ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-09, 07:23 PM
Contributor

odsybmx734 is on a distinguished road
One last try to explain myself, and get help. mind racing/medications/etc.

This is my last attempt to try and explain, and get advice/help/anything on this issue I have.

I have posted a few threads about racing thoughts, and how they are getting to be a real problem for me, and I am sorry if any of this is repetitive but I am desperate. I will try to keep it short and sweet.

Medications I am on are:

Adderall 20mg Xr once a day.

Wellbutrin 100mg twice a day.

I have been diagnosed with inattentive A.D.D., and nothing else.

I was just put on Wellbutrin a week ago to try and help the racing thoughts and plan on continuing to take it until I find a new doctor who will tell me if it actually even helps racing thoughts since I don't want to be on an anti-depressant when I am not depressed.

Adderall is on and off with helping my mind racing, usually I take it around 9 a.m. and I would say my mind is on one channel on and off until about 2, and then it just unwinds and I feel like my head is just a bowl of mush being blended at high speed....I describe it as feeling 'sick in the head'.

I really only take Adderall for motivation, and to keep my thoughts from getting in the way of getting **** done. Everyone makes a big deal about focusing, but if I really have/want to I can focus without medication, it is just really hard for me.

I am starting to wonder if I even have A.d.d.... what if I am bi-polar? schizo? anything!? I just don't even know anymore, there is so many conditions with so many symptoms I am starting to wonder if I am misdiagnosed.

The only thing I have found to treat racing thoughts searching online, was Xanax and Klonopin.... I have never taken either. They seem like medications you take as needed.... in other words..not everyday. But I need something everyday. I can't sleep at night, I have to take something to put my mind at ease so it will let me just fall asleep.

I think I have said all I can say... maybe when you guys reply I can give you any information I might have left out, but I would really appreciate it if anyone who has experienced this mind racing and found a solution, could give me some advice. Or if you have anything to say at all I am all ears.

I am desperate at this point, it is mainly the sleep I am worried about, I can deal with feeling crappy and sick in the head during the day. I can't deal with laying down every night, with my mind going and going and going.

So sorry about the length. Thank you for reading
The Following User Says Thank You to odsybmx734 For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (09-02-09)
Old 09-02-09, 07:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,426 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: One last try to explain myself, and get help. mind racing/medications/etc.

meds aren't your only option - what about counseling? Perhaps there's another reason for your racing thoughts?

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
Old 09-02-09, 07:43 PM

Thanked 21,938 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68488 simple temp fix for chattery and racing thoughts

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61092 brain chatter racing thoughts same thing?

These are a couple of old posts, not sure if you've seen them. Racing thoughts is a symptom of ADHD and has been spoken of by quite a few members. Maybe it's the whole back to school thing that is keeping some of them away from the forums.

Best I can do to help you.

Ginnie
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
odsybmx734 (09-03-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-09, 07:46 PM

Thanked 21,938 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Oops found one more.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14681 Brain chatter can't sleep
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
odsybmx734 (09-03-09)
Old 09-02-09, 08:18 PM

ysabeau is a jewel in the roughysabeau is a jewel in the roughysabeau is a jewel in the rough

This is something I haven't had to deal with in a long time, it's horrible and I really sympathize.

In my own case it was related to anxiety. I ended up doing a short course in meditation and relaxation exercises, which in essence is about controlling breath, being aware of breath and thought and then eventually taking control of the chaotic flow. In identifying the triggers, you eventually come to be able to avoid and control them.
It was extremely helpful in my own case, and can be done in bed every night before sleep. There are many many books and audiotapes available, and can be found in most bookstores.

The comments you made about Xanax/tranquilizers hold true, it's not viable or desirable to use them daily.
I would only say that in the interim period when it feels really out of control and you are exhausted, it can be an aid for getting yourself into a less fraught headspace, regrouping, then making a fresh,rested attempt at mastering the problem at hand.
Old 09-02-09, 08:21 PM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered the possibility that it's the stimulant causing the racing thoughts? It is a well documented and very common side effect of stimulants, and in fact it's almost definitive in most populations.

You're saying you're taking the Adderall primarily for motivation, and not for focus, though stimulants by definition help everyone with that (the only thing that the paradoxical reaction is paradoxical about is that it helps people with hyperactivity sit still, whereas they give most people the jitters).

