ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-13, 04:51 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,202 Times in 9,398 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A few blurbs I found regarding Hyperfocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimabob View Post
My understanding is that hyperfocus as a result of ADHD is a myth. ADHD leads to perserverance, not hyperfocus--ADHDers (like all people) have the potential for hyperfocus, but not because of their ADHD.
I think you mean "perseveration" and the person who stated it was making some rather broad generalizations and using a term that had negative connotations to support his argument that ADHD has no positive effects, but his statement was not particularly accurate.

Quote:
My experience is that this is true. Having known some people who are capable of hyperfocus from time to time--and perhaps having experienced it myself once in a blue moon--I think there is a qualitative difference between the very nature of the attention process experienced by an ADHDer playing 20+ hours of games, or surfing the net for hours, and someone in true hyperfocus.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I never saw these things as hyperfocus, and people who don't have ADHD do them too.

Everyone has anecdotal experience. While it is helpful for individuals who experience it, making a generalization based on it is not necessarily accurate.
Old 04-29-13, 08:35 PM

Ultimabob is on a distinguished road

Right--meant perseveration.

I believe I did hear that argument made by Russell Barkley as part of his presentation. I thought I had heard the argument from other sources as well, but perhaps it was just Barkley. You feel he is alone on this one? And I'm curious what people feel constitutes "hyperfocus" then.
Old 04-29-13, 09:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,517 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

What he describes as "perseveration" is nothing at all like what I experience as "hyperfocus." It's the one point on which I am in total disagreement with Barkley - but not everyone here experiences "hyperfocus" the same way I do, either.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-13, 09:50 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,202 Times in 9,398 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimabob View Post
Right--meant perseveration.

I believe I did hear that argument made by Russell Barkley as part of his presentation. I thought I had heard the argument from other sources as well, but perhaps it was just Barkley. You feel he is alone on this one? And I'm curious what people feel constitutes "hyperfocus" then.
One example of hyperfocus for me was writing a 50,000 word book on three separate days over an eight day period.

Two of those days were 20,000 words each.

Another happens while I'm playing video games - usually multiplayer, in situations that require a lot of focus.

I don't know that these are necessarily unique to ADHD, but I do know it's something I have really experienced.

I don't know if Barkley is alone on this, but in the same talk in which he gave that bit of a speech he was hammering home the point that ADHD is nothing but negatives. Given that context, I suspect what he is saying has as much to do with politics as it does anything else.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
Nonzens (08-17-13)
Old 07-10-13, 07:48 PM
Jr Member

valkyriemp is on a distinguished road

I can see I'm going to get something from reading through these, but this really has been something that's been a huge advantage to me through the years...

My infinite dedication to gymnastics. I trained about 30 hours a week as well as school by the age of 12 (it turns into a trauma after that - mibbe another post). Anyway, it jointly used up and gave me a safe outlet for my energy, taught me about goal setting and positive reinforcement. Taught me that some things are worth the effort.

My job - I'm really good at it. Because even thought it's in an office and a lot of it's numbers and papers, I've had a lot of freedom to think big, join the dots, fill in the gaps...something that requires more than just the office hours...it's like a hobby sometimes.

But something's gone wrong there.

I'm not sure how much is me, how much is poor management. But in the self-questioning style of somebody who probably has ADHD, I'm sure I'll have done something wrong. Something I never quite meant to. And I feel like a 10 year old getting reprimanded in school again without quite being sure about the reasons why
Old 07-10-13, 08:13 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whrsmymind View Post
MusikGeliebter, I totally agree, I even hyperfocus on TV (of course this is usually not what I am trully hyperfocussing on) and hate it when my wife wants me to do something else. When I am in an extreme hyperfocus, my mind is so alive, it is like a drug that I am almost depressed when my thoughts are a little less focused. I don't know if anyone else experiences the similar ups and downs, but being in a hyperfocus state make me feel so alive, my mind is literally on fire, processing, thinking, running models from my code, everything is so clear. But, thinking about other things becomes difficult. When it ends and my mind is darting around, not focused, I almost feel depressed.
Hmm...I wonder if you've hit the nail on my head there...
Old 07-10-13, 10:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,014 Times in 632 Posts
janiew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud of

I see perseveration in several aspects of my world. It's invaluable in the work I do, which is highly detail oriented and constantly changing. When you use it at work, it can be exhausting - at least for me. My clients see the work I do and are amazed but that's why they pay me to do it, rather than do it themselves. My work is detailed and it's also conceptual - finding the weakness, figuring how to fix it, and keeping up with regulatory changes and implementing them.

