ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-28-17, 02:28 PM
BricksAreHeavy BricksAreHeavy is offline
Member
 

Join Date: May 2017
Location: The Deep South, USA
Posts: 29
Thanks: 70
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
BricksAreHeavy is on a distinguished road
ADHD Anger

Hey there - I am diagnosed with ADHD and Borderline personality disorder but currently only being treated for BPD with a myriad of antidepressants.

I am posting this because I just experienced another quick burst of anger, which resulted in screaming, slamming doors, and throwing a heavy object at said door. This was because 1) I lost $200 because I forgot to call this place 2) had difficulty figuring out how to place a different order, I didn't know where to start or how long this would take. Also (3), I began to think about how I am already behind in school, and need to take classes to graduate without being years behind, but know that I am going to have to overcompensate so much and will probably quit halfway through the course.

This burst of anger only lasted 1-2 minutes.

My question for you all is if this seems like ADHD related anger. When I was taking vyvanse (I have been off of it for 1.5 years), this sort of situational anger was rare. I was actually able to eliminate a lot of what I see as ADHD anger through medication and was able to then focus on really getting to the root and dealing with my BPD outbursts (almost exclusively in romantic relationships).

Basically I feel that it is important for my psych to work with me and separate some of my ADHD anger and BPD anger. 1) because my BPD anger is very much related to the emotional turmoil that is my brain when in a relationship compared to very reactive anger with ADHD and 2) I have previously found kind of through a happy mistake that the vyvanse treated much of what I thought was only anger from BPD before. I really think it helped with my impulsivity.

Please feel free to add onto this or explain why my reasoning might be wrong or share any related experiences.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-28-17, 03:48 PM
mrh235 mrh235 is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 347
Thanks: 347
Thanked 209 Times in 129 Posts
mrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to all
Re: ADHD Anger

It is definitely what you say. Poor emotional regulation is a massive part of my ADHD and ADHD isnít just getting distracted sucked into the most pointless uncontrollable distractions for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON EVEN WHEN I HAVE NO REASON TO BE INTERESTED IN THEM. Itís being quick to anger impulsively or be frustrated or over the dumbest BS. Lots of poorly informed people would say thatís bipolar disorder or a mood disorder, but itís not. Look at how easy it is to get sucked into the dumbest distractions, getting sucked into anger quickly isnít much different.

Being properly diagnosed with ADHD and medicated, granted me so much clarity and absolutely removed this from my life. It's astonishing how balanced my mood is now.

I feel like a lot of ADHDers are misdiagnosed because docs don't read between the lines. Your post really helped me put this together today, thank you.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrh235 For This Useful Post:
BricksAreHeavy (05-28-17)
  #3  
Old 05-28-17, 05:04 PM
BricksAreHeavy BricksAreHeavy is offline
Member
 

Join Date: May 2017
Location: The Deep South, USA
Posts: 29
Thanks: 70
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
BricksAreHeavy is on a distinguished road
Re: ADHD Anger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh235 View Post
It is definitely what you say. Poor emotional regulation is a massive part of my ADHD and ADHD isnít just getting distracted sucked into the most pointless uncontrollable distractions for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON EVEN WHEN I HAVE NO REASON TO BE INTERESTED IN THEM. Itís being quick to anger impulsively or be frustrated or over the dumbest BS. Lots of poorly informed people would say thatís bipolar disorder or a mood disorder, but itís not. Look at how easy it is to get sucked into the dumbest distractions, getting sucked into anger quickly isnít much different.

Being properly diagnosed with ADHD and medicated, granted me so much clarity and absolutely removed this from my life. It's astonishing how balanced my mood is now.

I feel like a lot of ADHDers are misdiagnosed because docs don't read between the lines. Your post really helped me put this together today, thank you.
Thanks for the reply and I'm glad this sorted things out a bit for you.

Yes, so easy to get sucked into anger. It's 0 - 100, but pretty short lasting. The amount of misdiagnoses or missed co-morbidities people on this site have experienced is quite alarming. I truly wonder how much quicker symptoms could have been alleviated and proper emotional and coping skills could have been employed.

Right now my relationship with my mother is strained because I fly off the handle at the smallest things, and fly off the handle at her. She loves me and always forgives me, but I long for the time when I was on medication and employing my skills learned in therapy that allowed for a more pleasant relationship with her.

You're right about docs not being able to read between the lines. I am going to be up front with my pdoc and tell her that I want to go back to my treatment of lexapro and vyvanse I was under with another doctor.

