ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Focalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate)

Old 02-02-06, 11:31 PM

lilhurt38 is on a distinguished road
Focalin affecting my social life

I was diagnosed with ADD about two years ago and I still have not found a medication that works without giving me depression or anxiety. I have been prescribed Adderol, Focalin, Ritalin, Concerta, and Modafinil. All have given me depression or anxiety except Modafinil. Modafinil only made me feel more aware and awake and did not help with my concentration. I realized that it was not helping my concentration, so I decided to switch back to Focalin XR. I probably should have talked to my doctor about it, but i just thought that I was getting behind in school and i needed to get back onto some medication that works and I knew that Focalin works. Now I am noticing that I am getting anxiety with the Focalin again. Usually I am a very social person, but it seems like whenever I take my medication I start to keep to myself and I am really quiet. It is to the point where all I really do at school is concentrate on getting things done. It is good to get my work done, but I need to be able to get my work done and be social. I was just wondering what other people think about this. Is it just a part of the anxiety that I get from the medication? has anyone else been in a similar situation?
Old 02-04-06, 01:54 PM

hey123 is on a distinguished road
i was on focolin..and pretty much went suicidal..now im on adderal..

i hate all this kinna medicine.. it all sucks.. ugh
Old 02-04-06, 04:08 PM
Banned

steven d will become famous soon enough
Can you better define your anxiety? What are you anxious about? Examine yourself, do you notice any other things?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-06, 09:02 PM

booger is on a distinguished road
it's funny cause I have been trying to get back on stimulants because they made me more social, since I have quite marijuana I have been OBSESSED with getting back on Adderall, maybe I'm just an addict.
The Following User Says Thank You to booger For This Useful Post:
Naussicaa (05-10-10)
Old 02-09-06, 09:02 PM

Starwind is on a distinguished road
I get the same reaction to Focalin and many other medicines. It just doesn't work. For me all it does is cause side effects (I even get the rare ones!) and actually decrease my attention span. Medicine just doesn't work for me.
Old 03-20-10, 10:02 AM

Dan123456 is on a distinguished road
Re: Focalin affecting my social life

I just started taking Focalin XR about 4 days ago, and yeah its affected my social life greatly, before i started taking it i had so many friends and all of them thought i was albsolutely hilarious, this year i found out i have ADD(among other things) and now all my friends tell me im a completely different person. Ive also had panic attacks but they become less freqeunt everyday. But i can do alot bettter in school though so i geuss its worth it. The only other problems i have with it is when it wears off im really tired and hungry.
Old 03-21-10, 02:04 AM
Contributor

Scarletta has a spectacular aura aboutScarletta has a spectacular aura about

I have had success with several meds, Ritalin, Adderall, and Dexedrine, but ONLY the immediate release forms. Dexedrine Spansules, Concerta, Vyvanse, etc. gave me no therapeutic benefit and in fact gave me major side effects, like anxiety, palpitations, panic attacks, poor circulation, shakiness, etc.

But the IRs are completely different.

Provigil and Nuvigil both did nothing for me except kept me awake, kind of like I took a ton of Vivarin or drank 3 pots of coffee.

I do find that Adderall, especially, makes me want to read constantly (and I already was a total bookworm) and prefer not to really socialize, although I easily could. But it seemed that books, the internet, writing in my journal, etc was much more interesting than socializing.

I tend to think that whatever your personality leans toward, Adderall at least, will make it even more pronounced. Like, if you are a big housecleaner, Adderall will turn you into an obsessive one. (that's not me , LOL!) Whatever you like or are interested in, whether music, movies, internet, books, literature, or even socializing, whichever one you normally like the most, it will make it even more pronounced.

But if none of the meds work for you, perhaps you are not correctly diagnosed? Or maybe you would respond more to nutrition and herbs, or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Not everyone responds to ANY medicine. Heck, for some people aspirin doesn't even work for a headache.

The problem is the docs and pharmaceutical co's treating everyone alike, that any med will work for you, since it did for so and so.

