ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 06-03-12, 09:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

seamstress will become famous soon enough
Concerta and Emotional Numbness

So, I've started up on the concerta (the real brand not the generic one), and I felt myself becoming more and more emotionally numb. It's a very very scary feeling. When I am off the medication, I am usually a highly intuitive and highly emotional person and I usually tend to overreact to things. I tend to pick up on the emotions in my atmosphere, like I can't filter out other people's emotions. If they're sad, I'm sad, if they're cranky, I'm angry. Which is probably why I'm so moody.

Also...I tend to cry more easily, when I feel bad for people who are put in unfortunate situations. I could also get overly sad or frustrated when things don't go my way. I am also usually very empathetic, as if I am feeling other people's emotions more deeply than they themselves are feeling them! I see that as a good thing in certain contexts. Bad, because people can manipulate you when they know you're highly emotion...

But, when I'm on the medication..I become very apathetic...I don't feel anger, fear, happiness, or sadness or any other emotion to the same extent. I thing that's a very very bad thing. I don't feel bad for people as much as I used to even though I should. On the medication, its like I'm completely disconnected, and I feel like I don't want to socialize, sometimes. I don't get that "reward" feeling from socializing. I also tend to find things that I used to find scary or anxiety-provoking completely more normal... Maybe I am overanalyzing things?

I don't want this medication to turn me into some numb psychopath-like state. I want to be able to "feel" things again! So, I'm going off the medication for a while. Maybe I need to lower the dose? Has anyone ever experienced this before? Feeling very odd in some kind of over-medicated state? Could this medication somehow shut the emotional part of my brain "off"?
The Following User Says Thank You to seamstress For This Useful Post:
BR549 (06-04-12)
Old 06-04-12, 10:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

Re: Concerta and Emotional Numbness

FYI..I'm not weird or anything. Apparently, some people on the forums had the same problem with Adderall : http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35999. I was wondering if someone experienced that "emotional zombie" feeling with methylphenidate. If so, how did you deal with it?
The Following User Says Thank You to seamstress For This Useful Post:
BR549 (06-04-12)
Old 06-04-12, 10:15 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,148 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

No, you aren't weird AT ALL These medications affect everyone differently. I didn't have a good experience on Concerta. However, it was brand, not generic.

I don't know if the generic versions have the osmotic pump that the name brand has. Not sure if that would make a difference or not, since it's just the medication delivery system.

I didn't feel like an emotional zombie. I felt like I was being turned on and off all day. I also felt like I was on something. I always knew that there was medication in my system and I didn't like that. I didn't feel over-medicated, but I didn't ever feel like myself. If that makes sense.

I know that you are limited with medication options in Australia, but you might do better with Ritalin, than Concerta. It could just be that you'd do better with an Amphetamine than a methylphenidate medication.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following User Says Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
seamstress (06-04-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-12, 01:17 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,408 Times in 15,013 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Not weird just particular. What dose are you on?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-04-12, 01:41 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

Concerta brand name and generic are made by the same company, so I'm pretty sure they are the same (but this is in the US, I'd think it's the same everywhere though?)

Anyway, maybe the dosage is wrong, or maybe you're just feeling "less" and a bit more in control of your emotions (like not letting other's emotions govern yours) and it just feels like a mental zombie?

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 06-04-12, 11:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silivrentoliel View Post
Concerta brand name and generic are made by the same company, so I'm pretty sure they are the same (but this is in the US, I'd think it's the same everywhere though?)

Anyway, maybe the dosage is wrong, or maybe you're just feeling "less" and a bit more in control of your emotions (like not letting other's emotions govern yours) and it just feels like a mental zombie?
"Mental zombie" is a great way of putting my feelings into words. But, it's an extreme. It's not that I felt in control of my emotions. The fact is, the medication I was taking made me feel little to no emotion. I stopped the medication and I felt a little bit more like myself again. It was just too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Not weird just particular. What dose are you on?
I was on 18mg of concerta. I think I'll switch to extended release methylphenidate 5 mg.
Old 06-05-12, 06:29 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,408 Times in 15,013 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

What about dexedrine? Is that available is AUS?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-06-12, 01:42 PM

sky..- is on a distinguished road

Same here mate.