You may want to consider discontinuing the stimulant for a few days and seeing if the racing thoughts subside.

For example,
Quote:
Adderall is on and off with helping my mind racing, usually I take it around 9 a.m. and I would say my mind is on one channel on and off until about 2, and then it just unwinds and I feel like my head is just a bowl of mush being blended at high speed....I describe it as feeling 'sick in the head'.
This doesn't sound like it's helping with racing thoughts. This sounds like it's focusing the racing thoughts onto one or two subjects, something that's entirely typical of stimulants in both ADHD and non-ADHD populations. You don't ever say "Adderall slows my mind down." You specifically say "Adderall focuses my thoughts to one or two channels."

See another psychiatrist and have your medications reevaluated. Racing thoughts aren't diagnostically typical of inattentive type ADHD. They're entirely typical of "taking amphetamines." All tweakers have racing thoughts. From the sound of it, you were diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type when in fact there is something else in play (generalized anxiety, for example) or nothing else at all in play (misdiagnosis due to confirmation bias), and the amphetamine you're taking is causing your thoughts to race, which is what stimulants do.

I wouldn't be so adamant about this if "racing thoughts" weren't a primary effect of taking a stimulant.
odsybmx734 (09-03-09)
Old 09-02-09, 08:54 PM
Contributor

Wow, I didn't expect to get so many replies.

Alright where do i start. I'll try my best.

Meditation/relaxation is HARD for me, I think I need books or someone to tell me how to even start the process, the thoughts don't let me, they keep knocking at the door and won't shut up.

Kmiller, the Adderall does NOT slow my mind down, I feel like I need something in combination with the Adderall to slow my mind down....even/balance things out, fill the gaps in my mind.

When I was diagnosed I was 100% positive, I mean I show SO many signs of inattentive, well I did... maybe I should get reevaluated.

Yes, the adderall focuses the racing thoughts on one or two subjects you are exactly right. Then it wears off and I am back to 10 subjects a second. I have taken many breaks from adderall and I never remember having a slow at ease mind....ever...I have always self medicated with pot, which helped me long after smoking (hours after coming down) I took a 3 day break, which I know isn't much, just this week and again, racing thoughts were just as bad or worse.

livinginchaos, I don't mean to sound like I am seeking meds, I am open to anything... but I don't understand how counseling would help me. I have been there done that, how does talking to someone help my mind racing?

I feel like it is just how I am, but then I have no idea.. I am really confused about everything and I don't know what I need, what doctor to see... I try asking my mom for her opinion and I just can't explain it to her, or any one else for that matter. This forum is the only place where I feel people understand at least halfway of what I am talking about.

And I want to say, the thoughts are not always fast paced, I can be thinking about something for like 10 seconds, then I think about something totally unrelated and think about that for a while. At it's worst I start thinking about something and 10 seconds later I don't remember what I thought about for 10 seconds because I thought about so many things. But ALWAYS, the thoughts are almost in no way related... I guess they must be since one has to lead to another somehow....but they just....AHHH loss of words. i dont know.

I will check out those posts soon ginnie.
Old 09-02-09, 09:01 PM
Contributor

Just read those posts,the 2nd link is exactly what I am talking about....

Lol, I have tried the writing in a journal thing...aghh my mind just never runs out of material, I write whole pages on my livejournal and still manage to keep coming up with thoughts.... I just need to SLOW things down up there... my mind is hyper.

I am pretty sure I have social anxiety... I have a thread about it. But i don't know if anxiety causes this sort of thing? I would love to find the trigger... but what if it is just how I am
Old 09-02-09, 09:14 PM

Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,426 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute

counseling could help - especially if you can find a therapist who can teach you how to meditate or body scan.
This is what I'm currently learning how to do so I can get to sleep.

i don't know about you, but often my brain chatters due to anxiety.
I'm learning how to deal with my anxiety through meditation and body scans and also to let it all out in my sessions.

Another thing that was recommended to me is journaling your thoughts.
(I was told) Often, if you can write it down your brain will calm down because you just get it out.
I have had some luck with this, but I'm not good at journaling on a routine basis.
So many people think journaling means "dear diary" but it can be rubbish.
I just write down what my brain chatter is saying, it doesn't always make sense.

