ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 05-11-17, 10:05 AM

momof2js0408 is on a distinguished road
Exessive Picking

My son is 13 years old. He was diagnosed with ADHD when he was six. He has been on Concertta for several years now. Of course like most children with ADHD he fidgets quite often. He also has a horrible habit of picking his nails. He picks them so bad they bleed and sometimes get infected. Does anyone else deal with this type of situation? Do you have any suggestion on how to get him to stop? I would appreciate any advice you may have.
The Following User Says Thank You to momof2js0408 For This Useful Post:
l_ruth_ (05-13-17)
Old 05-11-17, 11:45 AM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Exessive Picking

How does he pick? My son wouldn't stop biting his nails and cuticles and I covered his hands with the very bad tasting stuff they sell in the stores for nail biting cures....it worked for him...for the most part.
Old 05-13-17, 05:36 AM
Jr Member

l_ruth_ has disabled reputation

Hey, I'm not a parent. I personally would say it's a case of figuring out what a habit is doing for the person, then possibly redirecting it in a healthy way --- what keeps coming to mind is how I've heard exercise is quite important for people with ADHD. Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-17, 06:22 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 27,759 Times in 12,452 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever considered another medication? Sometimes medications in the methylphenidate class of drugs can cause tics like picking, chewing, throat clearing etc.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.