ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 05-28-18, 07:14 PM
Jr Member

user has disabled reputation
Vyvanse to Focalin?

Hi guys,
Iíd love some insight on this....so, long story short, Iíve been on amphetamine-based meds for about 12 years (yikes!): adderall, then adderall XR; then Vyvanse 70 mg + 20 mg Dexedrine Immediate Release booster for the past 6 years. I also have anxiety and took lexapro for about a year but recently stopped due to side effects . Iím concerned about tolerance and neurotoxicity from being on amphetamines for soooo long , plus Iím dependent on it. I know that the logical thing would be to stop taking it, but Iím not ready to quit yet (I am 37, I have 3 kidsó2 with disabilities, and itís a lot of work with scheduling their therapies , etc., not to mention how negative and impatient I can get without meds).

Anyway, Iíve done some research and apparently focalin is the least neurotoxic and least habit-forming stimulant ódoes anyone know if this is true? Ive also Iíve taken methylphenidate-based medication a few times in college (Concerta, Ritalin)and I remember it didnít do much. And that was before I even had a tolerance! But Iím hoping maybe focalin would be different ? Would it be effective , or is it that much less powerful than dextroamphetamine ?
Old 05-29-18, 07:17 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Vyvanse to Focalin?

Focalin is simply the dextro (right handed) version of methylphenidate (left + right hand) version. The left hand version of methylphenidate gets filtered out of your system pretty much right right away, and probably doesn't ever even reach your brain.

So since methyphenidate didn't do much for you in college, I wouldn't have too high of hopes for Focalin. But you might as well try it!

What makes you so sure that medically prescribed amphetamines are neurotoxic? Those studies use dosages that are ridiculously high. Like they'll give a rat 10 mg/day, which would be the weight-adjusted equivalent of 2,000 mg/day for a human.

If you don't want to take the meds anymore, maybe you could try taking mini-breaks from them on days that you're less busy?