ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you think knowing how human self-regulation develops is important?
yes 7 70.00%
no 2 20.00%
other 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-17, 01:23 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute
Do you think knowing how human self-regulation develops is important?

Do you think knowing how human self-regulation develops is important in regards to ADHD?

m
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
l_ruth_ (05-07-17)
Old 05-01-17, 01:50 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,680 Times in 8,859 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you think knowing how human self-regulation develops is important?

Important for who? And important for what purposes?

I think your original question is so broad that there can't possibly be an answer to it.

Understanding how hemoglobin works is necessary for some medical professionals, but for me as a regular user of breathing it doesn't really matter if I've even heard of hemoglobin, let alone the science behind it.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-11-17)
Old 05-01-17, 01:59 AM

mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post

I think your original question is so broad that there can't possibly be an answer to it.

Understanding how hemoglobin works is necessary for some medical professionals, but for me as a regular user of breathing it doesn't really matter if I've even heard of hemoglobin, let alone the science behind it.
Important in regards to treating (etc) ADHD.

m
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-17, 02:26 AM

Understanding neurodevelopment helps understand treatment (etc) for lack of neurodevelopment.

m
Old 05-01-17, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post

I do not think we need a science degree to understand general conditions that promote development.

Example, we know consistent abnormal distresses make things worse.

We know that supervised free play makes things better.

Simple but very important information in regards to treatment, etc.

m
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (05-01-17), Unmanagable (05-01-17)
Old 05-01-17, 08:43 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,154 Times in 8,641 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

I think it's important to know and understand as much as we can about how our body and mind develops and functions as it relates to our overall well-being, not just limited to adhd. Credible and reliable information is so readily available these days, it really can be maddening at times to see the depths of ongoing willful ignorance.

I feel all too often we rely on and put our faith in an "expert" of some sort hoping they will competently and completely steer us in the right direction while we really have no, or very little, clue what they're talking about when offering us solutions.

Many don't really make time to educate themselves on the basic foundations of what makes a body tick healthily in the first place. We just automatically rely on more outside sources for our answers, just as we've been taught to do, and often assume things are going just as they should be because the expert said so. Until it doesn't.

I know I didn't appreciate, recognize, or understand the effects of certain foods, beverages, hygiene products, cleaning products, etc. on my overall well-being until I learned more about the actual processes of the various systems in my own body. Had I not taken those extra steps on my own, I'd still be deeply immersed in what was causing me more harm and incredible discomfort.

In learning more, however, I added a whole new level of issues to deal with. Learning doesn't always give us the answers we want, but from what I've experienced, it seems to greatly increase the accuracy rate in finding more specific answers that genuinely help my biology vs. generically painting me with same broad brush as the rest of the population, and likely harming me even more, albeit subtly and slowly.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
kwalk (05-11-17), mildadhd (05-01-17)
Old 05-01-17, 01:17 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,680 Times in 8,859 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

As far as treating ADHD, from the professional's point of view, yes I agree that what you're saying is definitely important.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (05-01-17)
Old 05-07-17, 12:14 AM
Jr Member

l_ruth_ has disabled reputation

yes definitely
The Following User Says Thank You to l_ruth_ For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (05-08-17)
Old 05-07-17, 09:43 AM
Contributor

speculative is just really nicespeculative is just really nicespeculative is just really nicespeculative is just really nice

Yes, since it speaks to the "lack of inhibition" symptom.
The Following User Says Thank You to speculative For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (05-08-17)
Old 05-11-17, 01:11 AM

kwalk is a glorious beacon of lightkwalk is a glorious beacon of lightkwalk is a glorious beacon of lightkwalk is a glorious beacon of lightkwalk is a glorious beacon of light

I can control myself pretty well from interrupting people or being pretty conscious of what I'm saying, though it took practice. I mean there are many times when I walk away from a conversation and I think why didn't I say that or why did I say that? But there are so many moments in life that there will be more time and not a big deal too be to hard on yourself about these things.
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”