ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 05-13-18, 02:45 AM

Mentalfreak123 is on a distinguished road
Ritalin to Focalin

Hi , Iím 30 years old and recently been diagnosed with ADHD and have been on Ritalin for about 6months. First of all I didnít like the instant release as it made me feel of my face. I was since moved to Ritalin LA and take 30mg a day.
I feel so much better than what I felt before I was diagnosed.
Before I was diagnosed I have been on a low dose of Luvox for five years but absolutely hated my life hated everything was constantly depressing and also suffer from generalised anxiety disorder. Always been very anxious.
My question is today that I feel good but I still feel jittery and off my head when Iím not burning off the Ritalin for eg: work. I still donít feel 100% I just want to feel normal and feel good I donít want to live my life like this forever. So I have a quack appointment tomorrow and I am going to ask if I can have Focalin xr
Has anyone switched from Ritalin LA to Focalin xr and can shed some light on it and there thoughts on focalin. Cheers
I look forward to hearing
Old 05-13-18, 11:18 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,354 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of
Re: Ritalin to Focalin

Hey MF, can't directly help w/ Ritalin or Focalin. OTOH if I was getting good treatment w/ a med, before I switched I would make damn sure my problem (in your case, jittery) was caused by the med and not something else or best treated another way before I switched. Off the top of my head if I was taking in caffeine, I would cut it back/out to see if it makes a difference. If I was losing weight, I might try to stabilize it to see what happens. If I had tried a better way to eat, or some nutrients, or work out regimen, I would take a look to see if that may be the source. Not saying it isn't the med, but if I have a working med that I am otherwise very happy with, I would make sure there isn't a better way to deal with BEFORE switching. HTH, -LN
Old 05-13-18, 12:26 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalfreak123 View Post
First of all I didnít like the instant release as it made me feel of my face. I was since moved to Ritalin LA and take 30mg a day.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "made me feel of my face." Could you please clarify?

Quote:
My question is today that I feel good but I still feel jittery and off my head when Iím not burning off the Ritalin for eg: work. I still donít feel 100% I just want to feel normal and feel good I donít want to live my life like this forever.
I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. Are you saying that, when you take Ritalin, you feel uncomfortable unless you are doing something productive? If so, that might be a sign that the dose is too high.

Quote:
So I have a quack appointment tomorrow and I am going to ask if I can have Focalin xr
I don't want to over-interpret your wording, but hopefully you and your ("quack") doc have a good, communicative relationship.

Quote:
Has anyone switched from Ritalin LA to Focalin xr and can shed some light on it and there thoughts on focalin. Cheers
I look forward to hearing
For some reason, this members of this forum seem to have a lot more experience with amphetamine class stimulants (Adderall, Dexedrine, Vyvanse) than methylphenidate (Ritalin, Focalin, Concerta). I've tried Ritalin IR before, but not Ritalin LA or Focalin. Anyway, hopefully someone with personal experience can chime in.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-18, 07:59 PM
Jr Member

ilovereian will become famous soon enough

I went from Ritalin to Concerta to Focalin. The time line for each for being productive was only a couple hours. Ritalin was good for 3 days then I had to keep on upping the dose. Then went to Concerta. After a few days I had to keep upping the dose. I just didn't like increasing the dose. It would only last 3 or 4 hours the most even though its suppose to last longer than that. Then went to Focalin. Which I hate. It made me emotional and overly sensitive. Couldnt look people in the eye when I talk and almost whispered when I talked. Hated it. I was a wimp and I'm never like that. I'm usually a confident jerk with charisma. But Focalin made me feel a victim. I will not go back to Focalin.

Then I went to adderall and now I feel as if I'm my regular personality but now focused. I had no appetite with ritlain/concerta/focalin. Adderall have my appetite back.