ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-11, 10:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

ByStarlight will become famous soon enough
Feeling physical pain when trying to listen?

Let me try and explain this: When people are talking to me, sometimes I get this really weird, painful feeling when I'm trying to stay put and listen to what they are saying. It's usually only when I have just thought of something or am just about to do something, and then they come up to me when I'm just about to go do *whatever activity* and as I stop and try to concentrate on their face and what they are telling me, then the pain comes. It feels like pressure on my whole body, like something pushing on me. I am positive that it's not anxiety. I've never had anxiety, and I don't feel panic when this happens or scared, and the only painfulness is that "pressure" feeling. I am also sure that it's mentally-created discomfort, because it's not like a specific part of my body hurts, it's just all over and it seems to come from the internal conflict that develops inside me like it's about to rip me in half.

The only emotion I feel is this crazy annoyance or anger, because on the outside I'm trying my very best to sit still and fighting against my body's urge to walk away, and inside I'm yelling at the person "Come on stop talking already! Don't you realize you are making me forget what I was trying to do??? You are ruining my whole everything because at the end of this talk I am going to completely go blank!! I hate you right now.. etc" Maybe not hate, but hopefully you get the picture.

It's this awful struggle between mind and body, while trying to concentrate on what the person is actually saying and not be thinking of how their face looks, what I was trying to do that was so important, and what that weird-*** discomfort I am currently feeling is... It's like this whole mound of things that seems to distance me so far from the world outside my head that sometimes I forget everything and by the time the person is done talking, they are just looking at me and then walking away because it is just that obvious that I didn't hear a word they said and now it has become awkward.

I get this "painful discomfort pressure feeling" sometimes when I am sitting for a period of time. Not very long usually, but if I don't have a pen to chew on or my hair is in a ponytail and out of twirling reach, that feeling comes where it becomes an urgency to get up and go to a different part of the room because I just have to move. Now I really don't consider myself "hyperactive", but then I don't really know what the hyper in ADHD is really like so I don't know. But with all situations like this, it's like emergency status. The painful antsy feeling is like my warning signal that I must go off to do whatever or else I will just implode or something...

So onto the actual question : I really want to know if this is that unusual or if other people who also have ADHD get this extreme with their inattention?

I apologize if this has been asked and answered already, though I'm pretty sure I've been all over these forums and have not come across anyone who has mentionedhaving such a dramatic physical reaction to plain inattentiveness. That is really why I posted this thread, because I am intensely curious to know if I am really alone on this or what?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ByStarlight For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (11-15-11), QueensU_girl (11-15-11)
Old 11-15-11, 12:08 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,334 Times in 2,020 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Feeling physical pain when trying to listen?

Quote:
I get this "painful discomfort pressure feeling" sometimes when I am sitting for a period of time. Not very long usually, but if I don't have a pen to chew on or my hair is in a ponytail and out of twirling reach, that feeling comes where it becomes an urgency to get up and go to a different part of the room because I just have to move. Now I really don't consider myself "hyperactive", but then I don't really know what the hyper in ADHD is really like so I don't know. But with all situations like this, it's like emergency status. The painful antsy feeling is like my warning signal that I must go off to do whatever or else I will just implode or something...
I get this. I can't think of a better word to describe it than "restlessness" but it's such a severe form of restlessness that the word clearly doesn't capture it. It's a physical sensation.. pressure...discomfort..eventually, even pain, and not easily remedied. Getting up and moving around seems to help only for as long as I'm in motion. And unfortunately, when this sensation is happening because I'm trying to work on something that involves sitting still, pacing around the apartment (or workplace, for that matter) isn't exactly a solution.

I haven't noticed it when trying to listen to what people are saying...typically it's when I'm by myself and attempting to focus entirely on a single task.
ADHDTigger (11-15-11), ByStarlight (11-15-11), Hyperman87 (11-15-11), Marzipan (11-15-11), QueensU_girl (11-15-11)
Old 11-15-11, 12:28 AM
ADDvanced Member

ByStarlight will become famous soon enough

I wish I could know why it happens. It's like the one thing that makes us an easy prey for distraction to steal mind and body.
The Following User Says Thank You to ByStarlight For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (11-15-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-11, 04:11 AM

Thanked 13,642 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

I have actively left the room when someone demands that I redirect when I can't. For me, the choice has been, vomit on their shoes or RUN.