We need a lot better diagnostics, better individualized (prob based on genetics) treatments, and especially, some decent drug companies instead of Teva and Ranboxy (sp?) that just have destroyed generic drugs by, I think, substituting crap fillers and inactive ingredients, the cheapest they can find,a nd reducing the inactive ingredient to the bare minimal requirements, and manufacturing the drugs overseas in India and elsewere, where God knows if standards are routinely met.

I am most of all sick because there has been such a marked downturn in quality of all ADD generics produced by Teva, especially (and others)- just to make a buck. And The big pharmas, like Shire, coming out with Vyvanse, and completely just tossing their Adderall to the wind, not caring that their original, superior product is now merely a shadow of its former self....it all comes down to money....

If they keep letting Teva take over the industry, it'd be a wonder if any of use would be able to find a medicine that works, even if we were previously responsive.

I HATE TEVA!
The Following User Says Thank You to Scarletta For This Useful Post:
Naussicaa (05-10-10)
Old 03-22-10, 09:13 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

booger,

yeah man. I doubt your an addict but you may worry because you don't feel in control and debate it in your mind on occasion but I doubt you are . I mean you don't stay up for days and weeks on a drug binge and when you do take adderall you don't take half your rx in a day and stay up for 3 days right? Those behaviors are what addicts par take in. Sounds like you are running low on confidence, and yes you shouldn't take adderall to make you more social. I'll tell you what if you have some sort of pre existing anxiety about speaking prior to taking meds maybe it's adhd related ( understimulated making you less confident and the fact that adderall clears your head you feel like you can speak normally ) well thats one thing, but don't rely on it to make you feel over-talkative , thats not the way to look at things. Maybe you should take your adhd meds properly and if you have comorbid generalized anxiety look into it ( cymbalta, pristiq , lexapro, intunive possibley) and then once your symptoms are in control and your feeling confident , maybe you should start educating yourself in communication and take classes....whatever it takes . Knowledge is power my friend, these other things like meds are the tools to help you overcome them.
Old 03-26-10, 01:11 AM

geogator is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
booger,

Maybe you should take your adhd meds properly and if you have comorbid generalized anxiety look into it ( cymbalta, pristiq , lexapro, intunive possibley) and then once your symptoms are in control and your feeling confident , maybe you should start educating yourself in communication and take classes....whatever it takes . Knowledge is power my friend, these other things like meds are the tools to help you overcome them.
Well said. In my case, the doc wanted to get the co-morbid depression & anxiety under control before really working too much on the ADHD meds. Knowledge about yourself, your symptoms and your diagnosis is critical to finding the right meds and other treatments that may be necessary (CBT, etc.) I also agree that the meds are simply the tools used to help you address getting a grip on your emotions, mood, etc. with some type of behavior therapy. They help to quiet your mind so you can concentrate on your emotions, what's driving them and what your body's physically telling you.
Old 03-26-10, 09:57 AM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

its like if you have anxiety daily then more than likely thats all you'll be focusing on and may times if your in the wrong environment there is not much you can do but worry about your symptoms of the physical manifestions of anxiety which are causing you to worry and self analyze , its a circular pattern and it will make your adhd worse . It will be just like a ferris wheel with the same pattern surfacing again and again. The good news is once you understand that and take a medication that is designed to help you understand this and minimize this problem things will get better. From that point you can increase your awareness and then use your mind to get you out of that situation and into another situation where you are thriving and doing well and eliminate those stressors that made your anxiety full blow every day. Generalized worry and anxiety driven by circular thought patterns is something that happens when you are unhappy my friends... Its normal and can happen to anybody that lands in a position they are not fulfilled with and it can have you chasing many ill fated theories and literally make you feel sick or atleast bring you to being a full blown hypochondriac... Do yourself a favor and take that pill when times like these suffice, they are made for a reason and with that knowledge after you come back to baseline adjust and make certain to put yourself back in your confidence zone. Don't let treatable problems run your life, I know I did for too long only because I shunned upon thinking anxiety was really running my life.Truth be told , anybody that does something habitually day in and day out that they cannot stand will succumb to negative thinking and negative thought patterns and it will destroy your good will as a person if nothing else, long term anxiety, negative self talk and destructive thoughts are proven to kill neurons in the brain , destroy ability to feel happiness and cause attention and anxiety problems. Do yourself a favor and in use the science available when you have tried all else. Don't ruminate over celebrities or local or national news they have to sell stories and all the success and positive stories that these meds do for people don't sell , too bad because it discourages the general public and prevents alot of people from getting out of bad spots in life and helping themself when needed.
Old 04-22-10, 03:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