In areas other than work, perseveration can be stimulating. It's even stimulating at work on some levels.

The problem perseveration causes for me is task-shifting. Stopping what I'm doing and moving on to the next thing. I see this in my private life as well. My husband has mentioned my problems with it and I am trying to experience my transitions more smoothly. That is, take into account how it affects others. This is something I never noticed before about myself until he pointed it out. Before, it was an irritation or frustration.
ADD me (07-11-13)
Old 07-11-13, 06:46 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,839 Times in 15,223 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

hyperfocus or perseveration has never been a positive for me.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ADD me (07-11-13)
Old 07-11-13, 03:06 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogirl View Post
HYPER FOCUS for me is about projects ... but also "over doing it" in conversations .... socializing ... thinking.... sleeping....

Im NOW determined to skip along on topics instead of digging in..

So im gonna end this..instead of writing a long long thingy

see getting better already
See, I get this one Gogogirl. And I think that's where something that's always felt like a bonus is feeling like a disadvantage right now.

Maybe my circles changed more frequently. Now that I've been in the same company roughly for 15 years those around me are growing weary of the latest big idea that takes up all the conversation...no matter how hard I try to just bite my tongue and let someone else have a go.

Making me feel a little lonely, though I'm always saved by my longstanding best of friends for whom I'm probably a bit of an energiser much of the time.
Old 07-12-13, 12:54 AM
Contributor

arxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy~Feet View Post
What y'all think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocus

Hyperfocus describes an intense form of mental concentration or visualization that focuses consciousness on a narrow subject, or beyond objective reality and onto subjective mental planes, daydreams, concepts, fiction, the imagination, and other objects of the mind.

From a neurodiversity perspective, hyperfocus is a mental ability that is a natural expression of personality. However, hyperfocus can also be regarded as a psychiatric diagnosis, as a distraction from reality and a symptom of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), adult attention-deficit disorder (AADD), or autism. Counter to this view, the DSM-IV diagnostic criteria for ADHD (for example) do not include anything resembling hyperfocus and instead emphasise opposite behaviors such as "often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks".

Some people say that hyperfocus is an important element of meditation, but Osho emphasized that meditation is not concentration. In common parlance, hyperfocus is sometimes referred to as "zoning out." In sports, it is sometimes referred to as "being in the zone."

http://www.enotalone.com/article/4123.html

Both research and clinical experience tells us that ADHD Children can exhibit a type of "hyperfocus" - intense concentration and single-minded focus when the activity is very interesting. This situation is most often found when ADHD Children play computer games. ADHD Children may have an amazing ability to hyperfocus on a computer game, one of the few things that moves fast enough to maintain their attention, unlike homework or routine chores.

The hyperfocus found in ADHD Children is not a normal type of concentration or focus. Remembering the neurochemical aspects of Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), hyperfocus requires the child to use the maximum attention and sustained concentration available. For parents and teachers, imagine trying to thread a needle, in low light, while sitting in a row boat in the ocean - the waves tossing and rolling all the time. The amount of concentration required to thread that needle makes us anxious, tense, and irritable - as if somebody were asking us questions while we were trying to thread that needle. This is way ADHD Johnny is so fidgety while trying to listen to your conversation or correction.

In ADHD Children, hyperfocus allows them to participate in computer games or watch high-action movies - but at a cost. The amount of energy being used makes them very irritable. If a parent interrupts the computer game or movie with a question, a call for lunch, or a request - the ADHD Children is likely to explode in a burst of verbal or physical aggression. His or her concentration has been broken and that neurochemical activity spills out into the room, or is directed at the interrupting source.

http://school.familyeducation.com/le...nts/37763.html

Can a gifted child who spends hours focused on a task still have ADHD?
Some parents and professionals assume that a child who can concentrate for a long time cannot have ADHD. This is incorrect. It's understandable that an observer might dismiss the possibility of ADHD, because from all appearances the child is so absorbed in a task that everything around her fades into oblivion.