I feel so much guilt after these outbursts of anger, and honestly rightfully so because I feel that untreated ADHD anger/rage can be really awful for the people who are around it.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 05-28-17, 05:40 PM
dvdnvwls dvdnvwls is offline
Mr. BllVt
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Anywhere I can
Posts: 14,917
Thanks: 1,278
Thanked 17,943 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD Anger

Rage, anger, and over-intense reactions to things are also official symptoms of BPD. When you have both BPD and ADHD, there's no way to tell which condition (or both) made you more angry than an average person would have been.

And it doesn't matter, because you need to handle the anger situation the same way regardless.
__________________
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
BricksAreHeavy (05-28-17)
  #5  
Old 05-28-17, 05:50 PM
mildadhd mildadhd is online now
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
Posts: 10,745
Thanks: 1,163
Thanked 773 Times in 577 Posts
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD Anger

ADHD medication helps stimulate our slightly underdeveloped higher self regulation systems that inhibit RAGE/anger.

The similarities between ADHD and bipolar are no coincidence, the similarities are due to the same and interconnected emotional brain systems, and differences are partly due to issues at different processing levels of brain control.




m
__________________
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
BricksAreHeavy (05-28-17)
  #6  
Old 05-28-17, 06:10 PM
BricksAreHeavy BricksAreHeavy is offline
Member
 

Join Date: May 2017
Location: The Deep South, USA
Posts: 29
Thanks: 70
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
BricksAreHeavy is on a distinguished road
Re: ADHD Anger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Rage, anger, and over-intense reactions to things are also official symptoms of BPD. When you have both BPD and ADHD, there's no way to tell which condition (or both) made you more angry than an average person would have been.

And it doesn't matter, because you need to handle the anger situation the same way regardless.
This is true, either way the anger needs to be dealt with despite which diagnosis it could be attributed to.

I'm concerned about medication management at the moment and what has helped me in the past, so sometimes dissecting it can make things clearer.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-28-17, 08:00 PM
l_ruth_ l_ruth_ is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: May 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 24
Thanks: 50
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
l_ruth_ has disabled reputation
Re: ADHD Anger

@BricksAreHeavy in language about autism spectrum disorder we talk about "meltdowns" - maybe this is used in language about other conditions as well.

Also I think experience of a meltdown could be similar between conditions - I guess I'm just mentioning this in case the terminology could help you find useful information from other sources, in case they use this terminology. Hope this helps
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to l_ruth_ For This Useful Post:
BricksAreHeavy (05-28-17), mildadhd (05-28-17)
  #8  
Old 05-28-17, 08:30 PM
mildadhd mildadhd is online now
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
Posts: 10,745
Thanks: 1,163
Thanked 773 Times in 577 Posts
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD Anger

I experience to much quick snappy irritability when I took 10 mg (IR) methylphenidate as it wore off, so my doctor changed me to 20 mg (SR) methylphenidate and that really helped.

My layman understanding is that the stronger/quicker to "work" 10 mg (IR) (quicker to ware off) sensitized my SEEKING/enthusiasm and/or my RAGE/anger system, making these systems more sensitive to experiences, as/after the substances wore off?

I still feel those side effects but much less, and more time to respond "more appropriately" to experiences, over a longer period of time, when I take the 20 mg (SR).

I seem to have more time to control myself and less quick to anger.

20 mg (SR) does not seem as strong and I struggle more to focus when reading, than the 10 mg (IR) but I think it is better to be less productive, than get to "snappy".

Edit (recent gifts/discovery of audiobooks has helped me with my struggle to focus when reading)

(take my post with a grain of salt, I do not like discussing personal medication issues to much on the forums, I do not have any experience with bi polar medication, I could be wrong but I do not notice anyone with bi polar taking the same medication I take, but I thought I would post my experiences in regard to secondary meltdown, anger, irritable experiences, because the changes in medication really helped me in general)


m
__________________
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I

Last edited by mildadhd; 05-28-17 at 08:51 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
BricksAreHeavy (05-28-17)
  #9  
Old 05-28-17, 09:29 PM
peripatetic peripatetic is offline
 
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: .
Posts: 19,726
Blog Entries: 12
Thanks: 31,593
Thanked 30,087 Times in 13,490 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD Anger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BricksAreHeavy View Post
quick burst of anger, which resulted in screaming, slamming doors, and throwing a heavy object at said door
i've had problems with impulsivity and certainly had bursts of anger, but this is further than i'd go/have gone with the screaming, slamming and throwing heavy object.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-28-17, 09:43 PM
BricksAreHeavy BricksAreHeavy is offline
Member
 

Join Date: May 2017
Location: The Deep South, USA
Posts: 29
Thanks: 70
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
BricksAreHeavy is on a distinguished road
Re: ADHD Anger

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_ruth_ View Post
@BricksAreHeavy in language about autism spectrum disorder we talk about "meltdowns" - maybe this is used in language about other conditions as well.

