ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-13-18, 06:20 PM
Jr Member

Chadjt3 is on a distinguished road
Question How long did it take to figure out your perfect dosage of Adderall?

What was the dosage you started on, how long have you been on it, and what dosage do you take currently? Also how long were you on each dos before changing it?

Not relevant, but I started taking 10s and then went to 30s a day and I'm noticing when I take a thirty at once I feel completly in tune and the side effects go away.

Whereas when I take half a thirty in the morning and the othe other half in the afternoon I get some bad side effects in terms of cranky mood when coming off and frequent bowel movements.

But when I take a whole 30 or take my halfs just 4 for hours apart I feel a lot better and have no side effects.

Basically I'm still trying to figure out my right dosage and would like to know how you got to your right dos?

Obviously my doctor and I will talk, but I see her just once a month so I'm often on my own expierenting with when and how to take my dosages.

Thanks. Any response is much appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chadjt3 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (07-14-18)
Old 07-13-18, 07:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,169 Times in 11,326 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long did it take to figure out your perfect dosage of Adderall?

Same dose for over twenty years. It works the same every day.

As long as it is Sandoz brand.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 07-13-18, 07:51 PM
Jr Member

DO you mind sharing what that dose is, and if it was the same one you started off on?

From my research the biggest obstacle in treating ADHD/ADD is finding the correct DOE (dosage of effectiveness).
Greyhound1 (07-14-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-18, 08:16 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 14,463 Times in 6,937 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve taken Adderall IR for years and have never found the perfect dosage for consistent results. I started off on 10mg twice a day. Over several months we titrated up to 20mg twice a day. Still prescribed that today. Usually, it’s too much and I hate the crash in the evening when it wears off. Typically, I’ll only take 10-20mg a day.

I still have inconsistent results but I’ve found out over the years that my needs vary from day to day. Things like sleep, stress and body chemistry seems to be the cause for me. When I’m tired, worn out and stressed, I usually take my full dose 20mg in the am and 20mg around noon. I take different dosages depending on how I feel. My Dr. is fine with it as long as I don’t exceed my prescribed amount.

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Chadjt3 (07-14-18), psychopathetic (07-13-18)
Old 07-13-18, 11:53 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,365 Times in 7,150 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still looking.

I don't take care of my health though, so it's hard to get anything at all consistent. It's like I really fight my own self.

I started on 5mg I think. Instant, 2 or 3 times a day.
Eventually (over the course of about 3 months) I found that 40mg of extended release in the morning +20mg of instant later in the afternoon did well with me. Stuck to that dose for awhile with very little complaints.

Then for some reason I wanted to try Dex...it was okay, but I decided to go back to adderall.
Now I'm taking 20mg instant 3 times a day.
It does help here...but sometimes I feel like I need 40mg in the morning to get me going. Other times I feel like 20mg is too much. >.<' I'm a bit all over the place trying to get things consistant.

I'm afraid I really wont get there...until I start getting my health better under control. Of most importance atm is my sleep issues (insomnia, horrible nightmares, EXTREME exhaustion from lack of sleep...etc. etc.), weight, and diabetes.

But yeah, out of all the doses I've had, I feel like the current 20mg/3xday is the closest I've been.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Chadjt3 (07-14-18), Greyhound1 (07-14-18)
Old 07-14-18, 03:15 PM

unverified is on a distinguished road

I just started using it and I notice I'm way more talkative which kinda bothers me, does that go away once your body gets used to it? Also, do the comedowns ever get better?
Old 07-14-18, 03:47 PM
Jr Member

I was only very constantly very talkative the first couple days. After that I've never gotten that same effect.

Don't get me wrong it can have moments where I get talkative. But the first couple days it was more continually active.
psychopathetic (07-14-18)
Old 07-14-18, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadjt3 View Post
I was only very constantly very talkative the first couple days. After that I've never gotten that same effect.

Don't get me wrong it can have moments where I get talkative. But the first couple days it was more continually active.
What about the anxiety spiking during the comedown, does that start to go away?
The Following User Says Thank You to unverified For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (07-14-18)
Old 07-14-18, 06:45 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,365 Times in 7,150 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by unverified View Post
What about the anxiety spiking during the comedown, does that start to go away?
Not for me it hasn't . I was on it for over a year, then stopped and have been on it now for like 8 or 9 months again...and yeah, those come downs can still be real rough on me.
I also get withdrawn and quiet when I start coming down. And grumpy!! lol

