ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-14, 06:24 PM

QuietPlease72 is on a distinguished road
Adult ADHD and Sensory Gating disorder

I was wondering how many others have these two issues combined. I have such a hard time with sounds. People speaking too loud or speaking constantly. Trying to work in my office but hearing conversations in other parts of the house. Repetitive noises can make me homicidal...lol...I have no ability to shut out sounds that are irrelevant to me. I generally don't like kids (i have two of mine and two step kids) because they are too noisy for me. I absolutely have to have a certain amount of time every week of peaceful work and me time to feel normal. Anyone else?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QuietPlease72 For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-07-16), Funky1 (04-25-18), loubr (03-13-16)
Old 08-13-14, 07:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,088 Times in 12,175 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adult ADHD and Sensory Gating disorder

Yes, there are quite a few of us here. There have been other threads on the topic.

When I first started learning about it, it was called Sensory Integration Disorder.
That changed to Sensory Processing Disorder.
I've never heard it called Sensory Gating Disorder.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-07-16), QuietPlease72 (08-14-14)
Old 08-14-14, 02:34 PM

Yes...I read up on Sensory Processing disorder and it seems different from what I have. My problems are about ignoring, or gating noises that aren't important to me (dogs, a mower, a conversation) I am also slightly SPD in the auditory aspect where things are too loud for me...but the gating or blocking of the sounds themselves is what I have more issues with. I looked for other threads but didn't see any..perhaps they are called SPD and I was looking for SGD.
The Following User Says Thank You to QuietPlease72 For This Useful Post:
Tetrahedra (09-08-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-14, 03:53 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

That is very much an ADHD thing. We can't seem to prioritize our attention so all noises seem important. Most of us call it 'filtering.'

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-07-16), BellaVita (05-07-16), hutchie0109 (09-19-17), speculative (08-26-14)
Old 08-14-14, 04:03 PM

Thanked 27,110 Times in 13,166 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

either i hear nothing, or everything...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-07-16), gatherer (08-14-14), hutchie0109 (09-19-17), Simargl (05-08-16)
Old 08-14-14, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
either i hear nothing, or everything...
Me too! My family is having a hard time understanding that I need quiet time to work (I have a home office) and quiet time to JUST BE. Otherwise I get anxious and irritated and short with people. The more alone and quiet time I have the better I feel, the more level headed and balanced I can be.

I am newly diagnosed with ADD/ADHD (I have a hard time with the hyperactive part because I don't have any of it) and the sensory gating disorder..but it's good to find out after all these years why I act the way I do...most people I think wrote it off as me being flaky
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QuietPlease72 For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-07-16), OhLookABunny (02-21-15), stef (08-14-14)
Old 09-24-15, 01:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

Frustrated One has a spectacular aura aboutFrustrated One has a spectacular aura about

I am like that too. I cannot read it there is any noise going on.

I just started a new job a few weeks ago as a supervisor in a warehouse. I cannot listen to people who are right in front of me when all I hear is beep beep beep from the forklifts and the noise of the other lift trucks. Also, everyone else seems to have no problem just dropping the empty pallets on the ground from about 4 feet high. That not only causes extreme pain, but is also very distracting even if it is more than 50 feet away. Unfortunately, I was without work for a long time, so I cannot afford to be picky right now, but every time I go up front to the office, it is so quite you can hear a pin drop and it is such a relief as soon as I walk in and the door to the warehouse closes.

In a social setting, I can hear conversations or other sounds across the room, but cannot concentrate on the person in front of me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frustrated One For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-07-16)
Old 10-12-15, 07:05 AM

Greeno is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated One View Post
In a social setting, I can hear conversations or other sounds across the room, but cannot concentrate on the person in front of me.
Oh man I can totally relate to that!

A noisy shopping mall on my own can be relaxing and calm, but as soon as I am with one or more people it becomes too much, a real sensory overload and I get stressed out and irritable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greeno For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-07-16)
Old 05-07-16, 08:09 PM

Persistence9 is on a distinguished road

I work in a busy office, but fortunately have my own office with a door that I can close.

