ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-14, 06:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

datajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to all
Success, what things in life do you think you have succeeded with?

I'm been reading a bit on another add forum for a bit and quite disgusted with the woe is me, doomed to fail slant. That their own AD/HD, that of their partner or children will create such long odds of completing high school much less college or other further education/skills training, finding and holding a job worth having, having a good romantic relationship or having good relationships with friends.

Yes, the most woe is related to the severity of the expression. But one arrogant AD/HD'er claimed to be the ONLY AD/HD'er s/he had ever personally known of to get a college degree and hold a job for 10 years. Appeared to have a belief that few AD/HD'ers were capable of doing anything but menial labor, unable to hold a job for any length of time, incompetent to ever live independently without being evicted for nonpayment, disorderly conduct or poor housekeeping much less live with anyone else and seemed to consider all other AD/HD'ers as inevitable losers who are parasites on the rest of the population.

What have you done in your life that you consider a success?

My list

Held one job for a company with multiple transfers for 18 years. Almost never late and when I was always due to weather, traffic or other unavoidable factors. I HATE to be late to anything. Work performance was always rated among the highest in a large workforce. Fast, accurate, kept customers happy and went on to train other employees and help those fumbling with some aspect and not meeting standards get up to par. Truth was I was lazy, found ways to make myself efficient and give myself time to daydream and doodle. These were easy to teach others. Simple choices of words and a few ways to minimize therbligs.

Other jobs were similar. Reliable, adaptable, found ways to make the job simpler and more efficient. Worked well with others in general.

I'm a damn good friend. I may not remember your birthday but I'll make you the bread, cookies or cake or custom make an exotic leather belt in your favorite colors just for fun. I'm the go to person for problem solving for a healthy and tasty diet, fitness, many health issues, how to pack your moving van with the most stuff and have unbroken, tracking down odd bits of information and will be there at 2 am if your sick and need to go to the hospital or to talk because you are in despair. I'm egalitarian and my friends range from dropouts to phDs, criminal attorneys to paroled felons, many social and ethnic backgrounds but do tend to be quirky such as the poet who walked cross country with a mule he now works with for carriage rides, musicians, artists, animal trainers, ranchers, farmers, teachers, and even some mainstream middle of the road sorts. I don't do well with bigots and religious fanatics. I don't care about the sex of your partners.

I was married for 34 years. Not all smooth but for the most part, the good stuff was exceptionally good and the love, desire and partnership continued. After my spouse's too early death, I'm fortunate to have found true love again and 5 1/2 years in, we both have the best relationship of our lives. Having learned from our past life experiences.

I've done many atypical things for a woman, heavy powerlifting on a fine boned, lightly muscled body, with a max deadlift of 347# at a body weight of 135 of lean muscle. and no steroids. Went on to karate and self defense, proficient with handguns and shoulder firearms, using power tools including my own chainsaw for logging, driving a horse for logging, riding horses for endurance and winning some cow penning jackpot rounds, retraining the draft horse who had been mishandled so she regained trust, 30 years of breeding, training Dobermans for family companions and protection, teaching obedience classes, running a kennel, helping build our home with swinging the hammer, running the chop and table saws, putting in 40 acres of barbed wire, hydraulic engineering when heavy rain washed out the driveway, and more recently learning to play hand drums becoming proficient enough in a few years to join sessions and do a few gigs, write and read poetry in public, with enough positive feedback from good poets to keep going and improving, done photo shoots for published periodicals and in one case had to fill in as interviewer at an indie music fest when the usual reporter had laryngitis. Interviewing NYC and Korean punk rockers for their opinion on baby boomers in their audience was fun. Starting a small side line with the exotic leather work, and coming up with some dye processes and iridescent finishes I have not seen anyone else do that enhance the natural color, textures and patterns.

And done this without being dx'd or medicated until 2 months ago. The meds would have made much of this easier.

I don't know what others consider a success. I'm enough of a retired hippy that alphabet soup credentials don't impress me that much even if my sweetheart has a phD. I consider a fair number of 'titles' in dog training and showing unimportant even though I have some. The dogs' health, longevity, working ability and obedience out of a ring mean more than a beauty contest and a 1 minute sit stay. While my max deadlift was great, I'm more proud of the first time I lifted twice my body weight, 250 at 125 and did something I never thought I could do. Being the best I can be matters more to me than comparing myself to others most of the time. I try to live in alignment with my ethics and priorities and do quite well. I try not to hurt others except for the times that tough love is true love and they need a whap upside the head to stop hurting themselves or others. I don't have the alphabet soup and never have found something I'd wanted it for. I'm a success by my own standards, have been financially responsible enough to have an adequate retirement and never ever been on unemployment. ACA getting me better insurance is the only form of public assistance I've had.

