ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-18, 11:25 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,981 Times in 2,050 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Flooding - is it really caused by ADHD?

I was reading a post on the adhd support forum and the poster brought up the subject of flooding.

I guess supposedly "flooding" is when a person has anger/rage outbursts. They say logic flies out the door during these floods. Below is a link sarahsweets had provided which explain it more.

Is this really caused soley by ADHD? It doesn't feel like it to me. I can see how ADHD can make it so you can't think straight, that you can't help but vocalize uncontrolled thoughts.

But I can't see how it can generate the anger unless something else is wrong. Like low self-esteem making you angry at the world. Or that it can let you constantly hurt others with your yelling unless deep inside, you are a selfish person that just doesn't care enough about how your actions affect others.

Am I sounding like a not understanding NT here? My guess is yes but I just don't understand.

I'm cool as a cucumber (compared to most people anyway) even though ADHD does make me blurt thoughts out sometimes.

My Daughter's Emotional Floods -- and the Unseen Damage Left Behind by Rebecca Brown Wright at ADDitude Magazine

Last edited by namazu; 06-28-18 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: Replaced link to ADDitude (not allowed; commercial site with forums) w/print-friendly version of article
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
speculative (07-13-18)
Old 06-28-18, 11:36 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Flooding - is it really caused by ADHD?

Thomas Brown (clinical psychologist) writes a lot about emotional dysregulation as a core symptom of ADHD. I'm not knowledgeable about "flooding", but it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to think that flooding might be one of the ways that emotionally dysregulated people express their anger.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (06-30-18), amberwillow (06-28-18)
Old 06-28-18, 01:18 PM
Well Modulated Moderator

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,193 Posts
amberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant future

Flooding doesn't have to just occur as an an experience of anger. It can be any emotion. I would sometimes get overwhelmed by an experience of sudden washes of Respect or Awe and burst into tears... Flooding ties into mood lability (I hope I spelt that right), which you can also look up.
acdc01 (06-30-18), Lunacie (06-28-18), PoppnNSailinMan (06-29-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-18, 03:26 PM

Thanked 25,998 Times in 12,130 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
I was reading a post on the adhd support forum and the poster brought up the subject of flooding.

I guess supposedly "flooding" is when a person has anger/rage outbursts. They say logic flies out the door during these floods. Below is a link sarahsweets had provided which explain it more.

Is this really caused soley by ADHD? It doesn't feel like it to me. I can see how ADHD can make it so you can't think straight, that you can't help but vocalize uncontrolled thoughts.

But I can't see how it can generate the anger unless something else is wrong. Like low self-esteem making you angry at the world. Or that it can let you constantly hurt others with your yelling unless deep inside, you are a selfish person that just doesn't care enough about how your actions affect others.

Am I sounding like a not understanding NT here? My guess is yes but I just don't understand.

I'm cool as a cucumber (compared to most people anyway) even though ADHD does make me blurt thoughts out sometimes.

My Daughter's Emotional Floods -- and the Unseen Damage Left Behind by Rebecca Brown Wright at ADDitude Magazine
If you don't have extreme moments of emotion, you're very lucky.

If you don't feel overwhelmed at least once a day, you're very lucky.

But it doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have adhd.

This is a spectrum disorder, we all have different symptoms and they can be
different varieties of severe or mild.

I do think the mom in the article has the right idea of putting good stuff into
the adhd'ers emotional banks.

My adhd granddaughter went through that stage of hating herself and
being convinced that everyone else hated her too.

I'm happy to say that she's 20 now and left that stage behind long ago.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (06-30-18), amberwillow (06-29-18), Wire Mother (08-13-18)
Old 06-28-18, 04:23 PM

Thanked 27,066 Times in 13,145 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

maybe a lot of this comes from a combination of sensory overload and sheer frustration;
Also a quieter person with adhd may not actually vocalize these moments, in the first place
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (06-30-18), amberwillow (06-29-18), Little Missy (06-30-18)
Old 06-28-18, 04:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