While this state of rapt attention may be the sign of a creative mind, it may also be "hyperfocus," which is a similar condition that individuals with ADHD frequently experience. You can't tell children with and without ADHD from how they engage in high-interest activities -- such as videos, computer games, or reading for pleasure. The key is effort. How your child performs during projects that require effort -- but aren't necessarily high-interest -- can mark the difference.

So a child with ADHD can concentrate for long periods of time?
ADHD is not characterized by a child's inability to pay attention, but rather is marked by his inability to control his attention. A child with ADHD has great difficulty paying attention to tasks that are not immediately rewarding, that require effort.

While "hyperfocus" can be a positive sign of commitment to a task and a sign of motivation, it becomes a problem when a gifted child is asked to shift from one task to another. In other words, while this intense concentration can be positive for the child's thinking, it can also cause problems in her behavior.

Seems to be a subject coming up a lot here of late. What does hyperfocus mean to you?

Crazy
That describes it well. To me,I if there are no particularly interesting tasks at hand,I bounce from topic to topic until I find one that is particularly more interesting than the others. Thats not all there is to it though. How easy a task is seems to come into play as well. A mildly interesting task,that is very easy,may win over a somewhat interesting task that is hard and takes a lot of effort,but something that is really interesting will win out over both,even if it requires still more effort.

If I there is a task that I can do,or think about (and I can do that most any time,so that can make a problem for me) that is far more interesting than any of the other options,that one can grab my attention and hold it. When that happens,I work on that problem or task (even if that task is researching some random subject on the internet) exclusively for long periods of time. Becuase it is so much more interesting than everything else,it can hold my full attention. Without medication,that most interesting task will consume my attention for long periods of time. I may have a hard time putting it down. It can often take physical action like touching my shoulder or even shaking my shoulder slightly to get my attention. I will often notice someone is trying to get a hold of me,and then promptly go back to my task and literally forget that I had even been talking to someone. Having all my brainpower on a single problem usually leads to really solid conclusions in a timely manner.
The Following User Says Thank You to arxonius For This Useful Post:
ADDarkD@y (07-12-13)
Old 08-17-13, 02:38 AM
ADDvanced Member

Nonzens has a spectacular aura aboutNonzens has a spectacular aura about

This thread is great.

I hyperfocus on forums like this one. On typing random posts and comments online. Lately that's taken up a lot of my time. If someone asks me what I did today, probably the main thing I'd think of is that I wasted time typing a long response to a random post on the internet, and then I probably didn't even post it because I was being a perfectionist about it (if it was a blog or article, at least).

I've definitely hyperfocused on video games... like full on OCD level of obsession... I do have an obsessive personality, but I think that ADD is the main problem which turns me OCD sometimes. In 8th grade, I started playing this game... and it was like my entire life for four months. Then I realized the game was just stressing me out and making me angry because I couldn't advance quickly enough anymore, and the other players were mean, plus it had completely taken over my life... so I just suddenly stopped playing altogether and started to hate video games and tried to avoid ever getting sucked back into one by avoiding all games. I wanted my life back. A few years later I ended up getting sucked into another game for a month or two... this time was even worse. I wasn't in school so it literally was my entire life for that period of time. What's more, I hated myself for playing the game because I was 19 and should be above it by now... it wasn't even nearly as sophisticated or interesting a game as the other one. I'd wake up, play the game all day, eat, and sleep, repeat. It was pathetic. And I still hated video games the entire time I was playing it. I couldn't make myself stop no matter how stupid I thought it was. But when I finally did, I never looked back - so in that sense, it wasn't an addiction. No withdrawal. But I'd be embarrassed to tell anyone in real life about the full extent of my obsessions with video games. I haven't played any since that one, but it was like... the game is built to give you all these little rewards. Tiny rewards in perfect succession so that you get addicted to getting the rewards... if I'd been on Ritalin, I wouldn't have gotten sucked in like that because I'd have had control over my attention, and I don't deem video games worthy of it and haven't since 8th grade.