What are you proud of? What have you succeeded in? And that includes the lesser acknowledged successes of simply holding on and keepin' on when things get tough.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to datajunkie For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (05-05-14), ginniebean (05-06-14), JavaJunkie37 (05-04-14), Stevuke79 (05-05-14), Tmoney (05-05-14), wyleops (05-05-14)
Old 05-04-14, 11:10 PM
Contributor

USMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Success, what things in life do you think you have succeeded with?

Really, none of it really matters.

Neither you nor I, nor anyone else, will decide or judge who is or isn't a "success." Our definition and/or perception of such is irrelevant. Once our time is up on this dilapidated Planet, each of us will stand before our Maker and will give an account for what we did or didn't do.

I've come to see that society's opinion of what is or isn't a "success" is nothing but minutia.
The Following User Says Thank You to USMCcop For This Useful Post:
datajunkie (05-05-14)
Old 05-05-14, 03:56 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,795 Times in 8,905 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Getting better at loving myself is the greatest success/feeling/momentum I've ever experienced. When the domino effect kicks in, it just gets better from there. My mission feels more accomplished than ever, but definitely still a work in progress.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
datajunkie (05-05-14), wyleops (05-05-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-14, 05:26 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,206 Times in 15,405 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Sex. Practice makes perfect!

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
datajunkie (05-05-14), Tmoney (05-05-14), tryn-optmsm (05-06-14)
Old 05-05-14, 10:59 AM

wyleops is a name known to allwyleops is a name known to allwyleops is a name known to allwyleops is a name known to allwyleops is a name known to allwyleops is a name known to allwyleops is a name known to all

I am successful at every thing I do, eventually. I don't measure my success against other people, I just keep working at something until I'm happy with the outcome.

If there is one thing that I am most successful at is trying. I never give up, I try, fail, try again in a new way, fail, and try again. There is nothing I can't do, I just have to discover a method that works for me. Sometimes the effort required isn't worth it and I choose to move on.

I am successful in my career, but that's not important to me anymore. Providing a good life for my wife and children is what makes me happy.

My story is similar to yours. I can't stand a stupid mundane process so I streamline them and make them more efficient. I don't complain about things, I just fix them. Add my career progressed, I no longer had to participate in these processes, I just got paid to fix them.

I too will not remember a friend's birthday, but they can call me at 4 AM from a remote mountain road with a broken down car and I will hop in the car and drive 10 hours to help you out. I am a pacifist but I've been in many fights defending my friends or someone being picked on.

I feel successful, who cares how someone else views my life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wyleops For This Useful Post:
datajunkie (05-05-14), tryn-optmsm (05-06-14)
Old 05-05-14, 01:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

datajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to all

I agree with success being a personally determined conclusion.

There appear to be quite a few AD/HD'ers who have advanced degrees from accredited schools, skills training and achievements in many areas and good social skills in personal life as well as employment.

The arrogant doom'n'gloomer who set my teeth on edge claiming to be a rarity with an MS degree and job in research frankly revolted me. Yes, the statistics are that identified AD/HD'ers have higher rates of being high school drop outs, not getting a higher degree and higher unemployment, higher divorce rates. Some of the statistical maps I've seen show a correlation with areas of low income, poor nutrition, and school systems that are less than optimal. And often a high correlation with tobacco, alcohol and drug abuse problems, crime, DV and the overall social/economic factors that affect the general population in much the same way. More environmental triggers, less of the compensating factors to help cope.

Frankly if I had that doomed to fail mentality I'd find some way to drink or drug myself to death or start skydiving and see how close I can get before opening my chute. If I was around anyone that negative inflicting that meme on others, both AD/HD'ers and non, I'd either be doing all I could to refute that or have to leave.

Doing more to identify the downsides, the triggers, and how to prevent or ameliorate both and greater access to the coping strategies or meds if needed seems a lot more useful than stating a significant portion of the population is doomed socially and economically.

It would not surprise me to find that some passionate, never give up, hyperfocused AD/HD'ers are the ones who will do the most to discover the triggers, prevention and ways to cope for this flavor of brain function.

