ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-10, 06:02 PM

poltermagda will become famous soon enough
What kind of music appeals to you?

I didn't find any threads about this so I decided to make one and hopefully to a right place.

So what kind of music appeals to you?
How does music affect you?
Want to recommend something?

What kind of music appeals to me?

I like almost everything, what comes to different genres. Though genres like post-rock/metal, electronic, indie, industrial, alternative and jazz have appealed to me most during the last 3 years. Bands like Ulver, A Silver Mt. Zion, Explosions In The Sky, Coldplay, Muse, Jonathan Kreisberg, Cult of Luna and many many others.

But what I listen is much about what my mood is. Sometimes I feel listening heavy and sometimes stuff like Coldplay. It's different every day and I rarely listen same band or same kind of music for over a week.

How does music affect me?

Music has always been the gateway to my creativity. When I hear music, my brain starts to tickle and I start to see images. Scenes for possible movie, made or not made, what I would like to write if I'd wrote a book, designing games or making my own music. All kind of stuff. Music even generates colours to my vision when I'm trying to get a sleep.

Music also sometimes makes me wanna cry.

This scene from American Beauty. When I watched this and heard this gentle piano music I started to feel a pressure in my head, I got very emmotional and really felt like crying. It wasn't sadness, it was rejoicement!

What would I recommend?

Well here are some songs I found from youtube.

Some might like, some might not.

Ulver - Lost in Moments

Sigur Rós - Glósóli

Röyksopp - Alpha Male (Reminds me of old snes games soundtracks)

A Silver Mt. Zion - Sow Some Lonesome Corners So Many Flowers Bloom (part 1 & 2)

Jonathan Kreisberg - The South of Everywhere

If you hang out on last.fm. Do not hesitate to ask me as a friend

http://www.last.fm/user/Murderar

Thank you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to poltermagda For This Useful Post:
Addr68 (01-16-10), Musiscience (03-09-10), unwellbeing (01-21-10)
Old 01-21-10, 04:54 PM
Jr Member

unwellbeing is on a distinguished road
Re: What kind of music appeals to you?

Great post.

No music stimulates my ears more than trance. At the moment, I'm loving this:

Old 01-21-10, 05:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

I like everything except gangsta rap and country.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-10, 06:52 PM

Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,111 Posts
Joker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Nu-metal, alternative rock, and classic rock.

I HATE country music, it makes me want to die. The only country music I like is David Allen Coe and Hank Williams Jr, and it has to be in small amounts. Or I will die.

The Drifters Game:http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141997
Old 01-22-10, 08:10 AM

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Recently (I'm 59 now remember) I've been getting into of Montreal, Arcade Fire and MGMT (Ok so I'm late to those parties, but I like the material).

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
Old 01-22-10, 11:33 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,114 Times in 541 Posts
wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of

I definitely have an affinity for music.

My personal tastes often reflect the emotions I am feeling, or desire to feel...
but then, might that not be the same for everyone?

But, like the OP, music will evoke quite strong emotions that often lead me to tears... of happiness and of sorrow.
I probably average these intense feelings every-other-day or at the least, every third day on average.
Seriously, music is my constant companion and currently my only 'medicine' to get me through each day.

Consequently, my musical tastes include everything except the extreme death metal (mainly because I just cannot grasp a personal meaning to it).

Whether it is the beat, the instrumentation, or the lyrics, every other genre has something to offer me.

I'm this 49 y.o. white guy, but even gangsta' rap has some appeal.
The beat and some of the lyrics draw me in.
I tend to over-analyze things.. according to people who know me, and so I look for the meaning behind songs.
Even if I do not agree with the lyrics, I may find something to understand or appreciate in the author's words.

I do find some music offensive to my person for various reasons... physical or mental.. and so I choose not to listen to those individual songs.

My collection ranges from Native/Aboriginal songs from very long ago, to Classical, Big Band, Be-Bop, Jazz (and it's variants), Rock-n-Roll, Country, Folk (American and World), Alternative, Electronic, Rap, Blues, Soundtrack, Instrumental, Metal, Easy-Listening...

I am often inspired to write just from the mood certain songs put me in.
I remember sitting in the library at UAF (University of Alaska at Fairbanks) once, in tears, listening to a waltz and writing out a short story about unrequited love.
I tend to write very fast when doing this also... don't know why, but the thoughts really come 'tumbling' out.

