ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 01-23-18, 02:07 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,086 Times in 821 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
What is hyperactive about ADHD-PI?

M
Old 01-23-18, 02:26 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 19,476 Times in 9,730 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is hyperactive about ADHD-PI?

Sometimes, nothing.

Sometimes, people with ADHD who present as predominantly inattentive have some hyperactive symptoms, but not enough to meet the criteria for the combined presentation.

Although it's not mentioned in the name of the disorder (for historical reasons, primarily) impulsivity seems to be a more common feature of ADHD than hyperactivity, including in many people who present as predominantly inattentive. Impulsivity is lumped together with hyperactivity in the diagnostic criteria.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (01-24-18), Lunacie (01-23-18), mildadhd (01-24-18), PoppnNSailinMan (01-24-18)
Old 01-23-18, 06:04 AM

Fluppets is on a distinguished road

I think, if there is any hyperactivity at all in an ADHD-PI person, it is directed inwards.

My personal thought is it has mainly to do with anxiety/fear of punishment. You feel like fidgeting, but afraid of punishment (irrational) you don't move. On the contrary, you try not to get noticed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fluppets For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (01-24-18), kwalk (02-02-18), Lunacie (01-23-18), mildadhd (01-24-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-18, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluppets View Post
I think, if there is any hyperactivity at all in an ADHD-PI person, it is directed inwards.

My personal thought is it has mainly to do with anxiety/fear of punishment. You feel like fidgeting, but afraid of punishment (irrational) you don't move. On the contrary, you try not to get noticed.

Thanks

Freeze or Flight?

Two forms of FEAR response?

I wonder if basic freeze and flight responses are different ends of a spectrum of the same system, or, two different systems?

I am guessing they both originate from the same unconditioned primary FEAR response system, but I am not sure?

M
Old 01-24-18, 09:10 AM

Thanked 14,249 Times in 6,369 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

For me, my mind.

Dexedrine brings the chill, and things are as clear as an unmuddied lake.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (01-24-18), stef (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 12:25 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 13,947 Times in 6,691 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Like aeon, my racing thoughts and mind are what is hyperactive to me.

As a child, I was hyperactive physically. As I became an adult that physical energy turned inward and became racing thoughts and worries.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-24-18), DeClutter (01-24-18), kwalk (02-02-18), Lunacie (01-24-18), PoppnNSailinMan (01-24-18), stef (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 02:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

DeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to behold

My mind can work some serious overtime, both in creative and problemsolving ways.

There are times that it seems to work at lightspeed and that everything connects, heightened awareness. And there are shadow moments where it is all chaos and nothing makes sense :-)

It is mainly hyperactive inside, but in some cases the hyperactivity shows on the outside too. Eg. maintenance jobs on the house sometimes can be postponed for months, and then i do them all at once over just a weekend.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeClutter For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-24-18), Greyhound1 (01-24-18), Lunacie (01-24-18), stef (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 05:27 PM

Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,169 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

My brain.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (01-24-18), Greyhound1 (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 05:33 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,734 Times in 12,988 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

The mind, definitely;
and when I need to hurry, I will actually slow down physically so I contain my thoughts; if I don't I will be incredibly clumsy.
With meds I can do things "seamlessly". The visible sign that they have worn off for the day: fumbling through my purse.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-24-18), DeClutter (01-24-18), Greyhound1 (01-24-18), Little Missy (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 07:13 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 13,947 Times in 6,691 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeClutter View Post
It is mainly hyperactive inside, but in some cases the hyperactivity shows on the outside too. Eg. maintenance jobs on the house sometimes can be postponed for months, and then i do them all at once over just a weekend.
I’m the same way. After enough stress builds up from procrastination, I can become physically hyperactive towards the task(s) at hand. It takes that stress to become motivated enough to start and finish.

Usually, when the mental anguish outweighs the physical is when my motivation kicks in. I get to a point where I can’t stand worrying about it any longer and I become hyper focused and that’s when things get done.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-24-18), Little Missy (01-24-18), ToneTone (01-26-18)
Old 01-24-18, 07:18 PM

Thanked 14,249 Times in 6,369 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
I’m the same way. After enough stress builds up from procrastination, I can become physically hyperactive towards the task(s) at hand. It takes that stress to become motivated enough to start and finish.

Usually, when the mental anguish outweighs the physical is when my motivation kicks in. I get to a point where I can’t stand worrying about it any longer and I become hyper focused and that’s when things get done.
My brother of another mother.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (01-24-18), Little Missy (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 07:33 PM

Thanked 20,884 Times in 11,122 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmmm, I've been known to claw around in the consoles of the car, run back and forth around the house, oh it just goes on and on.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-24-18), Greyhound1 (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 07:34 PM

Thanked 20,884 Times in 11,122 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post

M
what do you do?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 01-24-18, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
what do you do?
I have a hyperactive involuntary FEAR/freeze anxiety response system and a hyperactive involuntary GRIEF/separation anxiety response system, resulting in a hypoactive involuntary SEEKING/motivation response system and a involuntary hypoactive PLAY/joy response system ( neurochemical imbalance in areas of involuntary and voluntary processing from the VTA to the OFC)

Although, I luckily have also experienced a tremendous amount of supervised free play, during my early life to help me compensate.

The situation of my environment has a decisive affect.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 01-24-18 at 10:14 PM..
Old 01-24-18, 10:47 PM
Contributor

CharlesH is a glorious beacon of lightCharlesH is a glorious beacon of lightCharlesH is a glorious beacon of lightCharlesH is a glorious beacon of lightCharlesH is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post

M
A diagnosis of ADHD-PI means they did not meet the diagnostic criteria for hyperactivity. However, many are sub-clinically hyperactive, meaning that they just barely missed the cutoff. These people are probably going to respond similarly to meds as people with ADHD-C.

However, some ADHD-PI patients have virtually no symptoms of hyperactivity. These people are more controversial. Researchers such as Russell Barkley believe that these people actually don't have ADHD, and that they actually have "sluggish cognitive tempo." However, sluggish cognitive tempo is not currently recognized in the DSM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-24-18)