In talking with my sweetheart last night after reading something about Steve Jobs probably being AD/HD, I mentioned my sweetheart had some of the 'gifts' of AD/HD but his deficit is that he doesn't have the downsides. He has the hyperfocus, rapid thoughts, notices details others do not, can connect many points of data, think out of the box, bores easily, has other signs with mental and physical restlessness but he is organized, good time sense and time allocation, can function amid high distractions unless directly interrupted and stay on task or in a high intensity situation detect what needs to be done.

His career has including being a combat infantry officer--military noted he thought rapidly, detected and responded to the critical factors rapidly and effectively. He had a rare skill, map navigation with a compass and was transferred to a facility to attempt to find how to teach this to others. Even the most elite troops found that some 'got it' most didn't and were unable to find a way to teach it.

He ran a tv news room for decades. Both with short immediate news stories and longer term investigative reporting. Finally burned out on that and went on to financial success in several diverse business areas. Someone family, friends and co-workers can depend on. If he says he'll be there, he's there unless it's impossible. His ability to see what a personal or business problem is, what needs to be done and how makes asking him for advice very useful. If people are willing to do it.

I do wish I had more of what he has that I am deficient in. Meds are helping me get more of his abilities to change thoughts and come back, get started on those projects I want to do but had piled up--the piles are shrinking!

But I realized last night, there isn't anything I've ever really wanted to do that I have not done. And when determined, the hyperfocus kept me going until I reached a level of proficiency good enough for me. I have some works in progress. One I may drop not due to lack of interest but lack of time. It will be there if I want to pick it up again.

I'm happy, life is an ongoing adventure rich in the sorts of activities that feed my body, mind and spirit. I look at the lives of so many so called normals and wonder how they can be satisfied with their impoverished lives no matter how big the house, how expensive the clothing and toys as they are not satisfied, bored and empty inside. Watching the boob tube, not thinking for themselves, treating life as a spectator sport. EEWW!

As a kid/teen I often felt like an outsider. It took some time to understand I didn't want to be inside most of the groups I was outside of. And when looking around, I found plenty of other outsiders I wanted to share life experiences with. I have true love, a comfortable home in a great location, am healthy, financially solvent, not a drain on others. That is success to me. Anyone who doesn't like my disorderly work area and laundry need not stay.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to datajunkie For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (05-06-14), Unmanagable (05-05-14)
Old 05-05-14, 01:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

Karamo is a jewel in the roughKaramo is a jewel in the roughKaramo is a jewel in the rough

Success, heh. I measure myself almost exclusively by comparing myself to other people.

This is perhaps what I consider my biggest "success" in life. Singing.

I started singing late in life (at 22) and could not carry a tune or differentiate between notes. So in these few years I've come SUCH a long way in terms of singing.

But when I think about it, it is not success. Not in my definition of the word. Success would be standing on big stages, singing to thousands. So I can't say I've had any successes in life or that I am successful at anything.

I tend to become "good" very quickly at whatever I attempt but everything loses appeal as quickly as it's gained so I can NEVER practice or keep at monotony needed for improvement.

My singing has developed simply because I try NEW things every time I open my mouth. In the clip above most of the melody and all harmonies I sing was improvised while recording. For the life of me, I can not sing the same thing twice - Not because I forget but because I get bored within half a second, within a WORD.. It's not normal :///

I wish to be a successful singer. But in order for that to ever happen, I will need to be able to practice as to improve tone, color, accuracy et cetera. I will also need to be able to focus on a long term goal which I just CAN'T! GAH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAWTFoP7Jfk
The Following User Says Thank You to Karamo For This Useful Post:
datajunkie (05-05-14)
Old 05-05-14, 02:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,307 Posts
Tmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond repute

I'm extremely proud that I'm as happy andwhat I consider successful as i am today because when I was diagnosed and going through school nobody had any hpe for me.

In the process I married and keep happy a beautiful wife and i raised three awesome kids. two grown one married and one in hogh school.

I have overcome, so far, every obstacle that this disorder has thrown me and I will continue to do so until I no longer walk this earth.

I'm so proud I might just bust!!

One day I may share in detail just how close I was to not making it...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tmoney For This Useful Post:
datajunkie (05-05-14), stef (05-05-14), tryn-optmsm (05-06-14), Unmanagable (05-05-14)
Old 05-05-14, 02:06 PM

Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,307 Posts
Tmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Sex. Practice makes perfect!
You go girl!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tmoney For This Useful Post:
datajunkie (05-05-14)
Old 05-05-14, 02:14 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,974 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamo View Post
I wish to be a successful singer. But in order for that to ever happen, I will need to be able to practice as to improve tone, color, accuracy et cetera. I will also need to be able to focus on a long term goal which I just CAN'T! GAH!!
There is more than one definition of "success" in singing.

