ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-17, 05:51 AM
Jr Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road
Spacing out in public

Is is common for those on the spectrum to completely 'space out' in environments such as supermarkets, bars and cafes?

Earlier this morning, I ordered a chilled Americano from Costa Coffee. Whilst waiting for my beverage to be prepared, I found myself completely overwhelmed by how many different sounds I was exposed to. Consequently, my brain kind of switched off, and it wasn't until a few minutes after I had left the cafe that I felt cognisant again.

Is this sensory abnormality a symptom of autism or ADHD?

At present, I only have a formal diagnosis of HFA but I do suspect I have severely inattentive ADD/ADHD too as I am unbelievably passive and lackadaisical.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barbrady1 For This Useful Post:
stef (07-19-17)
Old 07-19-17, 05:15 AM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,988 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Spacing out in public

Simply, yes..... I think it's a REALLY common trait.... ( search up on disassociation )....

While i've done this heavily my whole life....... I only became aware of it past 30 when I started getting treated...... now I'm aware I do it...... it's kinda weird cause it has led to some anxieties cause often it's a physical response...... but since treatment, it can easily be seen as a social/anxious thing.......

Comes down to knowing yourself, and having some coping mechanisms if need be....... For me, this mostly means that I need to do "thinking" things in quiet places.
~ SB_UK ~
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to someothertime For This Useful Post:
kwalk (08-14-17), Little Missy (07-19-17), stef (07-19-17)
Old 07-19-17, 05:23 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 25,488 Times in 12,520 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

This happens to me nearly every day!
once i am seated and I know i have a certain time frame for coffee, lunch, whatever - i enjoy the "zoning out", it's a kind of a break, just being absorbed in the environment and letting my mind wander as it likes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
kwalk (08-14-17), Little Missy (07-19-17), someothertime (07-19-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-17, 06:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,323 Times in 12,768 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean on the autism spectrum or is adhd a part of that too?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 07-20-17, 01:32 AM
Jr Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Do you mean on the autism spectrum or is adhd a part of that too?
I was trying to ascertain if it is autism-related or an indication of ADHD.

By the sounds of it, it's a sensory sensitivity that leaves me feeling overwhelmed, thereby causing a 'blank mind'.
Old 07-22-17, 01:08 AM
Contributor

PoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nice

Do you just space out in situations where you experience a kind of sensory overload or can this also be triggered by other things like boredom? For example, when I get dragged along to go shopping with someone (grocery shopping, clothes shopping, etc.), I often kind of zone out or space out which can be really annoying to the person I'm with. But I think it's triggered more by boredom than sensory sensitivity.

When I was growing up, I used to get dragged along with my mother when she went shopping which I hated and found very boring. I probably spaced out a lot then, too.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)

Dx: AD/HD-PI
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (07-22-17)
Old 08-05-17, 08:29 PM
Jr Member

Hutchie0109 is on a distinguished road

It's a regular thing for me, a problem when I need to function, have no control over my response and sound childish when I lose it, or miss information, just can't function, horrible when I need to function and can't. Could it be both autism and Adhd? It to me is overload/sensory problem. Memories of college courses where tutors have pushed me when I've already pushed myself 'just do a bit more' why I've never completed a course or got any qualifications, just taken for stupid.

Last edited by Hutchie0109; 08-05-17 at 08:40 PM..
Old 08-07-17, 12:00 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by someothertime View Post
Simply, yes..... I think it's a REALLY common trait.... ( search up on disassociation )....

While i've done this heavily my whole life....... I only became aware of it past 30 when I started getting treated...... now I'm aware I do it...... it's kinda weird cause it has led to some anxieties cause often it's a physical response...... but since treatment, it can easily be seen as a social/anxious thing.......

Comes down to knowing yourself, and having some coping mechanisms if need be....... For me, this mostly means that I need to do "thinking" things in quiet places.
I also identify as ADD (profoundly inattentive) and Asperger's. If I understand your description correctly, I'm having this happen very often lately and it's getting worse and worse with age (in my 30's.)

I describe it as a feeling where I'm thinking about something and notice at some point I don't feel connected to my surroundings. Sometimes when it's bad enough, I lose complete track of where I am in space, even if I am walking literally 3 blocks away from home.. although it takes only a moment to correct the situation fully, it is jarring and "creepy" to have this happen. It's like things are "unreal" or I am not exactly present.

A related sensation, which also appears to have disassociative features, is just a feeling of being "empty-headed", where I simply cannot attend fully to any given situation and that's that; my brain made the choice for me. I don't feel fully present at these times either. I am either "on" or I am "off" and this "off" mode is happening more often. I'm almost worried it's like some kind of cognitive impairment happening prematurely. Oy Vey.
The Following User Says Thank You to Batman55 For This Useful Post:
stef (08-08-17)
Old 08-08-17, 08:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,894 Times in 7,981 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know but spacing out is very ADHD, probably overlaps with autism symptoms. Guilty as charged.
Old 08-08-17, 11:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
I don't know but spacing out is very ADHD, probably overlaps with autism symptoms. Guilty as charged.
Interesting that so many of you share the sensation.

Can you relate to what I described? Do you experience any "spatial confusion," or like you don't feel integrated in space? I think the former may be related to an innate deficit (I'm horrendous with directions or knowing how to get anywhere) but the latter seems to be more "dissociative" to me. It all sucks, though.