I hyperfocus on Facebook and all sorts of random internet activities. I'm almost as embarrassed about this as the video game thing. It's the same thing, in essence. I rarely get up from my computer unless I have to. I can't use dating sites because they make dating extraordinarily time consuming with all my endless browsing of profiles...
Old 08-17-13, 01:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

Nonzens has a spectacular aura aboutNonzens has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotInDisguise View Post
Your son sounds like when I was a kid. I couldn't stay focused on school unless it's interesting math or science stuff (no boring details, please). I would play video games all the time, much to my parents' annoyance. And when they interrupted me for any reason, I got ******.

Not much has changed, except that I quit gaming and when I'm interrupted from something that I'm intensely focused on, I control myself so as to not look like the raging ***** that I am on the inside lol

never knew that little bit of childhood behavior was part of adhd lmao
For me, I could get hyperfocused on video games... but also, I think I was maybe hyperfocused on school in some ways. I just saw my grades as all-important back in the day before I knew anything else. It was the easy thing. In college, I ended up spending entire nights staring at the screen trying to write papers, sometimes the same paper for 5 nights in a row... and after 5 sleepless nights, only wrote one measly paragraph. I blamed it on perfectionism and anxiety at the time, but if I'd been on Ritalin, those papers would've gotten written in one or two nights. Instead, I never finished most of them and ended up failing all my classes that semester. What was I hyperfocused on? I dunno... I guess the belief that my entire life depended on whether or not I finished those papers, and that if I didn't finish them, I was doomed... and that if I stared at the screen long enough and pushed my mind hard enough, I'd be able to write the papers. I was wrong. I cried when one of my professors approached me and said it appeared that I didn't care about her class because I hadn't turned in a paper or responded to her emails about it.... how could she say that when I spent all those nights trying to write a paper for her?
Old 10-24-13, 12:06 PM
Jr Member

Maureen410 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrrd View Post
and every coupla months I'd go through those coupons and get rid of the expired ones. most of the time I left them in my purse, totally forgotten.

Yep, my hyper focus as well, N. I'd read a book straight until it was done. In class, on the bus, on the toilet...
and marathon puzzles. I'm lucky that I found work that took advantage of it.
Prioritizing IS a real problem, my problem. I don't wanna and you can't make me.
I am curious about what kind of work you found?

I am in panic-mode about getting a job after 8+ yrs at home with kids. I used to be a Staff Accountant. The General Ledger work & reconciliations could provide interesting meat for me to sink my hyper-focus teeth into BUT the filing & envelope stuffing were boring & too prevalent. Plus, the data entry. Oh, the data entry! I always needed my notes to be perfectly consistent. A difficult goal that required so much thinking & planning & TIME! That created constant & intense anxiety while I felt the clock ticking in my head. The checks needed to get printed - or people would soon be lined up at my office door!!!

Anyone else know of work that allows you to indulge in hyper-focus highs (love this analogy some of you put out there) without too much guilt or consequence?
Old 12-11-13, 02:51 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Lizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant future

I do that, "Couldn't hear or see anything else/time flies by unnoticed" thing ALL the time. I think hyperfocus and the ADD way of losing track of time are often intimately tied together. I have trouble starting things, but man, once I start...holy mackerel! This is how I pull off big projects at the last minute and keep up my mask of competance to the world. On the plus side, we can really create amazing projects this way. But it, like anything else, will sometimes hurt us when we let it get out of balance. I'm great for focusing so much on a blog entry or homework I neglect household chores for days! Oops...
The Following User Says Thank You to Lizzie80 For This Useful Post:
Senegalle (03-28-14)
Old 12-16-13, 12:16 PM

kermdafro has a spectacular aura aboutkermdafro has a spectacular aura about

Not to turn this thread in a negative direction, but I hate when neurotypicals ask you for information only to treat you awkwardly once they sense hyperfocus. I noticed a situation the other day at costco where a lady was asked by a man about the gluten-free products she was buying just as she was checking out. She immediately began explaining not only the superficial reasons for buying certain products over others but also how she trial/error'd her way to get to this point. The information she was throwing out could have been coming from an organic food company's database. It was extremely helpful to anyone wanting to know about gluten-free. So how did the man respond? At first he was visibly thankful but as she went on he began looking around at the other people in line, the cashier, etc. As you can guess, sociology took over and he began distancing himself from her in a social way. I really felt bad for the lady. She was asked a question to which she had the answer to but just didn't know how to deliver it.