ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 08-16-04, 07:38 PM

Mandz1129 is on a distinguished road
ADD Adult wants a Career Change! Help!

Hi, My name is Amanda, I'm 24 years old and I graduated from a liberal arts college with a Psychology BA 2 years ago. I went to graduate school for the last two years part time and I found it very difficult to work and go to school and consequently failed out. I have been working as a Theraputic Staff Support with children who have behavioral disorders for the last two years. I am decided that I would like a career change because I found out that I really don't like working in the mental health feild. So, now in another week I am moving home. I resigned from my job on Friday and I am planning on just refocusing on what I really want to do with my life. I have no idea where to start or what to do. I can't be unemployed for much longer than a month, but my parents were nice enough to let me move back into the house until I get myself on my feet again. Does anyone have any advice??

Last edited by Keppig; 08-17-04 at 08:11 PM..
Old 08-17-04, 12:12 AM

tmb110 is on a distinguished road
Sounds Familiar

Your story sounds very familiar to me I to have a Psych degree and worked as a counselor for teens and adults and I really enjoyed it but I needed to make more money. I chose to go into recruiting and was very successful at it although now 8 yrs later I am on my 5th job and I realized that I had ADD I too am looking to make a career change. I wish you the best of luck..
Old 08-17-04, 12:20 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Ian has disabled reputation
Was there something particularly offensive about the work you were doing?
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-04, 04:26 PM

Mandz1129 is on a distinguished road
I am just very burned out from my job. I put a lot of emotion into it, and I find it hard to care for the children and see them treated poorly by their parents, teachers, ect. Its a very draining feild and it definately doesn't pay very well at all. I just can't see myself doing it for the next 30 years. I feel as if there is something out there that I would really enjoy doing that I do very well, but I just don't know what that is yet.