ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-08-12, 09:24 AM

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,485 Posts
Raye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond repute
ADD and ADA

Ok, not that I see one in my near future (lol) I was wondering if you should mention you have ADD during your interview or after you are hired?

Also, I know that employers can discriminate and not hire you if you mention you have a disability. No way to prove it though- it's not like they are going to admit it and have a lawsuit on their hands.

They could always say the position has been filled or you arent qualified.

Anyway around this?

"Oh Happy Day"
-Tmoney-
Old 06-11-12, 10:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

hjajck is on a distinguished road
Re: ADD and ADA

You can disclose a disability, but don't have to disclose the specific diagnosis. Keep in mind, that the employer has the right to send you for a "fit for duty" medical exam.

You could also get a letter from your doctor certifying that you have a disability, and also that you are considered "job-ready".
Raye (06-11-12)
Old 06-11-12, 11:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,938 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

I would never disclose adhd, at most I would disclose that I had a disability, once they know a diagnosis they can target your symptoms. They don't have a right to know.
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Raye (06-11-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-12, 11:48 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjajck View Post
You can disclose a disability, but don't have to disclose the specific diagnosis. Keep in mind, that the employer has the right to send you for a "fit for duty" medical exam.

You could also get a letter from your doctor certifying that you have a disability, and also that you are considered "job-ready".
I was wrong in making this statement. For a NEW employer, they cannot ask you to submit to a medical examination prior to the job offer. But, they can offer you a position, conditionally, based on the outcome of a post-offer medical exam. If the employer withdraws the job offer, they must show the reason is skill/job related.

For an EXISTING employer, they can, only if your disability interferes with your work.

http://www.ada.gov/qandaeng.htm
Raye (06-11-12)
Old 06-11-12, 02:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

my client's family knows about my ADHD, but that's because the son has it, as do the two grandkids that I deal with daily. I felt comfortable sharing that with them, and it comes up a LOT in convo (not about me, but about them). Other than that, no one knows. Not even my employer.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
Raye (06-11-12)
Old 06-11-12, 04:14 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,157 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

I am coming to the conclusion that the ADA is pretty much useless when it comes to AD(H)D. To make it work for you you would have to say "I can do the job as described -- if I am given this list of accommodations, for I have attention deficit disorder". I have my doubts about this strategy in anything less than a full employment scenario -- and a unionized workplace.
If you say that you can do the job as described thanks to medication then you are in the same position as someone with glasses. No further consideration is necessary. Good luck.

-- Oscar Wilde
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
Raye (06-11-12), Unmanagable (06-12-12)
Old 06-12-12, 09:11 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

JollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to all

I would not disclose it at the time of the interview.

The interview would be a good time for you to ask some questions about the duties and responsibilities of the job, however.

That way, if you are hired, you will have an idea ahead of time what will be expected of you. If you find yourself needing accommodation, it's already on the record with them instead of given in response when a problem arises.

Just my $.02.

Regardless of what other people say,
my tendency to overreact
and lose all perspective makes me a
theatrically interesting person.

The Following User Says Thank You to JollyBadger For This Useful Post:
Raye (06-14-12)
Old 06-12-12, 12:15 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,115 Times in 15,360 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I would never disclose it. You're f**ked either way.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Raye (06-14-12)
Old 06-13-12, 09:30 AM
ADDvanced Member

I wouldn't disclose at time of interview, unless you are applying for the job based on your disability. Some employers have a specific hiring authority for persons with disabilities. In that case, it would best (and is sometimes required) to have a letter from your doctor that certifies you are a person with a disability. However, the specific diagnosis is not required, and they should state that, in their medical opinion, are "job-ready" and able to perform the job with or without accommodations.

I have an example if you'd like one. Feel free to message me.

However, if already on the job, I wouldn't disclose at all, unless it is starting to interfere with your work. You can only blame the symptoms of ADHD on age (or anything else) for so long. Keeping in mind, that in that circumstance, you are opening yourself up for criticism and having to prove that your issues are, in fact, medically related.

Last edited by hjajck; 06-13-12 at 09:48 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to hjajck For This Useful Post:
Raye (06-14-12)
Old 06-13-12, 01:11 PM
Contributor

tortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nice

Disclosing ADD in the interview just seems like a reason for them not to hire you to me. Especially because most people either don't believe ADD exists, or have absolutely no clue what it actually is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortilaman For This Useful Post:
hjajck (06-14-12), Raye (06-14-12)
Old 06-14-12, 09:06 PM

hardiesl will become famous soon enough

My new employer knows I have ADHD, but only because there are certain medications you can't take while on duty. I asked before I signed the release for the pre-employment drug screen if there were any meds that would disqualify me from working for the company...my now boss pipes up with "I have ADHD, and am taking Adderall and it doesn't stop me from working here."... My heart about jumped out of my chest! I had finally found a kindred spirit!
But other than that kind of situation I wouldn't say anything...it's nobodies buisness but my own.
The Following User Says Thank You to hardiesl For This Useful Post:
Retromancer (06-14-12)