ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 11-08-19, 03:53 PM

curiouskc1 is on a distinguished road
am i the only one?

My child has been on Focalin for several years. It hasn't always been easy to get him to take his medicine. I had a talk with him. He told me he doesn't like the way it makes him feel. He feels weird and yucky. He feels hungry but doesn't want to eat or food doesn't taste good. It makes him shaky and sometimes things look funny. After some thought I took one of his pills. I know they say it doesn't have the same effect if you don't have ADHD. I experienced everything he said he experienced. Does that mean I have adhd or does he not adhd? I will say I did not like the way it made me feel. I felt really gross most of the day. Has anyone else tried their kids meds to see what they could be experiencing? I feel a little cuckoo for doing it. He is still taking his meds. I haven't shared any of this to him either.
The Following User Says Thank You to curiouskc1 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (11-26-19)
Old 11-26-19, 04:48 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,115 Times in 15,360 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: am i the only one?

Welcome I see this is your first post and I apologize for not responding sooner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouskc1 View Post
After some thought I took one of his pills. I know they say it doesn't have the same effect if you don't have ADHD. I experienced everything he said he experienced. Does that mean I have adhd or does he not adhd?
Someone's reaction to stimulants is not an indicator of whether or not they have adhd. If you look at the way college campus's have people selling their adderall so someone can pull an all nighter- the medicine does help them with that all nighter but they do not have adhd. They are using it like a performance enhancer. My son was medicated very young- he was 4. He took meds from age 4-16. He had taken a break the summer before 10th grade and resumed his medicine a couple of weeks before school. He experienced what you describe and especially they way his mood changed. It worked for years and it seemed like something changed and he didnt want to take it anymore. i didnt force him to. He is 23 now. My middle daughter tried meds on and off from 4-8 grade and it gave her all sorts of side effects and we tried different ones. She didnt want to try anymore and is very adhd. My youngest daughter could never handle meds from day 1. I have been on either dexedrine or adderall for like 14 years and it works perfect however I tried ritalin(also known as methylphenidate which is in focalin) and it gave me terrible mood swings. We are all different.

Quote:
I will say I did not like the way it made me feel. I felt really gross most of the day. Has anyone else tried their kids meds to see what they could be experiencing? I feel a little cuckoo for doing it. He is still taking his meds. I haven't shared any of this to him either.
I am sure people have tried their kids meds but its a very touchy thing to do because a lot of people like the euphoria that comes along with it in the first few days and in some cases parents will take their kids meds. I understand why you tried them but in the end it really isnt advisable.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-26-19), stef (11-26-19)
Old 11-26-19, 07:33 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,262 Times in 2,958 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My child has been on Focalin for several years. It hasn't always been easy to get him to take his medicine. I had a talk with him. He told me he doesn't like the way it makes him feel. He feels weird and yucky. He feels hungry but doesn't want to eat or food doesn't taste good. It makes him shaky and sometimes things look funny. After some thought I took one of his pills. I know they say it doesn't have the same effect if you don't have ADHD. I experienced everything he said he experienced. Does that mean I have adhd or does he not adhd? I will say I did not like the way it made me feel. I felt really gross most of the day. Has anyone else tried their kids meds to see what they could be experiencing? I feel a little cuckoo for doing it. He is still taking his meds. I haven't shared any of this to him either.

My daughter was diagnosed first, then my son, then I.

Some kids just do not feel good on the medication. We tried to push medication at first-- but why would anyone do that for more than a few days?
If your children do not feel good on it, why force the to take anything that does not suit them?
I think that is a mistake, and it is seriously disrespectful.
Would you personally persist in taking something that made you feel bad?
Why?

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-26-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-19, 09:43 AM

Thanked 27,050 Times in 12,624 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few meds available for treating adhd now.
That's both good and bad.

It means your son may be able to find a different med that helps his symptoms
without so many unwanted side effects.

But it means he may need to try most or all of them to find the one that does
all that. Dosage can make a big difference as well.

I hope he might be willing to at least try another one or two before giving up
on any meds for adhd. And then I've seen posts from people who stopped
taking adhd meds as kids and then later on decided the added responsibilities
that come with adulting meant they wanted and needed to try meds again.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (11-26-19)
Old 11-26-19, 02:35 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light
I'm Sure No One Would Recommend Doing What OP Did...

Quote:
but I totally admire the open mindedness and empathy behind it! Whatever OP decides to do, his child is fortunate to have such a caring and sympathetic parent looking out for his interests.
Old 11-28-19, 01:30 AM

Thanked 6,262 Times in 2,958 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

As a further thought, these side effects are quite common on stimulants and predictable in terms of mechanism. Trying other medication is a good idea, as is tapering the dose down to find the threshold of side effects.

Just as a personal perspective I would not push medications that he was not happy with.
The positive effect of the medication can be reasonably subtle- and if his experience is more of side effects than positive effects the long term outcome will not be happy.

I dont see why anyone would take a medication that made them feel terrible all day- unless we are talking chemotherapy.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-28-19)
Old 11-28-19, 07:02 PM

Thanked 30,817 Times in 14,172 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like the way they make me feel either. The unpleasantness usually subsides with time though. If I take my meds regularly for a few months I can barely feel that I've taken anything (though still get the positive effects). The first few months are always hell though.

If he doesn't absolutely need them (and this is a side effect / benefit trade off that only you and him can figure out) I wouldn't push them.

Regarding your other point I think whatever effect they had on you doesn't mean anything. I'd imagine that most people feel an impact on focus and clarity and most people might
yfeel rather unpleasant on the first day irrespective of whether they have ADHD or not. How you feel and behave when you have not taken any stimulants is a much better indicator.