ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 07-12-18, 01:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,561 Times in 861 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
Panic Attack at work! Trust EAP?

Sooooo..... Apparently I had panic attack at work yesterday and had to go to the Emergency Room in my workplace. They knew quickly that it was a panic attack. After doing some research when I got home, it seems like it was the depersonalization kind. Mine was derealization, I'm pretty sure. It's caused by many things and the ones that I can claim are depression, anxiety, chronic stress, meds for anxiety/depression, and maybe C-PTSD.

The acutely stressful thing now is job-related: on a written-warning, there is extreme favoritism, schedule sucks, it's boring and more. I've applied to other jobs, nothing yet.

My employer wants me to use our Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) and go to my PCP. I guess they want me to fix whatever is wrong. They have no idea that I know I have issues, see people already and take meds.

I haven't talked to my therapist about work issues at. Also, other than knowing I have ADHD, I don't bring it up even though it is an active issue and impacting work. She worked in the same large psychiatric hospital I do and feel embarrassed and ashamed about it. I only told my pdoc that I didn't like my job and looking for a new one.

I think I might use EAP to just get out all of what's wrong with work (not ADHD, though.) It is one of the stressors in my life but I'm not dealing with it anywhere and this could be a good place.

Have any of you dealt with EAP? How was it?
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 07-12-18, 02:24 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,241 Times in 5,364 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Panic Attack at work! Trust EAP?

I went to a couple of sessions (self-referred) when I was having issues with my boss. It didn’t hurt anything but I can’t say it helped much either.. I still wonder whether “you could always quit” was a default answer or that things were actually that bad.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following User Says Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (07-12-18)
Old 07-12-18, 04:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,561 Times in 861 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Panic Attack at work! Trust EAP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan View Post
I went to a couple of sessions (self-referred) when I was having issues with my boss. It didn’t hurt anything but I can’t say it helped much either.. I still wonder whether “you could always quit” was a default answer or that things were actually that bad.

That is what I expect to happen with mine. Did you quit or did things get better with your boss?
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Sponsored Links