ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 03-23-10, 06:17 PM

mollycase is on a distinguished road
how long did it take to find the meds that worked for you? just feeling frustrated

so i was on Adderall, it worked great. i know the difference between the euphoric initial feeling and the just plain focused feeling.

the plain focused "wow this what be normal is" feeling lasted for a few weeks. it went away, i got anxious.

i was on the adderall for a little over 3 months. now we're trying vyvanase and honestly, i'm not really feeling like anything is really improving.

i'm still anxious, still have restless wandering distraction unfocused mind, but it's a LITTLE better.

i'm still taking zoloft.

i just hate all this trial and error. it drives me up a wall. i just want back that feeling of the "normal" that i had. i have even tried not taking the adderall for a weekend to see if that helped.

i just keep feeling like my old self before the meds, disorganized, way too introspective and living in my head, unfocused (unless i'm interested of course!), anxious, irritable.

i know that there are side effects of the meds, but hell, i'm just frustrated. how long did it take you to find something that worked? how did you know it worked? i knew it was working after the 2nd week when i no longer felt the weird euphoria, but still felt just, well, the chatter inside my head stopped, i could figure out, without agonizing effort, how to just freakin' put the clothes away, everything didn't seem overwhelming.
for the last few months, it's just been like nothing is better. i've been on lexapro before the ADD-I diagnosis and that really screwed me up. we're pretty sure it's not depression (my dr, therapist, and i)

i just want to know how long it took you, as an adult who had never been on meds before, to find something that worked and how that process went. i just need to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. people write so much about the awful on here (like i am now ha ha), but i need to know some positives.

thanks so much (check out my other posts if you want any more info on my issues).
Old 03-23-10, 07:14 PM
Contributor

pembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nice
Re: how long did it take to find the meds that worked for you? just feeling frustrate

It can be frustrating, I know.

Lots of people have to increase thei Adderall dose a couple times before finding something that will work long term. I started at 5mg IR, but after a couple months it just didn't work anymore. So I switched to 7.5mg and that worked for over a year.

Then it wasn't working as well, so I decided to try Vyvanse. It didn't really work for me at all (Everyone's different, though). So I took a week long drug holiday and was able to start back on the Adderall with great success (so far).

When you were taking adderall were you taking IR or XR? Brand name or generic?
Old 03-24-10, 07:04 PM

mollycase is on a distinguished road
Re: how long did it take to find the meds that worked for you? just feeling frustrate

hey pembliss - i just saw another post of yours where you said you walked home reading. that was TOTALLY me. i thought i was the only one who did that. i would get so bored and distracted walking that it seemed like i had FOREVER to get home. but reading would make it go by. i never tripped or stumbled or either (ok maybe once in a while, but i never fell).

first try 2008
january 2010
last week

and here i am again, ready to start bawling i'm so frustrated. it was feeling like this that landed me on zoloft about 6 weeks ago. i started crying in my dr's office!!

i just can't stop the chatter. no wonder i used to drink so much and hated pot. i am in no way an alcoholic but when i stopped drinking when i started zoloft (from what i read about it, it can have bad interactions with alcohol when you first start it) i realized i much i depended on a glass of wine or vodka tonic in the evening to SHUT UP THE CHATTER. and that's all it was, just one glass or one drink. (of course, years ago, i drank a lot more. ha.)

and since late december, i'm just getting the clarity i used to feel the first two times i started adderall. it's like i have a few days, maybe a week of decreasingly intense euphoria, then about two to three weeks of actual CALM in my head.

then it all goes to hell and it's like i'm taking nothing at all. i get ridiculously tired and distracted by everything, but hyperfocus and then flit here there and everywhere, doing 15 things at one.

i'm really trying to put into practice some of the things that i do when i've had those few weeks of normalcy, but it's SO hard. it's such a struggle. this is not about willpower.

it's like i end up with my body feeling like i'm on speed but my mind being like it always is. basically, instead of feeling like i will fall asleep on the drive home after work, i have that jet lagged feel of being both awake and asleep at the same time.

my heart doesn't race or anything. i'm not taking too much. i read everything i can about the drugs so i know what others have experienced and what to look out for.