I think it comes from my inability to organize multiple stimuli. The most salient stimuli wins and becomes the thing upon which I perseverate: I take anger, mix it with rage and resentment, and I make 'crazy soup!'
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allesandro1 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (06-30-18), Little Missy (06-29-18)
Old 06-29-18, 02:33 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberwillow View Post
Flooding doesn't have to just occur as an an experience of anger. It can be any emotion. I would sometimes get overwhelmed by an experience of sudden washes of Respect or Awe and burst into tears... Flooding ties into mood lability (I hope I spelt that right), which you can also look up.
I agree. I rarely get angry, but I do sometimes have something happen which will trigger feelings of extreme distress and sadness that are utterly out of proportion to what happened. These feelings might be triggered by my not being able to find something that I've misplaced whereby I jump to the conclusion that it has probably been permanently lost (which is almost never the case) or by something of mine getting damaged or broken. The feelings will come flooding in and then after they've subsided maybe a half an hour or an hour later, I'll wonder how I could have felt so distraught by what happened.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (06-30-18), Little Missy (06-30-18), Lunacie (06-29-18)
Old 06-30-18, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Thomas Brown (clinical psychologist) writes a lot about emotional dysregulation as a core symptom of ADHD. I'm not knowledgeable about "flooding", but it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to think that flooding might be one of the ways that emotionally dysregulated people express their anger.
I might be able to buy that ADHD could possibly cause flooding (though still not sold) but it's really hard to embrace this idea that emotional dysregulation is a core symptom of ADHD.

If it were, why is it that not a single DSM listed symptom of ADHD is caused by emotional dysregulation?

You'd think if it was a core symptom that every single one of us have then you'd see flooding, mood swings, etc - things related to emotional dysregulation as part of the DSM symptoms.

Is this just one "expert" says or is this something that is overall accepted. I also had thought some things Barkley said were garbage as well. I don't think just cause one or some experts think something, makes it true.
Old 06-30-18, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
If you don't have extreme moments of emotion, you're very lucky.

If you don't feel overwhelmed at least once a day, you're very lucky.

But it doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have adhd.

This is a spectrum disorder, we all have different symptoms and they can be
different varieties of severe or mild.
Tbh, I don't even think I have mild emotional dysregulation. I just don't think I have it.

I know about a handful of adhders. Of those, about 60% don't seem to have emotional dysregulation to me.

ADHD makes us prone to many comorbids. Like we are much more likely to have bipolar or some other mental illness. Maybe it's the same with emotional dysregulation? Or perhaps a comorbid cause it? Like autism could cause flooding couldn't it?

Last edited by acdc01; 06-30-18 at 11:22 AM..
Old 06-30-18, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberwillow View Post
That's interesting.
Little Missy (06-30-18)
Old 06-30-18, 12:03 PM

Thanked 25,998 Times in 12,130 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I might be able to buy that ADHD could possibly cause flooding (though still not sold) but it's really hard to embrace this idea that emotional dysregulation is a core symptom of ADHD.

If it were, why is it that not a single DSM listed symptom of ADHD is caused by emotional dysregulation?

You'd think if it was a core symptom that every single one of us have then you'd see flooding, mood swings, etc - things related to emotional dysregulation as part of the DSM symptoms.

Is this just one "expert" says or is this something that is overall accepted. I also had thought some things Barkley said were garbage as well. I don't think just cause one or some experts think something, makes it true.
ADHD is a spectrum disorder. Very few have all of the symptoms, much less to
the same degree.

At this time, the DSM-5 lists emotional dysregulation as a separate disorder:
DMDD or Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder.

Emotional dysregulation may also play a part in impulsivity and depression.

And no, it's not just one expert saying this is a core feature of adhd ...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5110580/

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (07-01-18)
Old 06-30-18, 12:12 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:

Emotional dysregulation used to be a core symptom listed in DSM, but it got eliminated. Not sure why. Russell Barkley said that he thinks the elimination was a huge mistake.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (07-01-18), Little Missy (06-30-18), Lunacie (06-30-18), speculative (07-06-18)
Old 06-30-18, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Emotional dysregulation used to be a core symptom listed in DSM, but it got eliminated. Not sure why. Russell Barkley said that he thinks the elimination was a huge mistake.
Thanks. Well if it specifically got removed, then there are obviously others that don't believe emotional dysregulation is part of ADHD. I think I still lean toward agreeing with them right now.

Though I admit, it's hard to tell what's a comorbid and what's part of ADHD.
CharlesH (06-30-18)
Old 06-30-18, 04:25 PM

Thanked 21,487 Times in 11,522 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I have no control over my emotions.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 07-01-18, 05:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,444 Times in 15,032 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I guess flooding can be a thing but how you choose to act on that is my issue. It cant be used as an excuse to be mean or hateful or violence.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
speculative (07-13-18)