ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-12, 01:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

MrJohn has a spectacular aura aboutMrJohn has a spectacular aura about
Strange stuff in my head

This has been going on for a while..maybe a year and I don't know if it has anything to do with ADD or maybe I'm just crazy or wierd.
Usually at night before I sleep but sometimes during the day at quiet times.
I'll be laying there and some picture and/or activity will come into my mind that I have no past or present reference for.
Last night, before I was asleep, I had the usual stuff racing through my head and trying to quiet them so I could sleep when suddenly there was the vision of a work area with a steam shovel. ??? Why am I thinking about a steam shovel? No answer.
I remember last week, same scenario lying in bed to sleep and this time I was thinking about the stuff I was going to do the next day. I was thinking about this pile of brush that needed to be cleaned up and visualizing the pile when suddenly there was a little red wagon on top of the pile. HUH?
I don't remember them all but it happens every night now. I've seen faces of people I don't know, an eyeball, just random visuals mostly but sometimes I'm interacting with things too.
I don't remember this happening before. Like many here my mind is racing constantly but the stuff that's going through my head has some point of reference in my life and these things don't
Any similar experiences or explanations?
Old 07-10-12, 01:16 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

rockydaydreamer will become famous soon enough
Re: Strange stuff in my head

When I'm tired from a long day, I sometimes see an image of a car in my head and it's in a country setting.. not sure why since I live in a city.
Old 07-10-12, 02:13 PM
Artisan of Shenanigans

Thanked 4,772 Times in 3,106 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

i dont know how to explain the weird **** going on up there before i go to sleep. i try to think of either white Z's in the darkness or a rotating white square in the darkness to shut everythingelse up

-Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-12, 02:34 PM

Danteloogi will become famous soon enough

I'm with you OP, I have some weird weird things come to me at times. Even when I was a child I would picture things that aren't typically normal for a child to understand.

I had a lot of very strange dreams growing up too. I can still remember some of the reoccurring ones to this day. I don't know if that has any relation to just simply picturing things in your head, but I always thought it did.
Old 07-10-12, 10:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,911 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Hypnagogic hallucinations are hallucinations which occur at the boundary between sleeping and waking. They can occur when people are falling asleep, or when they are starting to wake up, and they tend to be extremely vivid, feeling like a Technicolor Oz after the black and white Kansas of every day life. Many people experience hypnagogic hallucinations at some point during their lives, but recurrent intense hallucinations can be a sign of an underlying medical condition which may require treatment.

Visual, auditory, tactile, and kinetic sensations can all be experienced during hypnagogic hallucinations, and everyone experiences slightly different forms. Some people, for example, may feel like they are falling, and jerk themselves awake to avoid hitting the ground. Others may hear voices as they are trying to drift off to sleep, or experience a vivid sensation that someone or something is in the room. Sensory experiences such as feeling like one is submerged in a pool of water are also not uncommon.

In some cases, hypnagogic hallucinations can be frightening for the people who experience them. They may include vivid and frightening images, including images which are out of scale, which can make the hallucinations seem even more unsettling; people may see giant spiders on the walls, for example, or feel like they have shrunk down to a tiny size in the bed. The vivid experiences may also be brought to mind over the course of the day, causing inexplicable images or sensations to filter through someone's consciousness at an unexpected moment.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-hyp...ucinations.htm

Hmm, I get them quite a lot. Wonder if I shoulder to a doctor. I should first get a doctor.
I don't mind getting them as long as the voices don't tell me to kill myself and the demons don't come under my covers, because they tell me when I'm about to fall asleep.
Old 07-11-12, 06:15 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

rockydaydreamer will become famous soon enough

I tend to have these Hypnagogic phenomena (as listed in Wikipedia) when I've messed up my sleep cycle.
Old 07-11-12, 06:42 AM

Thanked 27,505 Times in 13,316 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I've always had this, I thought everyone did! I just assumed it was part of that state right before you fall asleep. ( I usually don't have trouble falling asleep, most of the time I don't really notice the images anyway).
Old 07-11-12, 07:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

MrJohn has a spectacular aura aboutMrJohn has a spectacular aura about

Hypnagogic hallucinations Hmmm?

Hadn't heard that term before. I haven't had anything terrifying or even scary. Just very curious as they all have no relationship to whatever I'm thinking about. I feel like I'm still awake but maybe closer to sleep than I think I am.
Thank you for the replies, especially you, fracturedstory.
fracturedstory (07-11-12)
Old 07-11-12, 07:14 PM

Thanked 7,911 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
I've always had this, I thought everyone did! I just assumed it was part of that state right before you fall asleep. ( I usually don't have trouble falling asleep, most of the time I don't really notice the images anyway).
It feels pretty normal to me, apart from the voices. I still get spooked out.
Old 07-11-12, 07:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

DeathMetal2000 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone had sleep paralysis?