ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-20, 02:36 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,377 Times in 15,474 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
"Wellness" the snake oil we sell ourselves.

I thought this was a good article. I cant tell you how many times I have had people give me wellness advice and try to pitch vitamins, teas, retreats, etc to me as a way to either solve my problems, cure myself and promote "healing" through positive thinking, juice cleanses, fasting and reading such-and-such's new book. I have fallen prey to them years ago before I was medicated. The last few "instagram" years it has exploded. All of a sudden there are wellness "experts" all over the place.(what degree do you get to be a wellness expert?") Naturopaths, Homeopathic this and that.. but all they did was keep me from seeking help. In fact I felt worse because according to the "experts" I wasn't doing/buying/trying it right. These people bash the medical world and dole out their own treatments. And if it doesnt work its your fault. Dont be fooled. As fast as an expert can say that "Big Pharma" is controlling everything I can easily prove that "Big Vitamin" is just as nefarious. Anyway it was a good article.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/depre...b6fc009a5dd6c8

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
BouCoupDinkyDau (09-14-20), Lunacie (09-24-20), midnightstar (08-15-20)
Old 09-14-20, 08:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,869 Times in 1,413 Posts
BouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Wellness" the snake oil we sell ourselves.

Thanks for the link. I'll read it when I get a chance.

I agree that the naturalistic "think positive" industry is just as much an industry as anything else.

"Follow the money," my teacher used to tell me. "It's always about the money." (the great motivator)
Rebelyell (09-20-20), sarahsweets (09-17-20)
Old 09-24-20, 08:21 AM
Jr Member

jmilly is on a distinguished road

That is a good read sarahsweets. I hope you've found your way through your ordeal.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-20, 11:08 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,830 Times in 12,926 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

There are some issues that nothing can cure.

There are only treatments of some kind or another.

Neurological disorders are not curable - at this time.

This includes adhd, autism, bipolar - and migraines.

And the pharmaceutical industry is just as busy putting out new meds to
treat migraine disorder as all the snake oil products flooding our inboxes.

I see desperate, chronically ill people trying one after the other.
Some don't work at all, some have side effects that can kill you.
Some work for a time and then . . . just . . . stop working.

I take OTC meds to treat my bad migraines, and try not to take them more
than twice a week. I won't try anything new again after the topamax nearly
killed me by causing kidney failure. And the antibiotic I was given to treat
kidney failure caused my blood pressure to drop so low even the paramedics
couldn't get a reading.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me