ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 10-09-18, 04:10 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,239 Times in 935 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Playful Mindset?

This thread is meant with the idea of creating a discussion about the possible pros and cons of approaching treatment with a "playful mindset".

-What is a playful mindset?

Recently, I have been consciously approaching discussing treatment of my own and other peoples emotional health issues with a "playful mindset".

Although a good laugh is never prohibited, I do not necessarily mean a discussion about approaching treatment with a jokey comical mindset, but more about feeling our own "playful mindset", and how being able to imagine and consider our own "playful mindset", can help.

M
lisariver (10-09-18), namazu (10-09-18)
Old 10-09-18, 05:13 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,398 Times in 15,007 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Playful Mindset?

I am always playful. My husband is always telling me that I think everything is a game.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
lisariver (10-09-18), mildadhd (10-09-18), namazu (10-09-18)
Old 10-09-18, 12:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

lisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of light

I try not to take myself too seriously, if I can. I like to laugh, it feels good, and I do a lot of ridiculous things that are laughable. But yeah, there can be times when it's avoidance of feeling what I really feel, not dealing with the situation, i need work in this area. Sometimes I wish i could laugh more at myself, and not be so fearful.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lisariver For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (10-13-18), mildadhd (10-09-18), namazu (10-09-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-18, 04:34 PM

Do you remember the playful feeling?

M
lisariver (10-09-18)
Old 10-09-18, 04:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

DanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to all

I've definitely noticed that catastrophizing, as well as trying too hard, definitely are counterproductive. The whole point is to be happier, and part of being happy is relaxing and just being. I think the playful approach is definitely valuable at times, too. Have fun with things and not be grimly serious about it, although there is a time to do that too.

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DanielGM1970 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (10-13-18), lisariver (10-09-18), mildadhd (10-09-18), namazu (10-09-18)
Old 10-09-18, 05:34 PM

Recently, I have been feeling progress when I think about the feeling of being in the playful mindset, when confronted with problem.

Seems to help counteract counterproductive distresses, created on my part?

During the past week alone, I have avoided several unpleasant discussions (based on many past experiences), that usually ended in counterproductive distresses.

M
lisariver (10-09-18), namazu (10-09-18)
Old 10-09-18, 06:30 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,676 Times in 10,400 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
approaching treatment with a "playful mindset".
Mental health issues, and the treatments for them, can be a drag. Years of therapy, medications, lifestyle changes (or attempts at lifestyle changes)...not always so much fun.

I have found that a playful mindset can help make it easier to try new things and to stick with some changes in the short term. (Whether it helps sustain those changes in the long term, I'm not convinced yet. But I keep trying.)

For example, sometimes I'm skeptical that something my psychologist suggests will really be helpful. Looking at it as a game, or trying to see it as an interesting experiment, sometimes helps. (The intervention, likewise, sometimes helps and sometimes doesn't.)

There was also a period where I was struggling with clutter. (Or, more honestly, I'm always struggling with clutter -- but this was a period where I was more actively/successfully doing something about it...) It was also around the time of the Summer Olympics. I was watching beach volleyball, and whenever a player scored, the announcer was fond of saying, "...And she puts it awaaaay!" I adopted this as my congratulations to myself for tackling some bit of clutter. "And she puts it awaaaaay!" Although my difficulties in keeping anything organized are very frustrating, livening up my efforts in this way helped keep up my spirits and made me feel slightly heroic.

In an effort to deal with the problem of being slow to wake up and be functional in the morning (before or without meds), I started leaving myself post-it notes with very simple to-dos on the inside of the toilet lid (where I'd see them when I went to pee first thing in the morning). I nicknamed these "Dear John" letters... Playfully involving the toilet in my efforts helped me stumble upon a useful strategy.

Not sure if those examples are what you're thinking of as "playful mindset" or more "jokey/comical" -- for me, they're part and parcel of the same thing.

Long-term, I think accepting my difficulties as part of me has been helped by not taking myself too seriously nor demanding that I maintain a high standard of achievement consistently. Though I am always trying to improve, and often frustrated by the things I still find difficult or impossible, being able to laugh at myself and to experiment and to try unconventional / "silly" approaches makes it easier to stay engaged and not to lose all hope.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (10-13-18), lisariver (10-09-18), mildadhd (10-09-18)
Old 10-13-18, 03:15 AM

I wonder if we as a society always need to be having fun, to promote the benefits of play?

Example

Building playgrounds sounds like work to me, not play.

The playgrounds play critical roles in human development, etc.

M
Old 10-13-18, 03:33 AM

Institutionalized playful mindsets' (not always fun).

M