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

Old 07-14-18, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
Not for me it hasn't . I was on it for over a year, then stopped and have been on it now for like 8 or 9 months again...and yeah, those come downs can still be real rough on me.
I also get withdrawn and quiet when I start coming down. And grumpy!! lol
How do you combat that? I also have GAD, so it's turning into a balancing act of treating both the ADHD and GAD
Old 07-15-18, 03:52 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,449 Times in 14,478 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I started out on dexedrine and was on that for about 5 years. I switched to adderall and because I had been on the dex I went up to 60mg fairly quickly. Its only been the last 3 years that I have been at 80mg which is higher than the recommended daily max. Its very important to note that I have had physical problems and digestion issues that literally affect the way medication is absorbed and processed. Because of that I take all extended release (xr) and it is dosed every 4 hours so as if it was ir.. this has to do with absorption issues and is not typical. And it took 10 years to get to this point.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Chadjt3 (07-15-18)
Old 07-15-18, 04:50 AM
Jr Member

Honestly one of the strangest things about my Adderall use is that I don't feel anxiety ort depression when I withdraw.

I'll feel rare moments of detachement, which I guess is a form of depression.

But my doctor prescribed me gabbapentin, which is gamma drug that numbs the nervous system. So if I sense a bad comedown coming I take one of those and it solves it but also doesn't mess with my head any further because it is not really engineered to be psychoactive.

So basically I take that on a rough comedown.

Gabbapentin is like benzos but without the risk of dependency or addiction. I can easily forget about their existence on top of my fridge -- but when I need them they really help with my feelings of detachment.
Old 07-15-18, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Honestly one of the strangest things about my Adderall use is that I don't feel anxiety ort depression when I withdraw.

I'll feel rare moments of detachement, which I guess is a form of depression.

But my doctor prescribed me gabbapentin, which is gamma drug that numbs the nervous system. So if I sense a bad comedown coming I take one of those and it solves it but also doesn't mess with my head any further because it is not really engineered to be psychoactive.

So basically I take that on a rough comedown.

Gabbapentin is like benzos but without the risk of dependency or addiction. I can easily forget about their existence on top of my fridge -- but when I need them they really help with my feelings of detachment.

I know everyone is different, but what am I supposed to feel like on a good dose? 2.5-10 I was a zombie and increased anxiety, 15 I started feeling relaxed but now even at 20 I'm still anxious. I don't want know if the anxiety relief is normal or it's from some sort of euphoria
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unverified View Post
I know everyone is different, but what am I supposed to feel like on a good dose? 2.5-10 I was a zombie and increased anxiety, 15 I started feeling relaxed but now even at 20 I'm still anxious. I don't want know if the anxiety relief is normal or it's from some sort of euphoria

Everyone is a little different in how they feel, but for me it calms down, tunes me, and prevents me from getting frustrated. I can get anxious sometimes or socially withdrawn off of it, but that is normally when my diet is all messed up. Like if I havent been eating right, or sleeping right, or drank the night before, then the adderall can give me a little at that anxious feeling.

I'd mess around and see what works, and talk to your doctor. If you felt fine at 15, then why did you go to 20s? And if you have 20s maybe just break them up into 4 and take 3/4s of it so you are getting 15 again? Or are you on XR capsules? In that case get ahold of your doctor immediatley if the anxious feeling does not go away after a few days, you could trade your script in for a new one of 15s

And if it is really not working I hear vyvanse works really well. I've considered asking for that instead of adderall but adderall is doing fine as of now besides trying to sort out my minor side effects. If I was feeling anxious id probably be talking to my doctor.
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Everyone is a little different in how they feel, but for me it calms down, tunes me, and prevents me from getting frustrated. I can get anxious sometimes or socially withdrawn off of it, but that is normally when my diet is all messed up. Like if I havent been eating right, or sleeping right, or drank the night before, then the adderall can give me a little at that anxious feeling.

I'd mess around and see what works, and talk to your doctor. If you felt fine at 15, then why did you go to 20s? And if you have 20s maybe just break them up into 4 and take 3/4s of it so you are getting 15 again? Or are you on XR capsules? In that case get ahold of your doctor immediatley if the anxious feeling does not go away after a few days, you could trade your script in for a new one of 15s

And if it is really not working I hear vyvanse works really well. I've considered asking for that instead of adderall but adderall is doing fine as of now besides trying to sort out my minor side effects. If I was feeling anxious id probably be talking to my doctor.
I'm on the IR version. Both the 15 and 20 give me two different outcomes, both in which are not usually my normal character. 15 I initially felt a mood improvement, along with mellowing out but also being very bland. Shortly after, the mellow and flat feeling wears off but my anxiety also returns. 20, I get the mood boost and become very talkative..as it wears down it turns into the mellow flat mood.

With both, I still have an improved thought process but 20 could simply be euphoria and the anxiety relief with 15 is short lived.