I use music to pump me up for a particular event, or to help calm me down... like I said... it's my medication.

I would have a hard time recommending something just in a general manner. I would need to know something about the person and what's going on with them currently to have something to recommend.
I mean, I have over 3700 songs in iTunes right now and more CD's on my shelves and music in other formats, and I can appreciate or get excited about them all...

Guess I could look at my playcount in itunes to see what I listen to most?

I will be checking out any suggestions other folks put in here though.
I also like to check out the, "What are you listening to right now?" thread... I've seen some really neat stuff there that I never knew about.
----------------

Just wanted to ad this thought....

I have found myself using music in a manner not all that healthy for me too.

I have pushed myself into deep depression by picking certain songs that intensify my feelings of isolation, pain, anger... the things I generally try to veer away from.

Music can be quite powerful and I understand it's many uses in my life.
Just wanted to include the 'evil' side of music in my life...

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!

Last edited by wsmac; 01-22-10 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Just had to put this in!
Old 01-22-10, 04:05 PM

poltermagda will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Recently (I'm 59 now remember) I've been getting into of Montreal, Arcade Fire and MGMT (Ok so I'm late to those parties, but I like the material).
Especially Arcade Fire is one of the best bands I've listened during the last 2 years, but mostly their first album Funeral, which really is a great album. I often play it through iPod when going for a jog and it does give nice power boosts.

Quote:
I use music to pump me up for a particular event, or to help calm me down... like I said... it's my medication.
This is very well said. Music has always been my self medication and it gives me the right feel to carry on. Without music I would have gotten depressed a long time ago.

This is one of the first post-rock bands I listened and the funny thing is that my friend spotted this band from Conan O' Brien around 2006.

Old 01-22-10, 05:29 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

chamaleon has a spectacular aura aboutchamaleon has a spectacular aura about

Only music thats EXTREMELY FAST

or music that is EXTREMELY LAYERED WITH DIFFERENT, SIMULTANEOUS SOUNDS

never, ever anything 'chilled' NEVER!!!
Old 01-22-10, 06:11 PM

Thanked 11,251 Times in 5,495 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

when im angry

bad version of this , cant find a good one

probably not most peoples on heres thing anyway
Old 01-22-10, 06:16 PM
Jr Member

tom1961 is on a distinguished road

I've found most music annoying for years. When I do listen it's usually some old alternative stuff. My favorite band is The B-52's.
Old 01-23-10, 03:13 AM
Forum ADDvocate

wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of

dave,
V.O.D. is probably close to the edge of the kind of metal I listen to... and yeah, I listen to it when I'm a bit pumped up and angry myself.

It's just some of the scream vocals are hard for me to take for long with some bands.
V.O.D. seems to mix things up enough though.

Poltermagda,

I liked the flying bag video and also this one... Sigur Rós - Glósóli (I sent it to my daughter. I think she'd like it as well).

The Explosions In The Sky videos are interesting...
That band reminds me a bit of Dream Theater or King Crimson... long songs and long songs with interesting music and/or no lyrics.
Not bad, but I was waiting on the vocals during the first video until I realized there wasn't going to be any.

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!
Old 01-23-10, 05:03 PM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmac View Post
dave,
V.O.D. is probably close to the edge of the kind of metal I listen to... and yeah, I listen to it when I'm a bit pumped up and angry myself.

It's just some of the scream vocals are hard for me to take for long with some bands.
V.O.D. seems to mix things up enough though.

Poltermagda,

I liked the flying bag video and also this one... Sigur Rós - Glósóli (I sent it to my daughter. I think she'd like it as well).

The Explosions In The Sky videos are interesting...
That band reminds me a bit of Dream Theater or King Crimson... long songs and long songs with interesting music and/or no lyrics.
Not bad, but I was waiting on the vocals during the first video until I realized there wasn't going to be any.
if you find vod , a clean (recorded) version of d.t.o. its very coherent and relantiong to mental illness

i was ****ed i couldnt find one i could attach
Old 01-23-10, 05:08 PM

nevermind didnt work
Old 01-23-10, 05:31 PM

cleveland band
Old 01-23-10, 06:35 PM
Forum ADDvocate

daveddd,

Thanks, I do like this band.
Been doing some reading about them and the changes they've been through over the years.

When I first saw their pics, I thought... hmmm, Slipknot!
Probably a common mistake.

=========
=========