ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-12-10, 01:41 PM
Contributor

fropunka is a jewel in the roughfropunka is a jewel in the roughfropunka is a jewel in the rough
Why is Adderall sooo touchy??

I am getting super sick of my Adderall IR not working one day, and then the next day I feel like I took too much, then the next day is great.

Are all stim meds like that?? I need some suggestions on how to even everything out. I can't switch to XR because I had stomach surgery.

If I were though...I'd be Cashews.

But Daddy, I WANT IT NOW!!!-vercua salt
Old 08-12-10, 01:50 PM

Noki is on a distinguished road
Re: Why is Adderall sooo touchy??

I'm experiencing some ups and downs with that drug right now. I forgot to take it last Monday and ever since that day I've been feeling really really tired than usual. And even though I've been taking it everyday since then, this tired and run down feel just won't go away.
Old 08-12-10, 02:13 PM
Jr Member

sbf187 is on a distinguished road

I am taking Adderall XR 20mg (just increased from 10mg). I have the same issues! Sometimes it seems like it takes 2-3 hours to kick in even, and most of the time it barely does anything for me. I have had one day where it lasted 10 hours and it worked like a dream (AWESOME!), but that only happened once, and ever since then the benefits seem to come and go as they please during the day. RX typically doesn't last more than 5 hours for me.. don't know how I got that one 10 hour day, but it was great, and I hope it happens again! Except for that one 10 hour day though, the benefits are just not really noticeable, and VERY touchy indeed. It's funny.. I'll take it, it barely kicks in 2 hours later, lasts for an hour, goes away for an hour, comes back strong for one last hour, and then nothing after that.. I also get days where it feels like it doesn't come or go, the benefits just never show up at all. ugh.. so frustrating..

I haven't tried the IR, but if there are complaints coming from IR and XR people then I am definitely inclined to think that yes, stimulants are very touchy.. I'm just assuming that though.. don't take my word for it.

I will say that with the increase from 10mg to 20mg there was a differnce though, and even though things are still up and down and could be much better most days, I've experienced much better results with the increased dosage. I think I could actually stand to go a little higher.. maybe.. i'll be talking to my psychologist in 2 weeks to figure that out

What I've been told from my psychologist is that the dosage needed for each person depends on how far away from "normal" your chemical levels are. Are you at a low dosage? Maybe you need it bumped up just very slightly??

Best case scenario is to talk to your psychiatrist/psychologist/doctor, whoever is treating you. That's what I'll be doing after my 2week trial period is over with 20 mg. It helps to keep track every day and show the log to him. These guys treat hundreds of ADHD patients and typically know what to do and why things are happening based off of lots of experience. =) I guess some are better than others though, but I know my psychologist is very helpful when I talk to him about dosages and what exactly is going on with the effects it is having on me. =)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-10, 03:32 PM
Contributor

fropunka is a jewel in the roughfropunka is a jewel in the roughfropunka is a jewel in the rough

I have talked to my psychiatrist. She looks at me like

I have taken it on an empty stomach, full stomach, with water, with pop (ya I know I'm not suppose to), tired, not tired, in a good mood, in a bad mood.

On Tuesday my meds didn't work at all, yesterday I had a great productive work day, and then this morning I was all nervous and jittery, and now I'm fine.

Edit: I also tired taking it with my celexa....BIG MISTAKE. I almost fell asleep on my desk!

If I were though...I'd be Cashews.

But Daddy, I WANT IT NOW!!!-vercua salt
Old 08-12-10, 07:05 PM
Jr Member

sbf187 is on a distinguished road

Well shoot.. I'll prepare myself to get the same confused look from my psych too then! haha Have you read any of the threads on here about the Adderall manufacturers and their questionable reputations/products? Kinda makes ya wonder, ya know? I like this topic though, and I'm glad it was brought up! I would really like to know why Adderall is so touchy myself, and what to do to make it more consistent
Old 08-12-10, 07:16 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

Your other medications may be interfering. Its a great stimulant.
Try this:
Eat a high protein and fat breakfast. Okay thats not realistic, just make a protein shake.
Take 5mg. Then every hour or so, take 2.5mg. This has been very effective for me whenever I want to keep a consistent rate. If you have a problem with this, take 5 mg every two hours or so. Stop when you feel that you took too much.
Keep doing this and you can find out what is a good amount for yourself, and even when you need to take it. Maybe in the afternoon you will feel a nice 10mg will be better or whatever. I think you just need to find the perfect schedule for yourself.

Corepharama is notorious for making pills that fluctuate. One will feel like nothing, another will feel like too much. The best way IMO is to powder your pills together and measure the powder (exact measurements aren't that helpful, having maybe a little scoop is better since its more 'natural'). It allows for more consistency, but looks extremely shady.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naussicaa For This Useful Post:
APM81 (08-14-10), fropunka (08-12-10)
Old 08-12-10, 08:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

twinch42085 has a spectacular aura abouttwinch42085 has a spectacular aura about

Have you tried other stimulants?
Old 08-14-10, 07:40 PM
Jr Member

Nutellanick is on a distinguished road

You deffinately do not want to take it with soda, anything acidic just kills it.
Old 08-14-10, 07:52 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

I wouldn't say kill... weaken is probably a better word. By what degree I do not know, but a raise in the amount taken counteracts that if you must have your carbonated sugar water.

Its not a good idea to drink it though, just because the sugars in it also affect adderall.