What I have discovered is that I WILL move. I slip out of my shoes and play toe tapping games if that is all I can do.

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging your hyper side.

If I am pinned down too long, all h*ll is going to break loose. Period. Cheap garage sale china is my friend.

Starlight, I wish I knew the "why". I only know that you aren't alone.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
Old 11-15-11, 05:29 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,385 Times in 6,106 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Does being inattentive hurt - hell if I know but being expect to sit and not move does! I don't feel a pressure to me it is more like a burn

Copied from Not Einstein at all just ADD

I posted the below quote 5/12/2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
]I am still not sure the wording “feel the need to move” doesn’t convey enough emphasis of what is going on inside of wiggly wiggly wiggly meadd! I know I am thick skulled! Believe it or not I am trying to help ….. some things I do understand how it feels to be me is one of them!

I am not looking for validation, ,look at the hyper=pure impulsive ADDErs we make up the smallest percentage of our own group especially in places like this because so many are “broken” but not because they were born that way!

Now to emphasis the point I can’t seem to let go through metaphors. I aint as good as SB but will try!

To those who think I feel the need are you saying you understand my wiggles like this…. Imagine the below in the mind because it aint safe to really try this…

You light up the ole gas stove the flames touch just above the metal black thing……now keeping your hand parallel with the stove top (do not come from above you’ll screw it up) slide it steadily but not fast over the flame aprox 3 inches above the tip of the fire………………………………………………………………..

NOW when you jerked your hand back did ya move it because you felt like you had to or because it hurt??? There is a difference THUS MY point!

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (11-15-11), Hyperman87 (11-16-11)
Old 11-15-11, 06:43 PM

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I get that. If you are completely still when it happens try to move around a bit. Swaying from side to side or moving arms when talking might not be too annoying to the person talking to you.

I've got this little dance move called the impatience dance. It's more of a bounce without my feet leaving the ground but it works for me.
Old 11-15-11, 09:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

Marzipan has a spectacular aura aboutMarzipan has a spectacular aura about

I don't know about pain, per se, but I do get incredibly irritated when people interrupt me and don't get right to the point. I guess that's what happens when "fight" or "flight" aren't options. lol That's part of the reason why I can't see myself getting into a longterm relationship with someone who just wants to hang out all the time. I have a hard enough time sticking to my responsibilities on my own...I don't need help!

I'm like trishcan, it's much worse when I have to sit down and do something alone. I have honestly wasted 80% or more of my life time in the following manner:

1) Talk to someone and get really excited about x project while we're discussing it

2) Go home and sit down with the book for the project in question--or worse, in front of my computer--to get started

3) Take a look at the material, try to read a sentence or two, get EXTREMELY antsy

4) Tell myself I'll go to a forum or play a video game for a few minutes until I feel "in the zone"

5) Waste all of my "good" hours on something completely unproductive

6) Get started on the project around the time I'm supposed to go to bed, or later

7) Wake up in the morning sleep-deprived and spend the rest of the day tired and irritated

8) Tell myself that'll never happen again

9) Rinse and repeat

Last edited by Marzipan; 11-15-11 at 09:57 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marzipan For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (11-16-11), Hyperman87 (11-16-11)
Old 11-16-11, 01:08 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,313 Times in 639 Posts
Hyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant future

uh extreme physical restlessness that's so uncomfortable it's painful or makes you act pretty much foolish.Tonight after my Adderall XR wore off as I was going to the pharmacy to get more meds I ran across A busy city street on impluse and to relive my inner restlessness and I'm 24 and been on Adderall Ir and XR everyday since early this year.Also after I had already gotten my script from my doctors office I called them back and tried to get my Adderall scripts authorized through 2012 and it's not even December yet. So my ADHD is still causing trouble even with meds and I have side effects.