ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 09-24-18, 05:46 PM

dannict is on a distinguished road
Question PCP Frustration - Please Help

At my most recent appointment, my PCP told me that he could no longer prescribe my Adderall, which I have been on since 2013. He referred me to a neurologist, suggesting that I work with the one within his practice. I had done a little research, and wanted to go to one that was closer to me (the drive to my PCP's office is an hour) and that had experience both with Adult ADHD and sleep disorders (I am showing signs of narcolepsy). That doctor's office insisted on having a copy of my records from my family physician before he would agree to see me and after reviewing the records refused to see me, saying that it was his feeling that I should go to see the doctor that my PCP wanted me to see. I have continued to look for a doctor, but have been having a hard time finding a neurologist in my area that treats adult ADHD and is willing to write the necessary prescriptions on a monthly basis (the last neurologist I saw was willing to evaluate me and confirmed that I did indeed have ADHD, but would not do meds). I feel like I am banging my head against a wall. I have a feeling that the sleep issues and ADHD are related (and even if not, they are happening to the same brain, so I would like to get them both treated by the same person to prevent gaps in care or related issues. Any suggestions on what I should do would be greatly appreciated. I just feel like I am going through the run around and have all of these hurdles to overcome.
The Following User Says Thank You to dannict For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-24-18)
Old 09-24-18, 07:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,214 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: PCP Frustration - Please Help

Is there a reason you haven't gone to a psychiatrist?

I know finding a psychiatrist who takes insurance is hard in a lot of areas--including the are I live in ... But just wondering.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (09-27-18), namazu (09-25-18)
Old 09-25-18, 04:07 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,400 Times in 15,007 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I am also wondering about why you havent seen a psyche doctor. Most PCP's and even most neurologists are more comfortable shifting the treatment of adhd and similar conditions to the doctors that specialize in it.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (09-27-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-18, 12:02 PM

I was originally seen and treated by a psychiatrist and a psychologist while in law school (college clinic environment meant that the psychiatrist largely handled medication, and handed you off to a therapist for talk therapy). My more recent appointments have been with neurologists because that is who my pcp specifically told me to see, and I was trying to comply with his wishes. This time particularly, going to a neurologist seemed like the best method to try to determine if the sleep issues that I am having (potentially narcolepsy) has any tie to the adhd. I am open to going to a psychiatrist, although I am not immediately sure what my insurance coverage would be.
The Following User Says Thank You to dannict For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-27-18)
Old 09-27-18, 12:19 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Most PCP's and even most neurologists are more comfortable shifting the treatment of adhd and similar conditions to the doctors that specialize in it.
I'm sure neurologists are well qualified to treat ADHD (a neurodevelopmental disorder). I think they just don't want to, since they probably get reimbursed better from doing tests/procedures than from medication management/talk therapy.
Old 09-28-18, 06:11 PM

So, I went to the neurologist today, and I get this feeling that he does not agree with the prior diagnosis of ADHD, not in what he said, but in how I said it. He said that I had really good grades for someone with the condition and that my love of reading was not typical for someone with adhd as reading requires concentration. He has so far not taken me off of the adderall, but has added Wellbutrin to try to help with the fatigue. I just feel frustrated, sad and alone.
Old 09-28-18, 08:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,985 Times in 12,126 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, what an idiot. Clearly he knows nothing about adhd.

You've been on meds for 5 years which has helped with your grades.

And the problem is not that we can't focus or can't maintain focus.
When something interests us, we tend to hyperfocus on that thing.
I love to read fiction, especially mysteries and who-dun-it's.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 09-30-18, 04:21 PM

While I agree with you that he is utterly wrong, my initial ADHD diagnosis occurred when I was a first year law student (and the work got so difficult and my anxiety so bad that I became physically ill). His judgment regarding my academic success came from prior to this time, when I was getting excellent grades despite not being medicated/ receiving any treatment. I can remember also struggling mightily to stay organized, all of the classes where I sat in class the whole period, but could not tell you anything about what the teacher said, and how things took me much longer than my peers. I also remember my emotional issues (I cried very easily, particularly if I received a bad grade or was yelled at)

In the long run, I don't know what I am going to do. I am looking into insurance coverage for psychiatric care (I am currently unemployed, so if insurance won't pay, it is very much a deal breaker), and options as far as a psychiatrist who will see me. I do know that I do not want to go back to this particular neurologist because of the way he made me feel and my serious questions as to his knowledge of my conditions.