ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-04, 05:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

ahalo is on a distinguished road
Waiting 1-2 months without any help

Hello, I finally received an ADHD diagnosis yesterday after waiting nearly two months to get in for the apointment. For some reason I thought I'd get the diagnosis and a prescription, and get my weekly counseling set up. Ha. I saw a *psychologist*, and I will have an appointment with him in a month to start with therapy (which I was hoping would be cognitive behavior therapy but he does a different kind I think it's called rational emotive therapy or something like that). I will not be able to see a psychiatrist until the end of October. The only good news is that the psychologist seemed to think I"m coping well with the ADHD so maybe I can stand to wait, but I'm horribly impatient about this whole process and I don't know if I can go 1-2 months between sessions with these people. I have no insurance so this is a free program, so I might consider trying to get in somewhere else and unfortunately running up a bill , but I don't know yet. Do *psychiatrists* generally do better prescribing meds or would a family doctor be OK for that too? I am so stupid when it comes to these kinds of things but I don't know about waiting two whole months..
Old 08-21-04, 08:54 PM

oceanswave is on a distinguished road
when I suspected I had ADD, I sought a psychiatrist because I knew that a psychologist could not prescrib meds..(and after experiencing ADD/ADHD symptoms my whole life, I did not want to get the run-around, I wanted to get diagnosed as soon as humanly possible) and I also knew that the family doc. really didn't know enough about me....you can get a psychiartist appointment without a refferal...just try and find one in the specialty of add/adhd, it really helps in terms of someone understanding your behavior....if you feel impatiant, just do what I did...look in your local yellow pages/or internet for someone that specializes in the area, that doesn't require a refferel...I am soooooo happy with my psychiatrist, I could not be happier- she understands add/adhd & understands everything i am going through...good luck to you!