Also I think experience of a meltdown could be similar between conditions - I guess I'm just mentioning this in case the terminology could help you find useful information from other sources, in case they use this terminology. Hope this helps
Thank you for this suggestion. I just spent some time reading about adhd "meltdowns" and this very much reminds me of when (primarily when I was younger) I would get stuck. I would get so stuck and unable to do anything else, primarily when I there was too much stimulation or some sort of sensory overload.

I would say though that I experience bouts of anger more than meltdowns as an adult.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BricksAreHeavy For This Useful Post:
l_ruth_ (05-28-17)
  #11  
Old 05-28-17, 09:46 PM
BricksAreHeavy BricksAreHeavy is offline
Member
 

Join Date: May 2017
Location: The Deep South, USA
Posts: 29
Thanks: 70
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
BricksAreHeavy is on a distinguished road
Re: ADHD Anger

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
i've had problems with impulsivity and certainly had bursts of anger, but this is further than i'd go/have gone with the screaming, slamming and throwing heavy object.
Do you mean that you haven't experienced any outward, physical anger and that for you it's internal?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-28-17, 09:53 PM
peripatetic peripatetic is offline
 
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: .
Posts: 19,726
Blog Entries: 12
Thanks: 31,593
Thanked 30,087 Times in 13,490 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD Anger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BricksAreHeavy View Post
Do you mean that you haven't experienced any outward, physical anger and that for you it's internal?
that's a good question. i have to think on it, but i would say that, off the top of my head, though i'm a physical person insofar as i'm a runner, i'm not very physical in how i express my emotions unless i'm pretty unwell. and that's not adhd related.

when i get angry, i might rant a bit, but i wouldn't slam doors and such.

it's complicated, though, and hard for me to say at the moment because my affect is flat as a board right now. however, as a kid i remember getting really frustrated and i'd talk a lot of trash, but physically breaking things or slamming things, even then, i can't imagine it.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
BricksAreHeavy (05-28-17)
  #13  
Old 05-29-17, 06:52 AM
kilted_scotsman kilted_scotsman is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 3,972
Thanks: 91
Thanked 5,946 Times in 2,461 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD Anger

It is also worth looking at the concept of "emotional flashback" also called "rubber-banding", where the emotion experienced in the present is inappropriate to the situation, but is associated with past situations.

This produces "ego-dystonic" emotion and behaviour which is where one says/thinks.... I don't know why I did that.

Emotional flashbacks are hard things to deal with until there's an Understanding of the process and a healing/integration of the past environment that generated the emotion. You won't get this from meds, however they can reduce symptoms in order to explore the processes in other ways.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
BricksAreHeavy (05-29-17)
  #14  
Old 05-30-17, 04:04 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 24,097
Thanks: 5,514
Thanked 28,327 Times in 12,770 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD Anger

The other thing about this type of anger is that it can be scary. Both for the person on the receiving end and the person experiencing the anger.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
BricksAreHeavy (05-30-17)
  #15  
Old 05-30-17, 02:53 PM
diagoro's Avatar
diagoro diagoro is online now
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 173
Thanks: 8
Thanked 101 Times in 63 Posts
diagoro has a spectacular aura aboutdiagoro has a spectacular aura about
Re: ADHD Anger

I experienced bits of rage and major irritability when on Adderall, which mostly cleared up after taking an extended break. Granted, I can still get pretty irritable, but not so much the rage.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Come I Keep Forgetting I Have ADHD? Cabinfever New Member Introductions 4 05-03-17 08:46 PM
Coincidence of ADHD and Creativity Nova General ADD Talk 44 10-25-16 01:55 AM
Ongoing increases in ADHD diagnoses in the USA Kunga Dorji Scientific Discussion 7 12-08-13 11:38 AM
ADHD Symptoms and Dietary Connections bof00 Science in the Media 54 06-03-11 08:52 PM
Evidence doesn't support restricted diet for ADHD Andi ADD News 2 03-13-11 11:23 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums