12 compartments. I shove things into the appropriate compartment and check it regularly or daily depending on what life is currently like.

A white board and cork board next to the door is an amazing help.

My keys are on a clip that gets clipped to my purse the minute I am no longer using the key. My Franklin planner is an extension of my arm. I have a netbook that fits in my tote that has anything that isn't in the Franklin and some cool brain games.

I'm with Cats. Whatever you do, do it consistently.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
sortawicked (11-24-09)
Old 11-24-09, 11:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

sortawicked has a spectacular aura aboutsortawicked has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
whenever i go out i need to physically touch my keys and make sure i have them.... it's like "thinking i have my keys" is not enough... i always take them in my hand and look at them....

I am the exact same way about my keys.the few times i havent , i've locked myself out of my car so I do this constantly.