ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 07-31-18, 12:37 PM

gillnick2045@ya is on a distinguished road
Not sure if I have adult Add or some anxiety or what? Help!

Hello, I am 18 years old and just about to finish my first semester in college, however I think i may be affected by mild ADHD or some type of social anxiety. I have also heard that undiagnosed ADHD can produce symptoms of social anxiety.
Whenever I read something that I am not interested in I have a hard time focusing, my mind just seems wander off, even when I am literally in the process of reading. After a paragraph or so, I catch myself from wandering off, and realize that I just read a bunch of information but cant even remember any of it.

Also, this is more on the milder side, but sometimes when I have a conversation with someone I don't know, I can wonder off, like when reading, and only retain bits and pieces of what they said, its like I have no interest or don't care too much about what they have to say.
I can also have trouble starting a conversation, partly to the fact that i can stutter sometimes, or tend to avoid human conflict, not often but in certain social situations.

Also on the more milder side is my procrastination, sometimes I think is no big deal if I put my assignment off till the last minute, as i underestimate the amount of time it will take me. As for disorganization or messiness, there is some there but it could just be because I can be lazy sometimes.

Switching over to the class room, my attention span is perfectly find sometimes, but I do find myself thinking a lot in my own head, often not paying enough attention to my professor. Also, sometimes I have bad anxiety in class, like when I am called on to answer a question, even when I know the answer, my mind will go blank and I will just kind of freeze up, or say ummmm.

Socially, whenever I feel like I am the center of attention, (standing up to go to the bathroom, talking to my professor when no one else is, etc.) I am nervous that i might make a mistake, and it will be really awkward, like I always assume the worst case scenario, and talk near as much as the other kids in my class.

Again, a lot of these symptoms seem to be on the milder, like they are not as extreme as the symptoms you would find online if you were to search adult ADHD or social anxiety. However, I do think there is a possibility for something there as these symptoms have sort of been present most of my life, I just never really thought anything of it.

I appreciate your feedback,
Thanks
Old 07-31-18, 01:58 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,450 Times in 15,034 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Not sure if I have adult Add or some anxiety or what? Help!

when did these symptoms appear?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-31-18, 02:25 PM

gillnick2045@ya is on a distinguished road

Almost feel like they have been present for most of my life but i have always been able to deal with them, now i am just stuck on the fact that I may have ADD and if there is a solution i want to fix it, so i am starting to notice them a lot more>
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-18, 09:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,214 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

You could have anxiety and ADHD ... and your anxiety could be unrelated to ADHD.

Lots of us have two conditions ... ADHD and something else ... and often you have to treat them both at the same time.
Old 08-06-18, 08:58 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,450 Times in 15,034 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillnick2045@ya View Post
Almost feel like they have been present for most of my life but i have always been able to deal with them, now i am just stuck on the fact that I may have ADD and if there is a solution i want to fix it, so i am starting to notice them a lot more>
I can see why that would be the case. A lot of times as we get older the symptoms change or seem to get worse.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 08-06-18, 10:02 AM

DieselFreak is on a distinguished road

You sound alot like me, I have both anxiety (mostly social anxiety) and ADHD. Although I believe in my case they may be separate fairly mild conditions, they sort of feed off of and amplify each other. The ADHD seems to make my anxiety much worse, and the increased anxiety just adds fuel to the fire for the ADHD.

I too believe I've had the conditions all my life, but seems as I get older, the added responsibilities in life make the symptoms more and more noticable, or atleast harder to deal with. I always thought it was just anxiety, but the more I actually started looking into my symptoms and started researching adhd there, is definitely more to it than just anxiety atleast in my case.

It wouldn't hurt to get checked out if the symptoms are causing a negative effect on you. It's good that you are looking into it now at your age, I wish I had back when I was your age but at the time I just didn't give it any thought.
Old 08-09-18, 05:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,563 Times in 863 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of adults figure out they have ADHD when they start something new such as college, a new job, going back to school, etc. We had developed coping mechanisms that worked in our old setting but do not in the new one.

I discovered I have ADHD at 40 years old when I went back to school for a second degree/second career.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
DieselFreak (09-06-18), PoppnNSailinMan (08-12-18)