ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-12-04, 04:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

Onwari is on a distinguished road
YESSS!

I was in my previous job for 10 years. I must have loved that job to stay 10 years.

Anyhoo, I quit my job of ten years 5 years ago to homeschool my boys, who have ADD and were not passing school. I was married at the time, and it was okay to quit.

The homeschooling didn't work, so instead of returning to my old job and having my old co-workers think I was a failure, I started a new field of work at a totally different job. I would end up making a mistakes and torture myself over it, my self-esteem got very very low, I was extremely bored and I thought people talked about me like I was dumb, etc., etc. I was miserable. I was also having marital problems and us splitting up was inevidable.

So I quit there to work at a bookstore. Love books, even though I cannot finish them, but HATED the job. Very mundane. Same old thing every day....shelving, customer service...shelving, customer service....I missed my 10 year job so bad. I missed the people too. It was all I could talk about and people got tired of it.

I ended up quitting.

So about a month later I ended up getting an interview for a manager of my 10 year job!! Yessss!

I blew the interview.

I thought my dreams of having a job I loved were over. I have been depressed over it now for weeks. There are only a couple of places I could go for this, and my past wiped two of the three opportunities out.

Anyway, yesterday I remembered that I had put an application in like 2 months ago to a place for yet another chance to get my ten year job back, and I would make more money.

I called the place where they hire and asked to speak to the manager so I could send him a resume and address it properly. He answered the phone and I told him who I was. He said, "The **** ****?"

I said, "Yes that's me."

He said, "The little girl who is an adrenaline junkie?" It shocked me that he said that, but I answered, "Uhh, I guess."

He said he had heard good things about me. He said he was trying to call me and my phone was ringing but I got through to his office at the same time!!

Isn't that weird?:bowl:

My friends put a good word in for me and got me the interview!!! I will be starting out, with my experience, at like $15 per hour. It isn't much, but I am only making $7.50 per hour now and I hate my job.

In fact, no one around here wants to pay over $8.00 per hour I found out. Unless you have a degree. I am going to school, but it isn't helping now. How can someone live?

I hope this interview turns out good. If it doesn't I will be crushed. I want to work here as it would be perfect for school, and I won't get bored and be terrible at my job, lowering my self-esteem even more.

Wish me luck!! Have any of you had the same experiences looking for work and finding a niche? Gosh, I hope I don't blow this interview....... Sorry for rambeling!!
Old 06-12-04, 06:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Ian has disabled reputation
Breath and enjoy your interview! That is super news. You'll be fine. I like to visualise what I would like to be like in those situations well ahead of time. Your mileage may differ of course.
Please let us know how you make out.
Cheers! Ian.
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 06-13-04, 01:36 AM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
Oh yeah, it's all set up. Just be sincere and you are in. There is nothing else to do and that's the best approach.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-04, 05:26 PM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
Yes Onwari...I've been throught this.....interviewing within a certain "niche"....Just make sure they understand just how much you WANT the job.....ya know, come with GOOD questions and offer a very enthusiastic tone....and give them reasons why they should hire you.....

Please let us know how it goes.....

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 06-17-04, 10:47 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Keppig has disabled reputation
My suggestion is forget that you are being evaluated. You are there to pick out a job. Does it suit you?, Are they doing work you are interested in?, How is the office environment?, Do you want to work there? Ask questions that answer these questions... ex. Ask what level of program are they working at. Ask if you will be in a Team or solitary. Act like you are interviewing them. Its actually alot of fun and oh it makes you look very confident.
Old 06-21-04, 09:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

Thank you for your replies! I am still waiting to hear. The interview went great! The boss said he was really exited about me as I was leaving. He has to submit a Fair Credit Act. What is that? I have really bad credit from my divorce. In fact, we filed bankruptcy 5 years ago. Will that hurt me?
Old 06-21-04, 10:00 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 1,633 Times in 574 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Really depends on the job, and their internal requirements. As an example, because of the sensitive nature of the work I do, a credit check is part of a much deeper background check.

If you're being hired to handle finances, as an example...they may want to check to see if you're a risk, etc.

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 06-21-04, 10:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

Cool

I am trying to be hired as an asset protection person for a very large retailer. I am one of those sneaky folks who go around in plain clothes and catch shoplifters.

Anyway, credit act report has been giving me nightmares since my interview. The thing is, I filed bankruptcy while I was still working as asset protection at my other place of employment. I will have to wait and see...Thanks
Old 06-21-04, 10:32 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 1,633 Times in 574 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Gotcha. Good luck to you!

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 06-25-04, 07:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ohhh yeahhhh....I got the job! I start Tues. Thanks to all of you for your support!
Old 06-26-04, 04:51 PM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT....Congrats to you Onwari.....Let us know how it goes on Tuesday......

Suggestion: Pack yourself a really good and healthy lunch to take with you....

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 06-29-04, 09:05 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Keppig has disabled reputation
Onwari, That's terrific!! We were routing for you!!!
Old 06-29-04, 11:15 PM
Forum ADDvocate

FlakeyGirl will become famous soon enough
What exciting news! Three cheers for you!