ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 07-03-18, 01:48 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,369 Times in 7,154 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Child gets embarrassing add award.

Yeah, that's the conclusion I keep coming back pretty Much Daves. There's just too much unknown here to form a real solid opinion.
But I too feel the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing on this as well.

And I agree with everyone who feels it'd be great to know the kid's side of the story and how he really felt.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

Old 07-03-18, 05:02 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,457 Times in 14,482 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think we are getting caught up in what the teachers' intentions were and it doesnt really matter. The fact is that it was a bad judgement call. The boy was upset enough to talk to his mom about it. Now, I am not saying any lawsuit is necessary but it does show a lack of sensitivity on the teacher's part. It doesnt make sense. If she wanted to give funny awards she could have given out "most likely to be distracted" or "most likely to stare out the window" or even "day dreamer" aware. I am not saying any of these things would be better but it is a way for the teacher to be funny without highlighting someone's actual disability.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-03-18)
Old 07-03-18, 05:59 AM

psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
The boy was upset enough to talk to his mom about it.
I don't think he did though. In the article it says the mom found the award in the boy's room...making me believe the boy didn't actually go and talk to his mom about it...which leads me to wonder how much of a drama queen the mother is being.
Did the boy really cry? Was it really even that big of a deal to him? Or is it the mom feeding the media with exaggerations?

Quote:
If she wanted to give funny awards she could have given out "most likely to be distracted" or "most likely to stare out the window" or even "day dreamer" aware. I am not saying any of these things would be better but it is a way for the teacher to be funny without highlighting someone's actual disability.
Wait...how is this any different than what she did? Her original award according to what you just typed...doesn't highlight his actual disability either then. No where does it explicitly state he has ADHD.

(((((((MOM)))))))

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-18, 06:44 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,457 Times in 14,482 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly I want you to know that I do not disagree with you entirely lest we have a clash that hurts each others' feelings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
I don't think he did though. In the article it says the mom found the award in the boy's room...making me believe the boy didn't actually go and talk to his mom about it...which leads me to wonder how much of a drama queen the mother is being.
Did the boy really cry? Was it really even that big of a deal to him? Or is it the mom feeding the media with exaggerations?
I guess the part about tears in his eyes made me think he did cry. I do not agree with the lawsuit, people are way to litigious now-in-days. I do agree that the teacher should at the very least explain her intentions and apologize if for nothing else that it seems to have bothered the boy and his mom. Apologizing doesnt always mean an admission of guilt, it can just be plain old empathy because most people do not want to hurt someone's feelings-least of all a students'.

Quote:
Wait...how is this any different than what she did? Her original award according to what you just typed...doesn't highlight his actual disability either then. No where does it explicitly state he has ADHD.
I didnt do a very good job with my example. Maybe I am assuming the 504 accommodations are known to the other kids so that they are already aware of the adhd. Maybe not. But even if they do not know the boy does and I think and general "goofy" award is way better than being so specific to his disability.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (07-03-18)
Old 07-03-18, 07:32 AM

(((((((Sweets)))))))

I'm not sure why I'm reacting so strongly to this story lol...just one of those things I suppose.
I'm also rather good at sticking my foot in my mouth at times as you know >.<'

And I sure hope I don't cause a clash that permanently effects any of my relationships with you guys outside of this thread...though I think I'm pretty close to it. I'm afraid i'm upsetting some here.

I loves you guys!

...now lets continue our fight argument debate shall we?

I'M RIGHT AND YOU'RE ALL WRONG!

/end thread.

WAIT WAIT WAIT!
I was just kidding! Please don't beat me up!!!
It's my one and only weakness!!

(((((((MOM)))))))

Old 07-03-18, 08:51 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

The vast majority of teachers are in it for good intentions, and so if the teacher went to the effort of creating an ADD award, she probably thought it was an endearing thing. I doubt she had the intent to bully. She probably didn't think it was revealing confidential health info because it was probably really obvious to everyone that he had ADHD.

I'm not saying that she did the right thing. What she did was idiotic, and she should apologize. I just wanted to push back against people who are jumping to label her a bully. And I just don't think this society needs another lawsuit. Schools already have enough to deal with.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (07-03-18)
Old 07-03-18, 11:32 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,454 Times in 11,837 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post

From the article, here's what the award looks like ...

Quote:
The certificate boasts a zombie being lifted into the air by a balloon and a gold ribbon that reads “good work.”
The phrase “#ADDAward” appears in a banner above her her son Derek’s name

“Most likely to be distracted by ... look something shiny!” it reads.
What if she gave an award to a student with Tourette's for being most disruptive?

"Tourette's Award ... most likely to disrupt the ... shiit! urgh! fuuck!"

What about a bipolar award?

"Bipolar Award ... most likely to hug someone in the morning and hit them in the afternoon."

And no, I wouldn't go straight to a lawsuit either. But these awards
(there was also an award for forgetting to return borrowed items)
are not amusing. They can be very hurtful.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 07-03-18, 12:40 PM

I hadn't even noticed that it said ADDaward on the certificate itself.

Even still..I can see that itself being meant in a positive way. But oh well haha.

(((((((MOM)))))))