Making money in singing, especially popular singing, is essentially a popularity contest. Being the best in tone and accuracy matters more in the classical world, but outside of classical, it's who's the cutest and who's new and exciting - how good you are is just not part of it at all. Some well-known singers are very good. Some are terrible, as in truly incompetent. No one cares much.

If your definition of singing success is not just money, then you might have more room to get what you want.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
datajunkie (05-05-14), Fuzzy12 (05-05-14), Karamo (05-05-14)
Old 05-05-14, 02:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

Karamo is a jewel in the roughKaramo is a jewel in the roughKaramo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
There is more than one definition of "success" in singing.

Making money in singing, especially popular singing, is essentially a popularity contest. Being the best in tone and accuracy matters more in the classical world, but outside of classical, it's who's the cutest and who's new and exciting - how good you are is just not part of it at all. Some well-known singers are very good. Some are terrible, as in truly incompetent. No one cares much.

If your definition of singing success is not just money, then you might have more room to get what you want.
You are right indeed but I guess I was a bit bad at explaining. Tonal accuracy and the actual "singing bit" is for myself and to be able to look at my work and say "Damn, I did that well!". Had I not been so self-conscious and overly self-criticising I might succeed WAY more because of just DOING without DOUBT.

When playing in front of people, the song and the act is what carries. I am not a wooden pole on stage; I know how to get the audience going and I like to be the center of attention. Music is NOT about money. Playing in front of people and getting your music out there is an AMAZING feeling that nothing can beat. I don't care if I don't make money from singing so long as I can sing in front of more and more people and connect with people the only way I know how.

The Following User Says Thank You to Karamo For This Useful Post:
datajunkie (05-05-14)
Old 05-05-14, 03:06 PM

Thanked 30,820 Times in 14,172 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing worthwhile so far. (I've got a few degrees but I struggled so much, the work is riddled with errors and it took so long that I wouldn't really call them a success.)

I'm still hoping that someday I will do something that is of some benefit either to me or anyone else.. maybe when I learn to focus on something for longer than a few minutes.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
datajunkie (05-05-14), eclectic beagle (05-05-14), Karamo (05-05-14), Stevuke79 (05-06-14), wyleops (05-06-14)
Old 05-05-14, 03:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Nothing worthwhile so far. (I've got a few degrees but I struggled so much, the work is riddled with errors and it took so long that I wouldn't really call them a success.)

I'm still hoping that someday I will do something that is of some benefit either to me or anyone else.. maybe when I learn to focus on something for longer than a few minutes.
I have no doubt you will achieve that one day. You are a very giving and warm person.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karamo For This Useful Post:
datajunkie (05-05-14), Fuzzy12 (05-06-14)
Old 05-05-14, 07:19 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post

Fuzzy, I agree with Karamo. You show a kindness and caring that the world needs much more of. Do not underestimate the courage and strength of character needed on to keep on going when things are tough. Your struggle, continued effort when faced with the knowing you still make more errors than you find acceptable and you keep on to the finish. I salute you!

Have you tried meds? I searched for almost 2 years to find an effective enough non med alternative. I found many things that helped, and still apply most--not using the amino acids but may try them as a kicker for the adderall after my next doc visit and asking about them. I was afraid a stimulant would be too hard on my body. I fell for too much media hype. When I did more reading on the reality of long term use and decided to try I found that the meds kept me from having to use adrenaline to focus. Fine as long as adrenaline holds out but my adrenal glands were showing the strain. Improved focus and attention plus better reflexes means my driving is safer as well as overall balance--think risk of falling, and more. LIfe is better with better neurochemistry. I'm fortunate that a low dose as needed works, few side effects, none significant.

You are a benefit right now as is. Being a role model for keeping on when things are tough IS needed. Doing so with a kind heart, not spewing bitterness and the desire to be of more benefit is the sort of person we need more of. Stand tall and proud. Your ethics and character are worthy of respect. Focus on that for a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to datajunkie For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (05-06-14)
Old 05-05-14, 07:25 PM

Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,424 Posts
eclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond repute

Long-term motivation for completing a project. Defeating that sense of futility which very much interferes with that process is incredibly difficult. But, I've been able to do it, partially because someone has been a very loyal partner to me. It's invaluable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eclectic beagle For This Useful Post:
datajunkie (05-05-14), Hypoxia (05-05-14)