ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 09-14-20, 05:05 PM
Jr Member

brightnebula is on a distinguished road
Anxiety after eating

I've been on Ritalin for about 2 weeks now. 1 of 3 times I'm experiencing bad anxiety (pre-panic attack levels) nearly all at work. I'm trying to figure out the cause so I'll lay it out here :

Me : 45, 250lbs, sitting all day, no exercise, I spoke about 12 cigs a day at work. about 1 a day at home.
Dosage: I was prescribed 10mg, but have been breaking them into quarters (2.5mg) because I'm hypersensitive. Going to ask for 5mg and take 1/2.

I tried Ritalin XR and Concerta XR 27mg I couldn't deal with those pills, way too strong. Ritalin has been good when it doesn't cause anxiety.

Here are some obvious differences from weekend vs weekday (at office):

1. I eat 2 hrs before I take meds on weekend, I eat 2 hrs after i take the meds during the weekdays
2. I don't even smoke until mid-day on the weekend whereas weekdays I have 2 before I take the pill and 2 after leading up to anxiety.
3. I'll drink 1/2 of a cup of half-caff coffee on weekend vs 1.5 cups of half-caff on the weekdays

Anyone else in this predicament? The solution seems obvious to me, I should try cutting out coffee or just have a little bit, I should give up smoking in the morning and maybe have breakfast.

Another thought, If it's not the food, maybe I need to take breaks between taking the pills, I do feel that it's still in my system from the day before, not sure I need to take it every day.

Any thoughts? Anyone with similar experience?
Old 09-15-20, 07:19 AM
ADDvanced Member

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Anxiety after eating

What type of anxiety do you mean? Did doctor suggested you to take 2.5 mg? Have you ever tried any other medicine?.
Started with ritalin (worked only for two weeks)
Also tried wellbutrin and strattera
Now: ritalin and medikinet
For about three years local corticosteroid pomades for atopic dermatitis.
Old 09-15-20, 07:21 AM
ADDvanced Member

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road

What type of anxiety do you mean? Did doctor suggested you to take 2.5 mg? Have you ever tried any other medicine?
Started with ritalin (worked only for two weeks)
Also tried wellbutrin and strattera
Now: ritalin and medikinet
For about three years local corticosteroid pomades for atopic dermatitis.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-20, 05:21 PM
Jr Member

brightnebula is on a distinguished road

I used to have major panic attacks in my early 20's, took xanax .25 for those for 10 years, then I had my last attack in 2008 after reading a book / program. Still had general anxiety session (pins and needles, can't catch my breath, etc.) took xanax to stop those. Then in 2016 I tried Straterra and while it worked for 3 months, I stopped 6 months after starting, as it I had some very freaky issues when I didn't take it for a day or two. Told dr I didn't want it anymore.

He wanted to put me on wellbutrin, however I decided no-pills and only would take xanax maybe once a month from there. So Straterra fixed my daily use of xanax.

Come 2 years ago i decided to try something for my ADHD, triex Ritalin xr 10mg, way too strong, then was on 18mg of Concerta which was good on most days but like now I would have high anxiety (pins and needles and nerviousness) on some days. Stopped that after a month.

Now on Ritalin 10mg 2x a day but only take 2.5 or 5mg once a day. Due to anxiety I have to take a day or 2 off.

When it works and no anxiety exists, it's great, i get stuff done and am focused. I have my next appt in a few week's time.