Most of the staff work with their doors open throughout the day because the nature of our work requires that we 'cross-consult' quite frequently. The noise of people walking up and down the hallway and the constant interruptions of people dropping into my office for something relatively unimportant makes me feel overwhelmed and exhausted. My job requires focus and there is a lot of multi-tasking involved.

I have started closing my office door and if someone really needs to speak with me they can tap lightly and I will invite them in. But other employees have mentioned that they think I'm closing myself off from others.

I mentioned that I have very sensitive hearing and the constant background noise is very distracting for me. There doesn't seem to be much understanding of this issue in general.

I focus so much better with the office door closed, and get much more work done.

I also feel overwhelmed, irritated and frustrated when there is a lot of background noise and someone in the environment is speaking to me. It is difficult to hear and focus on the person speaking and my agitation level goes really high.

Could ADD be the cause of this?
The Following User Says Thank You to Persistence9 For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-07-16)
Old 05-07-16, 09:13 PM

Thanked 14,557 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistence9 View Post
Could ADD be the cause of this?
Absolutely!

Inability to filter out irrelevant sound is, at times, enough to make me fit to be tied. Sometimes the smallest sound will just utterly destroy my ability to concentrate on the thing of my choosing.

Thank goodness for meds, as they help me so very much in this regard.

---

I can appreciate the benefit you get from closing your door, but please do realize that doing so will have real consequences...social, political, and to your career.

Is there anything else you can do? Headphones? Change of desk position? Use of furniture and/or wall treatments to absorb sound reflections?

Well-Wishes,
Ian
Old 05-07-16, 09:28 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,904 Times in 9,304 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

I always hear everything, all the time. I have no ability to filter - everything is loud and at the same volume of each other. For example - someone speaking is at the same volume as music playing. (Music that is supposed to be background music) Another example: Or coffee machines in a coffee shop are at the same volume as everyone speaking. And that person speaking who is sitting four tables away - they sound just as loud as the person sitting in front of me speaking.

It's very overloading.

It cannot be shut off.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-07-16), Simargl (05-08-16)
Old 05-08-16, 01:51 AM

Thanked 27,110 Times in 13,166 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeno View Post

A noisy shopping mall on my own can be relaxing and calm, but as soon as I am with one or more people it becomes too much, a real sensory overload and I get stressed out and irritable.
Exactly!!! and then if it actually gets overwhelming well i just leave. but if youre with someone its hard to say, k done, gotta get out of here now.or they will say sure and then youre in a noisy café or something.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-08-16), hutchie0109 (09-19-17)
Old 05-08-16, 10:05 AM

Yep. I once worked the winter holiday at a photography studio, calling people to confirm appointments.

I could not do this sitting in the studio (in the mall) so the manager helped set up a place for me in the stock room where I could close the door.

Couldn't wear noise-cancelling headphones if I was making calls on the telephone, eh?

But noise-cancelling headphones might help you. And positioning your desk so you don't have to see the daily parade in the hallway.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-08-16)
Old 05-08-16, 12:50 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,882 Times in 1,245 Posts
Simargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud of

I can relate. Loud noises and repetitive sounds can set me off and raise my anxiety. I'm one of those people who have a hard time listening to others eat. For some reason I thought this would get better after taking meds...no.

Crackling bags, crunchy food, smacking lips... I'm on edge. I put my headphones in while I work but I really wish there was a way I could control this.
aeon (05-08-16)
Old 07-27-16, 10:36 AM

Pandaleeluv is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Adult ADHD and Sensory Gating disorder

I am not adult yet, but from the way people talk my eating issues are not going to go away. I am overly sensitive to food texture mainly is very thick creamy foods and crispy foods and ir stringy foods.
So basically all fruits and vegtables except Pickles, Apples, Potatos, and Green Beans for some odd reason. I have never had any issues in meat, but as of recently I have noticed I have been getting sensitive to very thick creamy desserts. Like Ice cream, Frosting, Cheese Cake. And I don't knoe what to do because I am scared that it will get worse and I wont be able to eat a majority of the things I like. I am 15 by the way.