It doesn't seem to me like you're just seeking meds. I think meds can help (I take some myself - I'm not anti-med by any means), but they don't always help.
I'm a big advocate of learning skills to help you out.
We can't always depend on meds.

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
The Following User Says Thank You to livinginchaos For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (09-03-09)
Old 09-02-09, 09:51 PM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

I can't stress enough that stimulants are pretty much the worst thing you can put someone on who is having problems with racing thoughts or other manic-type symptoms.
Old 09-02-09, 11:12 PM
Contributor

crap. so i get off the adderall now? I have classes starting this week...... last chance this time around or else I am out. My life falls apart without adderall. ****.
Old 09-03-09, 12:54 AM

Thanked 1,559 Times in 770 Posts
Grafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant future

I don't know what the heck is going on with my keyboard. I had a much better explanation for you, but it's gone now.

The short of it, you might ask about Strattera. I didn't realize how well it seemed to help me with the racing thoughts, constant chatter, and anxiousness until I started Concerta last year. (If I thought the Strat would work for me again, I'd go back to it. After 4 years taking it, max dosage became ineffective for me.) There are many accounts of Strat being an effective anti-anxiety med also.

If you are lucky, it could be something that helps you in this area. It helped me.

Check with your doctor, especially if the Welbutrin is still prescribed.
Old 09-03-09, 02:06 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,418 Times in 6,123 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller View Post
I can't stress enough that stimulants are pretty much the worst thing you can put someone on who is having problems with racing thoughts or other manic-type symptoms.
Well I tend to believe that stimulants are not nearly as bad for manic type symptoms as the damn antidepressants - Antidepressants actually CAUSE mania for me - which would not be so bad if I was at lest a half a** pleasant manic but nooo.

I am gathering that the racing thoughts have been a life time issue for the OP?? If not then it may be a medication issue. If racing thoughts are some thing that has been a problem the OP's entire life then we are talking ADD.

Some thing I learned during a medication induced mania - that there is a difference between manic racing thoughts, anxiety produced racing thought and ADD racing thoughts. . I have found in my case that racing thought induced by mania "slammed" into my head - they were intrusive some time to the point of painful -

The anxiety produced racing was more along the lines of worry - constantly scanning scanning scanning looking for that disaster lurking behind every corner - worrying things like who will feed my cats if I died.

ADD racing thoughts sort of "slip" in there - I will be concentrating on "A" and next thing I know my mind has wandered off completely leaving the alphabet without me even knowing it was happening.

With ADD racing thoughts I am unaware of the passage of time, anxiety seems to slow time down at night speed it up during the day and mania I am aware of time to the point of annoyance

This has been my personal experience which may or may not be useful to the OP. I have been thrown into mania by medications and I have anxiety {thank you perimenopause} along with ADD . . . . . Gary doesn't have anxiety or mania, he doesn't take medications yet he has a brain that chatters at night keeping him from being able to go to sleep - so it can be caused by ADD.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
odsybmx734 (09-03-09)
Old 09-03-09, 02:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Kiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of light

I take wellbutrin nfor depression and it has not now or ever helped with racing thoughts....I dont think it claims to.

The straterra idea is valid....non stimulant for ADD.

Maybe an anti anxiety med as last resort? Xanax maybe?

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
Old 09-03-09, 02:46 AM
Contributor

I tried straterra in the past, made me sick, very sick....very scary almost collapsed in shower. Tried Concerta, instant migraine.

Meadd, I deff don't think my thoughts have anything to do with worrying.... except around people. Usually they fit your discription of ADD.

Kiddder, this is an everyday thing for me....every night I have to deal with this and I don't think any doc will prescribe me a daily dose of Xanax... I would end up taking them everyday and running out early I bet.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I have been tossing and turning since 12.... I don't know what to do and I have NO idea how meditation and relaxation could even be possible in this state....at all....I have been thinking about it (among 10,000 other things) and I just don't understand how my mind could stop this without drugs lol...honestly. If anything it feels worse at night then any other time..like even faster.. which almost makes me lean towards ADD being the cause since it is farther away from the time I took adderall and the time it wore off.

I hope someone is up cause...it looks like im gonna be sitting on the computer all morning.