ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-17, 05:08 PM
The Von Kaiser of Moderators

Johnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of light
Do you have one of... those people around you?

I'm having troubles explaining this, but there is a guy I went to high school with who I try and hang out with every year or so (I live across the country) who also has ADHD. Actually, there are 3 former HS classmates that are in that group, all of whom, I think, have the condition (which is really, really interesting to me, as these are the people I maintained a friendship with for years even when I didn't know I had this condition myself... but I digress), but Bill is the one I kind of want to concentrate on. Bill is by everything I can see a pretty normal guy. Unlike me he was diagnosed at a pretty early age, but he's never been able to / has always been reluctant to medicate himself because of an adverse reaction to the drugs (I think it was the "they made me feel like a zombie" thing, which I know is more than likely that his p-doc at the time just gave him too much to start out but you know how a bad experience can color your perceptions and all that). So we've pretty much always interacted as two ADHD guys doing ADHD things at each other.

Here's the thing, though: our brains interact with each other *really* weirdly. Like, with my other friends Larry and Brian we can talk and occasionally one of us will make a really weird, off the wall comment (like you do) and it'll just be a thing. But with Bill... he or I will say something weird or crazy or funny, then the other will come back with something weirder/crazier/funnier, and then the original party will come back, and soon, like 5 or 6 responses in, we're narrating an entire fake episode of the 1980s sitcom Mr. Belvedere. Oh yeah, and all the while, while we're doing this, the tempo of the responses gets ever higher and faster - it's like our brains are hitting the full ADHD limit, with the ideas just not taking *any* amount of time for filtering.

The other friends - Larry in particular - just cannot stand it when we do this, in large part because both of us get locked in on this so much that we kind of start interrupting everything else and if we're like, taking in the flow of conversation at all, it's only tangentially. And I'm sure it is very tiring to try and be a part of. I kind of want to make a podcast with this guy because it also winds up being very weird and very funny, but at the same time I kind of wonder if this thing that our brains do when they are in close proximity is going to give us cancer or something.

So, all of this is a weird way of introducing this... does anyone else have a friend or a loved one or SO or [insert relationship here] with whom you interact in a really, really weird, off the wall way because of the ADHD? If so, YOU MUST DISCLOSE THESE INFOS
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Slick For This Useful Post:
aur462 (05-17-17), kwalk (05-11-17), l_ruth_ (05-09-17)
Old 05-09-17, 05:23 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,943 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you have one of... those people around you?

A. Mutual comfort level high enough

B. Social situation casual enough, or isolated enough from judgment

C. Shared background knowledge and/or shared experience large enough

D. Moods match closely enough or are flexible enough

BOOM!

ADHDmageddon!

Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Johnny Slick (05-10-17), kwalk (05-11-17), Pilgrim (05-17-17), RextheDog (05-16-17), willow129 (05-10-17)
Old 05-09-17, 06:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 18,128 Times in 9,691 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

YES!!!

He passed away.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Johnny Slick (05-10-17), kwalk (05-11-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-17, 03:35 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,355 Times in 12,788 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

My brother and I are like that but I think it has to do with us being the same kind of weird since he doesnt have adhd.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 05-16-17, 05:02 AM
The Von Kaiser of Moderators

Johnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of light

I actually just IMed this guy tonight! Mr. Belvedere was a data point.
Old 05-17-17, 03:08 PM

Black_Rose1809 is on a distinguished road

My boyfriend has PDD, so we always have these types of talks and it's extremely fun. xD
Old 05-17-17, 06:14 PM
Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all

Yup...good friend has hyper ADD, I have Attention Deficit ADD and our conversations sound like two mad (Insane) people. He says Meow for hello.....and it goes from there!
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Bill For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (05-17-17)
Old 05-17-17, 09:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,833 Times in 1,159 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

I think I've sorta got that, or I wish I had it. I don't care if you had all the money in the world. Good connecting relationships trump that. Me thinks
Old 05-17-17, 10:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

aur462 is on a distinguished road

That sounds great. I've never had many close friends..Then after I got married I've been a little isolated -she keeps me locked in the closet in the evenings too, which is literally confining

More or less I don't have quirks that previous friends share. My friends were sadly normal. Also, my wife and I ived in 4 different states in 3 years until moving back to our home state recently, so that didn't help anything. I'll probably find a "meet up" group.

I am jealous of your relationship with these dudes. It must be nice to have random, nonsequitur interactions with that many people at once. I've only had bizarre conversations with one person at a time. Wow...the energy there must be.
Old 05-17-17, 11:25 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Cyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend I can go on silly tangents with. We don't talk much around other people, so there is no one around to complain. He doesn't have ADHD. He seems vaguely neuro-atypical though. (In the past, some professionals have mentioned ADHD or Asperger's to him, but he was never really assessed, and my unprofessional opinion is he wouldn't meet the diagnostic criteria now, but he might've actually been one of those people who "grow out of" ADHD.)

I think in social conversations in general, it's normal for me and my conversation partners to drift topics a lot. I thought this was normal for everyone, but I occasionally hear it's an ADHD thing.