Its like you also fear that bad things are going to happen to others/yourself and overall just scared and this crappy feeling. <-- kinda normal for crash.

These make a huge difference to reduce the comedown effects:
-> Get enough sleep
-> When concerta starts to ware off in the evening, eating and drinking water will reduce the comedown

[+] -> but yeah concerta comedown can be bad, like out of every 50 days there are just some comedowns that are awful, just awful. feeling crap,scared,sad,sometimes its like your face is even crying or something.

but yeah, Concerta crash can be very hard sometimes, getting enough sleep + bonus sleep makes a huge difference along with eating healthy int the evenings (when crash)
The Following User Says Thank You to sky..- For This Useful Post:
seamstress (06-20-12)
Old 06-06-12, 01:44 PM

sky..- is on a distinguished road

and yeah as stated by one of the mods, Ritalin may be better...
The Following User Says Thank You to sky..- For This Useful Post:
seamstress (06-20-12)
Old 06-20-12, 06:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky..- View Post
and yeah as stated by one of the mods, Ritalin may be better...
Yeah, I've started on the methylphenidate 5mg, but I was surprised it only lasted 3 hrs! Wish pharmaceuticals industries focused more on patient feebback and worried less about selling drugs. Some of us really slow metabolizers and we need an extended release, low dose of medications.
Old 06-20-12, 11:03 PM

Thanked 12,148 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamstress View Post
Yeah, I've started on the methylphenidate 5mg, but I was surprised it only lasted 3 hrs! Wish pharmaceuticals industries focused more on patient feebback and worried less about selling drugs. Some of us really slow metabolizers and we need an extended release, low dose of medications.
There are other options for longer acting methylphenidate besides Concerta. I am just not sure what's available in your country

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following User Says Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
seamstress (06-29-12)
Old 06-21-12, 12:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

starrykitten will become famous soon enough

I'm getting a bit of this on the Adderall I just started. I don't remember it being a problem on Concerta, though. In fact, Concerta made me extra weepy.
The Following User Says Thank You to starrykitten For This Useful Post:
seamstress (06-29-12)
Old 06-25-12, 09:42 PM

RainySunShine is on a distinguished road

I witnessed similar effects when I first started taking Concerta. When I completed my first week, I thought I had forever lost the ability to smile. It passed after a few weeks, and I found myself capable of laughing and joking. This was just my experience, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to RainySunShine For This Useful Post:
seamstress (06-29-12)
Old 07-20-12, 09:37 PM

Thanked 1,561 Times in 861 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I felt very similar, seamstress!! I was on 54 mg for approx 3-4 months and felt odd, depressed feeling but different. I was able to fake feeling normal at work but finally couldn't take it and I had to get off of it and will be on 36 mg when my medical assistance paperwork gets straightened out.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
seamstress (08-16-12)
Old 08-16-12, 02:25 PM
Jr Member

araisbec is on a distinguished road

I know the exact feeling you are describing, however I am not sure at this point whether it is negative or not... My thoughts and emotions have always been more then a little "turbulent", and I am not sure if my more stable (or flatlined) emotional state is what it "should" be. I get slightly anxious at times, but when that side effect is at bay, I do enjoy the ease I now have in conversation and getting things done.

At the end of the day though, Concerta is a drug. More specifically, it is a stimulant that is quite similar to cocaine in structure. I don't know how many times I have heard that "If you have ADD/ADHD and you take these drugs, you become normal, whereas if you are free of any mental disorder, you will get high or speedy". Whether or not you have a mental disorder (which may have a biological cause, or could very well be a deeply ingrained learned behavior, which I think is most often the cause tbh), the drug is going to effect you the same way; It's going to enhance your focus. The only difference being, that it may be a more noticable and substancial improvement in someone who was lacking it in the first place.

Sorry for the rant. Just remember; Concerta is a drug. If you and your doctor weigh the pros and the cons, and its therapeutic value outweights it's side effect profile, continue with it. Otherwise, try a different treatment, or maybe something besides medicine... I am sure that most of the time, symptoms can be greatly improved through diet, excersize, and practise of good study/learning skills.
The Following User Says Thank You to araisbec For This Useful Post:
seamstress (08-16-12)