willinabox is on a distinguished road

I take a reallly, really small dose and also take an ssri for the anxiety....seems to work okkk
Old 04-23-10, 09:50 PM

No sedation with the ssri? Which ssri, my doc is promoting intuniv for worry
Old 05-10-10, 07:14 AM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

From my experience, stimulants in general might increase agitation and social withdrawal as a result of focusing on tasks and having less enjoyment in social interaction because of finding no benefit to socializing. but with time i kinda figured this out and forced my self to have balance between work and play.

one funny finding by actual study of ritalin type stimulants vs d-amp (dexedrine) on rats.

that compared to control group (base line).ritalin type meds increased biting and less time spent in common area (where rats are allowed to mingle). It also decreased sniffing of other rats

sniffing of other rats is a sign of (socializing, exploring, less fear of other rats and treat them more like friends than hostile enemies, less inhibition). bit might put them in danger because they would not run away from cats.

on the other hand. Dexedrine increased sniffing and decreased biting compare to control group treated with saline water (placebo)

hope that makes sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Josh_kelly For This Useful Post:
StoicNate (05-10-10)
Old 05-10-10, 08:54 PM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

here is the study

I did not know what gnawing mean : biting

Stereotyped behavior: effects of d-amphetamine and methylphenidate in the young rat.Abstract

The proclivity of d-amphetamine and methylphenidate to induce perseverative motoric and vocal side effects detracts from the clinical efficacy of these stimulants in the treatment of Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). In an attempt to develop a model for these deleterious treatment effects, this study explored the behavioral influences exerted by d-amphetamine and methylphenidate in the young laboratory rat.

This experiment revealed that doses of these stimulants that typically induce stereotypy provoke diverging behavioral profiles: while animals given 5 mg/kg d-amphetamine exhibited repetitive sniffing activity, rats treated with 30 mg/kg methyl-phenidate displayed perseverative gnawing behaviors. Although pretreatment with the serotonin synthesis inhibitor p-chlorophenylalanine (PCPA) significantly attenuated both stimulant-induced stereotypies, the effect of PCPA on d-amphetamine-induced sniffing was more profound than on methylphenidate-induced gnawing. High-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) analysis of monoamine levels in the striatum, frontal cortex, and thalamus indicated that PCPA induced an overall 89% depletion of serotonin across all conditions.

These findings shed some light on the neurochemical mechanisms that underlie the differential effects of d-amphetamine and methylphenidate on stereotyped motor activity in the rat, and suggest future experiments for understanding the role of serotonin in such effects.

Further, these results have implications for the differential side effects observed from each of these stimulants when used clinically in children with ADHD.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9408219
StoicNate (05-10-10)
Old 05-10-10, 08:58 PM

another study with same findings

Differential effects of methylphenidate and d-amphetamine on stereotyped behavior in the rat.

Pechnick R, Janowsky DS, Judd L.
Abstract

Different equimolar doses of d-amphetamine and methylphenidate were compared for their potency in eliciting stereotyped behavior in rats. Although at lower doses d-amphetamine appeared more effective in causing stereotyped gnawing, repetitive body movements, and sniffing, at higher doses methylphenidate at certain times caused a greater incidence of gnawing than did d-amphetamine. Understanding these differences and comparing related biochemical correlates may lead to a better definition of mechanisms underlying psychostimulant effects.
StoicNate (05-10-10)