ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 04-21-13, 07:25 AM

TerephthalicPte is on a distinguished road
Taking Vyvanse to sleep

A lot of the reason why I have insomnia off of amphetamines was because my internal thoughts continual raced through my head. I've noticed when I take it in the morning I can actually sleep way better due to the clearing of my head.

If I have nothing notable to do in the morning (for example on a weekend) then sometimes I'll just fall back to sleep for a few hours after the Vyvanse kicks in.

Does anyone have any experience taking a low dose (say 20mg) of Vyvanse at night to help get to sleep. I know it's kind of an odd thing to say, taking an amphetamine to help sleep, but I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience and whatnot.

Also what could the possible ramifications be? Does it interfere with REM sleep? Would my body not rest as well as it should? Etc.

Also I'm on 40mg of Vyvanse, but I'm going to ask to be upped to 50mg here my next Pdoc visit.

As always I appreciate any and all responses.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-13, 07:38 AM
ADDvanced Member

fperkins33 is a glorious beacon of lightfperkins33 is a glorious beacon of lightfperkins33 is a glorious beacon of lightfperkins33 is a glorious beacon of lightfperkins33 is a glorious beacon of lightfperkins33 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Taking Vyvanse to sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerephthalicPte View Post
A lot of the reason why I have insomnia off of amphetamines was because my internal thoughts continual raced through my head. I've noticed when I take it in the morning I can actually sleep way better due to the clearing of my head.

If I have nothing notable to do in the morning (for example on a weekend) then sometimes I'll just fall back to sleep for a few hours after the Vyvanse kicks in.

Does anyone have any experience taking a low dose (say 20mg) of Vyvanse at night to help get to sleep. I know it's kind of an odd thing to say, taking an amphetamine to help sleep, but I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience and whatnot.

Also what could the possible ramifications be? Does it interfere with REM sleep? Would my body not rest as well as it should? Etc.

Also I'm on 40mg of Vyvanse, but I'm going to ask to be upped to 50mg here my next Pdoc visit.

As always I appreciate any and all responses.

Thanks.
No personal experience with this but my initial pdoc had discussed the possibility of an amphetamine dose prior to sleeping because of my sleep deprivation. They had some experience with others benefiting from it, although I didn't think about asking about quality of sleep. So it's not unheard of but I'd be interested to know what your pdoc thinks.

Caffeine at night can make me fall asleep almost instantly which was weird as an undergrad because I'd be like, whaat?

Old 04-21-13, 08:41 PM

lk44 will become famous soon enough

Look into dexedrine, or d-amphetamine instant release. It does the same thing and doesn't last as long. If you took Vyvanse at 10pm, you'd feel the effects at 10am for sure to some degree.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-13, 06:56 AM

Mac181 is on a distinguished road

I'd considered taking a small dose of Dex IR before bed to help shut the brain up, but I'd rather try other non-stimulant medication first. In theory it could work, though it could just as easily backfire and worsen insomnia.
Old 04-22-13, 07:41 PM

TerephthalicPte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac181 View Post
I'd considered taking a small dose of Dex IR before bed to help shut the brain up, but I'd rather try other non-stimulant medication first. In theory it could work, though it could just as easily backfire and worsen insomnia.
Yeah that's pretty much what I'm afraid of. I don't want to go on a benzo and I've already tried pretty much all OTC sleep aids.

Just thought I'd see if anyone has tried it since it seems to kind of make me more sleepy in the morning due to lack of that terrible racing internal thought we all struggle with.
Old 01-15-20, 08:09 AM

Hennessy is on a distinguished road

sometimes, despite taking a bunch of benzos to combat the adhd insomnia a dose of dex will actually settle me the most ( i am on high doses of vyvanes and dex).
Old 09-13-20, 06:44 AM

8doobies is on a distinguished road

Adderall below 10mg hits me like a train. Will knock me out as I will struggle to stay away for a few hours after taking it. If I sleep on it, I usually will sleep for a few hours. It will start working well after a rest.