i'm just so frustrated. my relaxing meditations and mood music i was listening don't even really work anymore (they did for all of 3 days, maybe) when i'm trying to get to sleep. when it was new and shiny, sure yeah, it was great, but now it's like my mind just tunes it out and thinks what it wants to. i can't relax because my mind is just going going going and to try to rein it in and be all meditative just doesn't work. i can't just imagine all my thoughts as bubbles that float away and all that. i have to concentrate so hard on not getting distracted by my mind that i end up just frustrated and angry and playing games or reading on the ipod touch until i can just finally pass out.

anyways, i could go on like this. i just can't escape my head.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-10, 07:31 PM
Contributor

pembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nice

The jet lagged feelingyou mentioned is what I felt like on Vyvanse. That's why I went back to adderall.

When you're taking adderall, do you take it everyday? Again, this doesn't work for everyone, but sometimes just taking a day off every week (or so) can help it remain effective.

But I definitely sympathize- a lot of what you're saying sounds like me.
My strategy for managing my emotions is to just continue tamping them down deeper into the glowing ball of white-hot rage at the center of my soul until one day.... SNAP! But until that day, eeeeeeeeeeeverything's fine.

If I seem normal to you, it's only because my undisciplined impulsivity is being counter-balanced by my crippling self-doubt.
Old 04-29-10, 03:01 PM

Wild will become famous soon enough

27 years. What finally worked for me was finding, with the help of my doctor, the right stimulant - alerting agent which for me turned out to be the old medicine coffee - caffeine. Coffee - caffeine - works for me for ADHD Inattentive a little (not a cure) and it works better than stronger stimulants such as Ritalin, Dexedrine, and Adderall. Good luck.
Old 05-09-10, 12:04 AM

CR721 will become famous soon enough

Since starting taking ADD medication again after about 13 years I have to start all over. I've been going to my doctor since January and I've been to the office every single month because the pills were weak or didn't work well. Going monthly isn't cheap but it's the price you pay to make a BIG difference in your life.
Old 05-09-10, 11:57 AM
ADDvanced Member

Spence's Mom has a spectacular aura aboutSpence's Mom has a spectacular aura about

I am new to the Dx and adderall...my script was 30 mgs to start...I was worried it was too high...took it anyway. It had no effect after 3 days. I increased yesterday to 45mgs...no change yet...I am on the IR and am thinking this might not be the help I need...I feel you pain. Before adderall he prescribed Ritalin...10 mgs. It was a total waste of my time. It is so hard when you want to get going and get on with the life you know you can have and can not get the right scripts to work. Hang in there...that is what I am doing...taking it one day at a time and trying to keep excitement to be the person I know I can be, to a minimum.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spence's Mom For This Useful Post:
markadd (05-09-10)
Old 05-09-10, 01:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

markadd is just really nicemarkadd is just really nicemarkadd is just really nicemarkadd is just really nice

I feel your frustration, I have been going through this process since january and still am searching for the right med. and dose. We all have to do something none of us are good at... be patiant. Hang in there.

Quote:
It is so hard when you want to get going and get on with the life you know you can have and can not get the right scripts to work. Hang in there...that is what I am doing...taking it one day at a time and trying to keep excitement to be the person I know I can be, to a minimum.
Spence's mom- Well put thats how i feel and what i am TRYING to do.
Old 05-11-10, 12:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,659 Times in 819 Posts
K-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence's Mom View Post
. Before adderall he prescribed Ritalin...10 mgs. It was a total waste of my time.

How was the rit a waste of your time? I started off on 40mg Vyvanse and was so calm, no anxiety and clearly thinking for the first time EVER but the side effects were killer (heart beating over 130bpm, completely lost appetite, huge sweat circles under my arms, sweaty palms, rapidly dehydrated, dips throughout the day in medication effectiveness etc). New psych started me off on 2.5mg Ritalin, i've titrated up to 5mg twice a day and am now trying out 7.5mg (third week). I feel more focused but don't have that clear headed, calm no anxiety feeling I had with vyvanse. I actually sometimes feel like I have more energy on the Ritalin. Heart beat is much better but there is a yucky crash at the end. Is that anything like you experienced?